COCCIDIA MEDS DID NOT WORK TWICE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
chester
hello! my name is alya and I have a bearded dragon named Chester chess for short and this is my first post! I have had him for about 6 months now and he's around 11 months old (vet estimated) when I got him he seemed healthy 320 grams and alert and eating well and pooping 2 per day! and a few months ago we took him to the vet (avian and exotic animal hospital) and the reason we took him was that he had a small amount of blood/mucus in the stool so we did a fecal exam and he had HIGH rates of coccidia so we medicated him and then we took another fecal In to make sure it was gone but it turns out it did not work? so then we got a different and stronger type of coccidia meds and then that finished yesterday and now I'm pissed bc he still has blood in stool :banghead: and I give him probiotics and bee pollen powder but the problem is he did not eat the whole time I was treating him :roll: I just got the bee pollen powder this morning and he finally ate after 3 weeks :blob5: he lost 10 g :banghead: but that was in a long period of time he lives in a 40 gallon (planning on upgrading into 120gall) has long 12% t5 UVB 24" and his basking bulb is uva. his basking spot depends on the day but 100-115 one time it got to 120 but that only happened on a very hot day. his cool side ranges from 75-80 hot side stays around 90 and his UVB long covers his whole tank. and the temps are measured with a temp gun! he is also getting antibiotic shots because while he was getting his second coccidia meds he has a constant black beard and (used to be very bloated) but was pooping regularly and so we took him for a checkup and the vet said it could be an internal bacterial infection and said we should do a blood test but the problem was for a blood test it cost 250$ :| and I could not afford it so we went with just treating him with shot antibiotics and he's on his last shot in 3 days he only improved with the bloating a but he keeps on black bearding and I think it could be from stress and the shots+meds so I and my parents made a deal that after all his meds are done we will wait 2 weeks for him to de-stress ant to feel better but if he does not improve/continues his black bearding we will do a blood test :D in his tank, I use paper as flooring (for easy to clean purposes) and has all plastic items to be able to clean properly basking cave/plastic log cave/ plastic salad bowl I deep clean his tank and items every day using ammonium hydroxide 10% and letting it sit for 20 min then scrubbing with dawn dish soap and hot water I went on multiple websites and based multiple people so this is what I came up with. :D but overall he's active/ alert / and does not have any issue walking/ and no swelling at all has clear eyes show color and is 18" long! I got him at 16" :) I can show pictures of him and the weird thing is whenever I hold him his beard goes back to normal??? he's a bit skinny but I'm planning to start force-feeding him nutritious food! Please help me out on what to do now sometimes I feel a bit helpless thank you! I also got him at lllreptile and they are a rescue (they get their reptiles from people that don't want/cant care for anymore) :) (sometimes he will bloat himself into a huge balloon and yawn is that normal? and he is very affectionate :D thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tracie is going to haft to address the med issue - she is the vet tech mod on here -- do you have the results of the fecal test done - if not see if you can get them - have the vet email them to you and post for Tracie to look at --- the UVB is where in the tank? If the screen is a fine mesh screen like a screen door it needs to be inside your tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor- temps of 115 are too hot - your dragon is probably going to like temps of 95-100 instead of the real hot temps now --

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
his UVB is strapped inside of the tank and is 13 inches away at all times and covers the whole tank and how do I decrease the temps? :?: and i will ask the vet but the only thing she told me is that he has high levels of coccidia :?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can lower the basking spot or lower wattage of bulb--- just make sure you have the digital probe thermometer to get temps- as they get older they do not like real hot temps - you could get a piece of decor that offers a heat gradient that offers different places to sit- PetSmart has some nice decor for that-- the bloating is in the morning is it his beard he's doing that?

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
ok and also the way his bloating himself is that he makes himself inti a huge balloon and then puffs his beard out and stretches but he makes himself HUGE like round! I also have a good temp gun many people recommended it ha hasn't done it in a few days but it worry's me maybe bc he might shed?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They will move if it's too hot- black bearding- is distress or pain I am thinking distress- I am hoping Tracie sees this tonite and responds

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
KarrieRee":1wtu3163 said:
They will move if it's too hot- black bearding- is distress or pain I am thinking distress- I am hoping Tracie sees this tonite and responds

oki I'm going to make a stand for his bulb so its a bit higher above ground to make it 100* because I don't have a basking spot that's lower. but overall he's really active and is very alert and strong and is responsive I'm hoping all of this is just from meds! :eek:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is still having trouble. Which medication did you give him initially that
was an injection? Which medication did he just finish up?
Which probiotic are you currently using?
I know that has to be frustrating trying to clear him out but the medications are not working.
Sometimes, it does take a little bit of time for the body's system to clear out. Is he eating
very much right now?
It sounds like you are doing everything properly & have great lighting, too. Are you giving
babyfood for him if his appetite isn't 100% yet?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Did you purge / the sterilise the tank completely , coccidia will be on and in every crack , and will REINFECT the dragon unless you take steps to completely sterilise the tank .

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
Drache613":8ctlqw4u said:
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is still having trouble. Which medication did you give him initially that
was an injection? Which medication did he just finish up?
Which probiotic are you currently using?
I know that has to be frustrating trying to clear him out but the medications are not working.
Sometimes, it does take a little bit of time for the body's system to clear out. Is he eating
very much right now?
It sounds like you are doing everything properly & have great lighting, too. Are you giving
babyfood for him if his appetite isn't 100% yet?

Tracie

the infections were antibiotics bc the vet recommended it for his random bloating she thinks it could be a internal bacterial infection so we went with it and only his bloating improved the black bearding is still very constant witch makes me feel like he's in pain and the meds we just finished are the 2nd coccidia meds and he still has mucas and blood in stool i think I might change vet if this keeps on going on all I want is a healthy happy boy. :( I'm planning on starting to force feed him tom bc I don't have baby food and my pro biotica I'm using are called herp pro bearded dragon probiotics and I also am giving him bee pollen pouder so I think I'm doing as much as I can rn but which baby food do you recommend?

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
kingofnobbys":2has8lps said:
Did you purge / the sterilise the tank completely , coccidia will be on and in every crack and will REINFECT the dragon unless you take steps to completely sterilise the tank .

i also deep clean my tank with ammonium hydroxide every day and then scrub with hot water and dawn dish soap I'm doing my best rn. :blob8:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like you are keeping his tank nice & clean.
How is he doing today? Is his beard black today or has it gotten back to normal yet?
Keep trying to get oral hydration into him as much as you can, daily. Antibiotics can be
very hard on their systems. You could consider taking him off of the medications for a
few days to see if he starts to feel better.
If you get him on some probiotics that can help out his system, also.

Tracie

chestermymunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
chester
Drache613":3mg132hg said:
Hello,

It sounds like you are keeping his tank nice & clean.
How is he doing today? Is his beard black today or has it gotten back to normal yet?
Keep trying to get oral hydration into him as much as you can, daily. Antibiotics can be
very hard on their systems. You could consider taking him off of the medications for a
few days to see if he starts to feel better.
If you get him on some probiotics that can help out his system, also.

Tracie

hello sorry for the late response but we are giving him probiotics and bee pollen powder which I herd is a natural probiotic so I'm doing what I can orally but he has one last antibiotic shot tomorrow and I'm hoping when we are done he will be ok because he still is bloated, and I'm keeping him well hydrated too by giving him a lot of water I'm hoping it is helping do you recommend a certain baby food because in going to get some today for him what type and flavor! also he is still black bearding and its jet black :banghead: it lessons when I hold him but its still constent :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry you're having such trouble ! I would definitely give him a break from the meds., he's stressed out and needs time to just be a dragon again. You can get a product called Oxbow Critical Care online or from a vet to feed him. There's also Fluker's Reptaboost from pet store, baby food like chicken and squash but must be no salt / sugar added.

Post pics of him [ full body ] as well as his tank set up. Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom