Help 3days not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I am fairly new to being a mother to a beardie, I've had him for about 2 weeks his name is Draco and I got him from pet supermarket.. we welcome them in our home and gave him a nice cage and set up and everything he needed to get him going but unfortunately since I got him he hasn't really ate much two or three crickets here a warm or two there but no veggies.. I've gotten bee pollen put it on the veggies still no interest I've tried hand feeding still no interest well the other day he ate five crickets and I was ecstatic to see him eat so much, since then I have not seen him anything I put five crickets in at a time and I've been taking about three or four back out at night, he is still pooping everyday, he actually just pooped a nice healthy regular poop not even 2 minutes ago, but most of the time he's in his basking area, he sleeps there at night, I am feeding him with a syringe so that he gets fluids, just regular bottled water so I know he is not dehydrated I have given him three baths since we've got him, but I'm really really concerned I love this little guy and I know there's not much room for mistake when it comes to them because they're so little so if anybody can please help me and point me in the right direction, without being overly judging LOL I would greatly appreciate any help I can get, I just called a vet the soonest they can see him would be Tuesday of next week, and that's the only reptile vet in my area, my concern is it if he does not eat much he may not make it till Tuesday.. he does kind of get active at night and jumps down and walks around a little bit, usually right around dinner time but other than that he's just up on his hammock! I have a zilla t8 desert 50 UV bulb, as well as a 75 watt basking light.. where his hammock is is where he basks and it's usually around 97 to 100°. The low end is usually about 78° and he is about 8 to 10 in from the UVB bulb or the basking bulb.. I really have grown to love this little guy he's so sweet, he lets me hold him and stays right with me although I do notice he closes his eyes which I have heard means that they are uncomfortable or scared when they do that if you're petting them or holding them, but he sits right there with me and lets me touch him he's never bit me he really is a sweetie and I don't want to lose him, I just really really want him to get better, and be nice and spunky and active like all the other little babies I see when I go get his crickets at the pet store.. again if anybody can help please I would love the advice thank you and God bless

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes going to go thru relocation stress and its good hes eating - what size tank do you have him in? The Zilla T 8 is ok for a fixture but I would like for you to get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb - they are one of the best on the market --- then when you change the bulb out leave the clear plastic cover off the fixture and then please get it inside the tank - distance approx 6-8 inches directly above his basking decor - he needs to acclimate to his tank and surroundings his appetite will pick up as long as his UVB his correct and his basking temps- they need to be 105-110 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- NO stick ons NO sand NO heat rocks and please NO colored bulbs - I would get some BSFL ordered for him order large they are small feed as many as you want do not dust them and add them to the top of his salads as a lure to the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl that they cant get out of - the BSFL are a great staple feeder and for babies especially
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
If you need help w/ websites for worms / insects please let me know and I will post them --
If hes closing his eyes when you pet him that is a sign of trust -- please ask if you have more questions here is a website for nutrition please ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

DracosMama

Original Poster
Okay I was looking into the reptisun as well or Arcadia which one do you think is best and if you recommend Arcadia what percentage... Also right now his basking area is about 6 in from the top of the cage, are you sure I should mount it on the inside? And yes if you can please inform me what bslf are and post a site for them

DracosMama

Original Poster
Also that is not sand in the cage I just wanted to point out cuz it does look like it, it's actually a sand mat where all the rocks and sand are glued down onto the mat I actually took it out and shook it out really good to make sure I got any loose particles off before I put it in there because I was very cautious about the whole sand thing and him possibly getting impacted from it.... He pretty much stays on his hammock day and night he sleeps standing up against the glass up on his hammock, he basks there very rarely does he go to the cool side.. so if I'm holding him and rubbing him and he closes his eyes that's a sign of trust? People keep telling me that that means they're uncomfortable and they don't like the situation so just like humans when we get scared we close our eyes that's what he's trying to tell me.. he seems very content when I hold him and he seems to enjoy when I rub him he doesn't try to run away or anything so I was confused by him telling me all that but I think he's doing pretty good with being held and starting to trust us

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Reptisun 10.0 T 8 can be bought at Pet Smart or Petco -- please get the T 8 inside the tank it is not strong enough to go thru the screen - approx 6-8 inches from the basking decor- he is standing up to get closer to the UVB rays - please use a digital thermometer to get the basking temps off the hammock - place it where he sits to bask for 10 minutes then get the temp - 105-110 --
www.symtonbsf.com order large -- do not dust them and add to his salads in front of him - you can hand feed them as well
here are some things to hang the fixture in the tank
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers-- or this I use this it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
if you need more help please ask the closing of the eyes is what I said earlier - sign of trust

DracosMama

Original Poster
Hmm....ok.... I just don't know how I would hang the light inside because my screen top slides in and out I'll try to take a picture and attach so you can see what I mean also right now from whether you be is it's about 6 in away from his basketball, I ordered a represent as soon as it comes I will replace it and remove the clear plastic off the fixture, I also ordered the fly larvae that you recommended.. I was checking on him a little while ago and petting him and offered him a mealworm, what she ate.. but only one and then I offered a cricket and he would not take the cricket, he did drink some more water from a syringe, he's pretty active and looks like he's doing not too bad today besides the fact that he hasn't ate too much.. I do want to thank you so much for all of your help, I'm going to attach the pictures so you can see what my screen looks like and let me know if you have any ideas of how I can attach it if you still feel like you should be inside the cage

DracosMama

Original Poster
First picture is showing you how the screen slides out from the top groove, the second picture is showing how far his basking spot is from the top.. from top to bottom of enclosure is only about 10 to 12 inches so he's about 6 in away from the top of the screen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When does the new uvb bulb come? What size tank? I am gonna help.you get this placed but for now take the clear plastic cover off

DracosMama

Original Poster
The UVB bulb I ordered for curbside pickup from Petco today so I'm getting up and getting dressed I'm going to feed the kids breakfast and give Draco a crooked or two as well as some veggies and then I'm going to take off to go pick up the new bulb, I did take off the clear plastic in the meantime, and then I'm just waiting on those things that you told me to order for him to eat.. the tank is a 20 gallon thrive bearded dragon kit it was like 179.... It's about 30 inches long the tank and from bottom to top it's about 10 to 12 in high and it came with the tank, the slide in screen, a few decorations as well as two dome lights a heat light and a coil UVB, which I already switched out to the Zilla tube UVB because I knew the coil wasn't great, I also got a new heat bulbs from zoo med because after having it for 3 days my heat bulb blew it came in the thrive kit.. needless to say the only thing good that I got out of that whole tank kit was the tank n the decorations because all the lighting sucked, the screen is a pain in the butt to slide in and slide out every time I want to take him out of his cage, n like I mentioned a bulb blew out after only having it for 3 days..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so are you cooking the veggies? If so please feed raw- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
You will need a bowl like this for the insects / worms https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
When you get the new bulb put in take the fixture place width wise on the tank on one end then take a piece of decor and set it directly under the UVB -- it should sit about 6-8 inches directly under it - then take the screen and slide it up to the UVB fixture place the basking light next to it -- if you need a pic of what it looks like ask I will post a pic of the 20 gallon I had set up for Blaze when I got him- let your baby acclimate to the tank and his surroundings for now -- handle little at a time- hes a baby and in a big scary world so he needs to get used to everything going on around him- hand feed him maybe place a piece of clothing fleece blanket something w/ your smell on it so he can get used to you in his hide ---the pic you posted is adorable --

DracosMama

Original Poster
No I do not cook the veggies, I bought kale as well as collard greens and I just cut it up in small pieces and leave it raw in a bowl I tried sprinkling bee pollen on it yesterday but he wasn't too interested I'll try again today.. I meant to say I'll throw a cricket or two in with him before I leave to see if he'll eat, I do not leave them in overnight and I do not leave them in all day I usually put two to four of them in at a time sometimes I'll eat sometimes he won't but I did order those larvae things that you told me about.. I'm getting ready to take off now but if you could please send me a picture of what you want the enclosure set up like I would greatly greatly appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom