Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpMama

105806-4119330011.jpg
105806-3311722791.jpg
105806-5897036572.jpg
105806-4119330011.jpg
105806-4089532159.jpg
The 1st photo is his good eye. The others are of his funky eye that he won't open much. Ok so yesterday my bearded dragon didn't open his right eye much all day. He opens the left eye. I attached some photos. He is about to shed all over his back, arms, head, face, legs. He is 4 years old and I've never seen him keep his eye closed like this. 2nd day and Im scared. I emailed the vet, she didn't get back to me yet. My guy is kinda clumsy, and sometimes bumps into stuff when he is running around like a mad man. He is pretty active and healthy, has a healthy weight and was just seen for his annual comprehensive physical exam which includes fecal sample tested twice, and even xrays and blood work. My dude has a clean bill of health as of like a month ago. He eats, drinks water, he is active and loves to cuddle. Then suddenly his eye is messed up.

What the heck could this be? I tried giving him a bath in his personal sink yesterday, I tried giving him a shower today, then i tried gently touching his eye with a saline solution soaked cotton pad. His eye does not appear to be swollen. I've looked at both of his eyes. When I pick him up he sometimes opens it a little and I was able to catch a quick few photos. Im super worried about my precious dragon boy. I ordered some tuetle/reptile eye drops on Amazon they should be here today or tomorrow. I read i could try some honey diluted with water?

Anyone else have a suggestion? His basking spot is about 6 inches from the light source. I have a combo of round uva/uvb bulbs, ceramic heat emitters, and 2 very long bulbs, the high output t5 bulbs running the length of the tank, but I have all of those on top of the screen. This combo is how I keep the humidity under 50, and the cool side is 80 degrees, the warm side is about 110 degrees.
105806-1396064666.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It looks like shed --- but I will have some one else take a look for sure-- your screen on the tank is a fine mesh screen like a screen door or a wide hole type- you really only need one good UVB and that would be the T 5 -- distance and placement is key here for the UVB

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree that it might be related to shed, sometimes a little speck can get in the eye. The other possibility is that the uvb is too close and affecting that eye. Can you post pics of his tank + light set up ? Turtle drops can help soothe it as well as diluted honey, the honey must be raw, unpasteurized and you have to be 100 % sure there are no loose insects in the tank to attack his eye at night. BTW, his eye looks blue in that pic, I suppose it's just the angle + lighting ?

Anyway, this is likely just something simple that can be treated with the ointment/drops and possible adjustment of lights but not a serious problem.

HerpMama

Original Poster
Thank you both for responding. My lil guy's lights are all out right now, but I can take a photo tomorrow sometime and post it. His eyelids are a gorgeous pale blue yes, his eyes are more like sunshine ? yellowish.

So I have a 75 gallon glass tank I got pretty cheap, and im wanting to upgrade his enclosure, and get a bigger and better one. Can either if you give any recommendations on a good place to purchase one? I was hoping to get a front opening enclosure that is more lightweight, and has fixtures build into it and lots of space for my guy to run around!

HerpMama

Original Poster
Thank you both for responding. My lil guy's lights are all out right now, but I can take a photo tomorrow sometime and post it. His eyelids are a gorgeous pale blue yes, his eyes are more like sunshine ? yellowish.

So I have a 75 gallon glass tank I got pretty cheap, and im wanting to upgrade his enclosure, and get a bigger and better one. Can either if you give any recommendations on a good place to purchase one? I was hoping to get a front opening enclosure that is more lightweight, and has fixtures build into it and lots of space for my guy to run around!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A light weight tank that is made of PVC w/ bamboo sides and back is what I am using its called a Zen Habitat www.zenhabitat.com --- I have two of those tanks and am pretty happy w/ it - the other tanks that people use are using is Carolina Cages they are glass --- https://carolinadesignerdragons.com/
the UVB lighting they are showing in the tank I would not get- I think it is attached to the UVB fixture - you want to be able to move that bulb if need be -- there are other places as well like these but I dont know of anyone using these on this forum
https://talkingserpents.com/
https://apcages.com/
You can look at them and decide ---
If you are a carpenter you can check out the DIY board on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom