Sick Beardie with eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My daughter has a Beardie that seems to be sick. She got it new about nine months ago. It is around 10 inches long. Everything had been fine until the past few days. A week and a half ago we noticed one eye was staying closed. She was shedding some so we did not think too much of it. A few days ago she had both eyes closed and would keep them closed. She is not moving around like she normally does and it’s pretty lethargic. After looking online we saw that it means she is sick. The people who sold her to us (my mother in law, not me) sold us a 10 gallon tank. After looking online I have found out that the tank is way too small. The tank temperature during the day was always around 80°. At night time she was told to turn the lights off. And that is how it has been ever since we had her.

After talking with other people, I went out and got a 40 gallon tank with new lights and everything. Now the left side is at 80° and the right side is at 100°. The relative humidity is around 30%. We’ve had the new tank for two days now. I leave the heat lamp on and turn the UV light off at night time. That is keeping the right side of the tank at 90°. There is a platform in the tank on the warm side and the thermometer to measure the temperature is level with that. That is what I found suggested online somewhere. Yesterday she actually went to the bathroom and opened one of her eyes for a little bit. She also ate and drank some. This morning she was over near the cooler side and the remainder of the day she has been under the platform on the warm side.

However, she is still lethargic and still has both of her eyes closed. She drank more water today. She does not like anything with the calcium put on it. She eats meal worms (6-10) mainly. Occasionally she will eat some fruit and lettuce. She also had a bath yesterday in some stuff that is supposed to provide her electrolytes. The closest reptile vet is at least four hours away from where we are. I do not know how long it would take her to rebound if her only problem has been the living conditions. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on what we can do here?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
New lights ? Please tell me you didnt buy a coil UVB? If so take it back ---- here is some info on the lighting
Lighting
Bearded Dragons require full spectrum lighting for 12-14 hours a day. Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tubes are known to provide some of the best full UVB for your dragons. The coils or compacts of the same brand aren't recommended, as they have shown to cause eye problems and reduction of appetite. The Reptiglo brand is also not recommended, tube, coil or compact, as it has been associated with causing eye problems, lethargy and not eating. These fluorescent bulbs should be 2/3rds of the tank should be able to come within 12-15 inches of the light. The UVB should be mounted inside the tank to allow your dragon 100% of the UVB. On top of the tank can filter out up to 50% of the UVB rays your dragon needs. Mercury vapour bulbs are also a good heat & UVB source, but to allow your dragon full use of the UVB it is best to not use the mesh tank tops. Mounting them on a lampstand with a dome without using a top will allow full use of the UVB. Having the correct type of UVB light is also important to help their bones develop strong and healthy.
For a 40+ gallon tank you need a 24" fixture I can recommend fixtures but I need to know what you bought first -- you also need to have a digital probe thermometer for basking temps to be read accurately NO stick ons--- temps for a juvenile dragon should be 95-100 -- your dragon cannot properly digest his food w/ out those temps -- nor the correct UVB --- please get this changed out ASAP --- let me know what you need help w/ and I will help you

the uvb light might be a problem. If you cant afford the ones that people are saying, try getting two coils. For now maybe give them a sunbath outside. You need to give her more veggies and quick. they NEED veggies. Kale, bell peppers, fruit, you can look up more online. Pls let me know how shes doing.

Travisc410

Original Poster
How do you post an image here? I got a tank that had bulbs and all included. I figure showing an image of what I have would be easier.

Travisc410

Original Poster
110828-2888737819.jpg
110828-6514998460.jpg
Thanks for pic upload info! Any suggestions on how to get her to eat? She did open one eye earlier. Looks like it may have a pink film on it but not sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the Power Sun is a good MVB but it needs to be 14-16 inches thru a screen -- is she sitting under the basking light or moving off to the side ? How long does she bask there for? I am wondering if its too powerful for that tank -- I am going to get someone else on here to help w/ this --

Travisc410

Original Poster
She was on that platform at first before the second heat lamp. She laid there for a few hours. This morning she was on the left side near the back left rock sculpture laying on the floor. Then later today she was partially under the angled platform, but mainly under it. She’s laying on the lower part of the platform currently. I think it’s too hot up top with both lights. It’s hot to the touch. But I’m not sure what it should feel like for them. She had a bath with electrolyte power earlier. She said some skin some during that as well. Put more veggies and stuff in there for her now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to get a basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer ASAP take the probe place it under the basking area - I am thinking its way to hot and shes cooking-- it should not be over 110- I have asked someone else on the forum to help w/ the MVB --

Travisc410

Original Poster
I’m confused - if the temp on right is 100 on the side, isn’t that the temperature in there? If it’s 100 there why would it be hotter any lower?

feeding tips- handfeeding maybe? when was the last time she ate/poop? try taking her out to feed. mine wont eat unless hes in his playpen or not in his age. try long pieces of kale. if he wont eat, there is ways to force feed. pls look up before though, i dont have experience with this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please do not feed anymore mealworms they are too harsh on babies stomachs- - and no more lettuce- I will post a website for nutrition tomorrow--what else are you feeding---- sounds like your getting ambient temps which mean directly under that bulb it's going to be alot hotter
What light are you leaving on at nite? There should be no lights on at night! Are you using a colored bulb? They are harmful to their eyes and can cause long term eye damage--- dragons like cool and dark - temps at nite should not fall below 65 not above 75

Travisc410

Original Poster
Meal worms - same thing since the beginning. I really don’t know what else to feed her if you say no lettuce and meal worms. One bulb is red and other is purple like a black light. I’m torn here - one group says 100 for warmth and you’re saying cool and dark at night. And if the thermostat says 100 on the side that’s not a correct temp. With one bulb it’s only 93 Ish. These appear to be extremely complicated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so get rid of the colored bulbs-- they are very harmful to your dragon----- your temps need to be not below 65 at nite--- no higher than 75-- cool and dark dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads light at night keep them awake- take the probe set on the basking decor piece where she would sit to bask- if that temp is above 110 it's too hot- - your dragon needs a staple feeder like crickets dubia roaches bsfl salads every morning-- collard turnip mustard or kale are good greens squash zucchini or yellow I will get a website posted tomorrow- lettuce has no nutritional value and will give runny stools meal worms are too much of a risk for impaction--- staple feeders should be no bigger than the space between their eyes length wise- if you feed the feeder too big it will impact them- your dragon will eventually quit eating w/ out proper basking temps and UVB- they are the most important things in the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom