Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR3529

So my beardie is going through a shed. I gave him a bath and got most of it to come off his tail however, this is what was revealed afterwards. He is 1 year old and has shed many times but I've never seen this type of discoloration in him after a shed.
108888-9915500399.jpg
108888-3360055322.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you pick it off or it came off on its own? He looks like he got sunburned

DR3529

Original Poster
I used a toothbrush to help loosen the shed and it started coming off. He hasn't been outside in the sun as its winter here and nothing in his cage has been changed except for a new uvb bulb. Im using a 24in 17 watt reptisun 10.0 bulb which I've used since i got him a year ago. Only reason for the replacement of the bulb is bc it was 6 months old and i read they should be replaced every 6 months.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
17 watt is a T 8 I believe--- do you have that in the tank? Ok the basking bulb can cause burns too but they dont usually look like that --- I will have AHBD look but it might just be the coloring but I want her to look for sure

DR3529

Original Poster
Here is a pic of my setup. 40 gal cage, 100 watt basking bulb, a 24in 17watt reptisun uvb t8 lighting fixture, 2 hammocks, sandstone basking rocks and a water dish.
108888-1728805481.jpg

DR3529

Original Poster
Ok good. My main concern was that I assisted with the shed and thought it was bare skin. I checked on him a little bit ago and it appears to be a darker brown color now. I did notice a small wound that probably happened when I assisted. I did put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and will check on him again when i get off work.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just an FYI, never pull the shed off, you can cause damage to the scales underneath. Inexperienced owners on forums have started using the term " stuck shed " when it's just naturally taking as long as it needs.

DR3529

Original Poster
Ok. Thanks for the info. He goes to the vet next monday so hopefully if thats what I've done it can be treated. In the meantime, I've cleaned his tail with betadine solution and put triple antibiotic ointment on it just as a safety measure. The shed from his leg fell off today and the scales look a little different but its the same color as his tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom