I broke my beardie's tail. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bam97

About 8 hours ago I accidentally pinched the cage door very hard on my beardies tail. He's about 8-9 year's old.

I wasn't sure how long to wait to apply betadine but i went ahead and a bottle about hour after injury with 10% providone-iodine (I wasn't sure if 5% was better choice or not and couldnt' find any info online) as well as neosporin (the non pain relief kind as recommended) which I soaked his tail in.

I called a vet and she tells me it's better I wait 3 more days until we see extent of how much blood circulation was cut off and how black his tail gets to really see what we can do.

I then called a second vet who has availability to assess my beardie tomorrow morning and I suppose it can't hurt to go to as well.

Here are pictures with descriptions below each image: https://imgur.com/a/TjCylRp

His bone looks broken and that seems to me like it's very likely we will cut his tail off? Is best case scenario blood doesn't get cut off too bad and I keep applying betadine to prevent infection and he just lives with the pain of a broken tail for rest of life? Or is it inevitable to cut tail off? It seems horrible to live with a broken tail and I havent seen any examples on internet where broken bones are recovered? :( I don't see any other solutions on internet for this scenario. Please share any success stories or tips as I've been crying like a baby all day.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=254093 I was reading this post and saw that this person actually bandaged their tail which I will bring up to the vet.

Is it safe to assuming I shouldn't let my beardie walk around the house floor anymore to prevent infection? I don't see any cut so it's not bloody but I'm not sure

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. Hopefully he isn't in too much discomfort. Based on your photos I don't see any signs of damage or wound on the outside. That may help to protect against infection. It's good that you're putting some antibiotic ointment on the area anyway. I would probably try to keep him in his enclosure for a bit and try to make food and basking areas flat and easily accessible in order to minimize his movement and limit stress on the tail. Look out for signs of swelling or outward signs of injury like an open wound or bruising. You may want to follow up with the vet for an x-ray but I'd imagine that if infection is prevented and the tissue isn't too badly damaged then it should heal up without causing a permanent issue.

I wouldn’t cut off the tail, I would wait awhile and see how he does for about two weeks, and if he’s not any better I would take him to the vet and see if they would want to take it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom