Sick Beardie with eyes closed

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: Sick Beardie with eyes closed

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:36 pm

It would not hurt to try a regular bright white basking bulb--- it is trial and error to find out why she is keeping them closed-- I would pick up a 150 watt Intense Exo Terra solid white bulb NO coil white ones - we need to try different bulbs as to why shes keeping them closed ---
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Travisc410 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Here is what she looks like today. Her eye problem started a couple weeks ago. Prior to a few days ago she had the CFL light that came with the old cage. She’s around 9 mos. old and has had the same lights from the beginning. She’s laid on the bottom of the platform and on the bottom under the light today. The platform is 107 and that’s why the light is so close. Ambient temp on back wall thermometer is 90. Still 78 on cool side. She’s still not eating and drinking. I’ve forced water into her and a little bit of the mixed food. She will open one or both eyes when trying to open her mouth and she will jump around. She had her eye left open and I assume she could see the mealworms, leaves and everything else, but still chose not to eat. I’m not sure what else to do or how long it may take her to come around. [Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
Travisc410
Newbie Poster

Postby SandP » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:00 pm

I would replace the mvb with a regular heat bulb. Since she had the eye problems before this bulb it's not what's caused it but being so close isn't helping and could be making it worse. Instead of giving water I personally would give the mixed food and if you think she needs more hydration I would add water to that. Water is great but she needs protein especially at her age.
SandP
Hatchling Poster

Postby Travisc410 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 am

Me again with an update and a question. Things are looking better! She is moving around, she will open both eyes and she is eating. I am glad I am not having to force feed her anymore. The temperatures seem to be regulated well and I think that is certainly helping. We got a lot of salad stuff for her to eat and she seems to like it. I also got the fly larvae as well as the Dubia roaches mentioned. My only question is, how much of that should I be feeding her in addition to the salad? Thanks for the help!
Travisc410
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:14 am

That is great news- what basking light are you using? The mvb or reg bright white? She can eat as many BSFL in her salad as you want to feed her supplementing the dubias- I would put 10-12 roaches in her salad bowl and see how many she eats- go from there - feed her again in the afternoon do not dust them start w/ 5 see how many she eats go from there--
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie ER