Suspected constipation or maybe worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gada

So My baby binky is about 7 or 8 years old a very calm loving chill girl. I’ve never had actual problems in the past with her and her set up is perfect diet could be better but money was the problem now everything is right as rain. Other than the fact when I moved she hasn’t pooped she’s done small poops every day for about let’s say two weeks but when I moved to the second house my current place I’m in. She has been acting very weird been here about a week and only yesterday did her beard turn black. Her beard has NEVER turned black even when angry. I gave her a flower before this and she ate it up the flower was suspected to be completely safe and I still don’t know exactly what it is. She threw up when I gave her outside sunlight and started to act better. This lead me to believe it was constipation OR toxic flower as she only eats appropriate beardy approved foods. I can get a pic of the flower. I gave her extra virgin olive oil and a nice warm soak and massage. SHE FINALLY POOPED. after straining and struggling in the soak. Now currently as I type her beard is still black and she’s clinching her back legs to the point they won’t move and her lower stomach. Is there still poop in there? What do I do hit her with another olive oil and soak when she’s not as stressed? I forgot to add in that her beard only gets black when it’s massaging her belly or when she was pooping. Her beard always goes back to normal bright orange. She was walking very funny her arms and legs straining and curving in when she walked. Now they have been more relaxed except the back legs. Her throw up was flowers and blue berries and one horned worm. Now she won’t eat but definitely looks at it and does the locking eyes on the food. Any tips vet is outta the question I can’t afford it one bit I literally can’t pay for it. But she’s improving I’ve made progress in diagnosing the issue just wanted others opinions. I hate to see her so stressed she’s never been like this it freak me out
Edit: she does relax her legs when I don’t move her and when I pull her leg out SLOWLY and massage it because I’m scared she’s strain too much and it’ll hurt her more her beard is no longer black but still doing the clinching lower stomach and back legs

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons-- it sounds like shes impacted but I cant say for sure
try feeding her some canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce and feed w/ some more olive oil- she sounds like shes in distress w/ the black beard going on -- the lighting in the tank is the most important thing in the tank --

Gada

Original Poster
KarrieRee":26ubfsia said:
What are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons-- it sounds like shes impacted but I cant say for sure
try feeding her some canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce and feed w/ some more olive oil- she sounds like shes in distress w/ the black beard going on -- the lighting in the tank is the most important thing in the tank --

Forgive me if I’m replying wrong this is my first time using it I’m usually a spectator. UVB is tube I believe BUT it’s old and I read here it needs to be changed and I’ve pushed it way past it’s time. Got a new one it stretches across the whole tank and is positioned next to the basking basking is 75 w BUT I live in Texas so it’s Risky to put anything hotter. She gets regular sunshine time because I love outside. Basking temps range from 75 night and during the hottest part of the day it gets around 100. She was a big water dish to sit in but she’s always next to the basking or on the plate form that reaches to the uvb. Someone kindly bought me a new uvb just yesterday and she’s a big eater. She’s been compacted from eggs once before but I feel no eggs and I don’t feel any poop but she’s acting like when I had babies and they were compacted. Got new calcium and new gut load someone also said no feeders? Why because of the shells? Or are they just unsafe in general. She’s eaten strawberries but they have been disgusted only thing that never was was the blueberries flower and horn worm. She’s still active just struggling. She has had water since my last post! And as of now she’s finally picking her head up I will update if any progress. Only thing that’s changed is my lights went out when it snowed here and for 2 and a half days she had no anything no food no lights I had to keep her in my shirt. Would that be long enough to cause compaction or should I change up her diet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I need to know the UVB- brand and bulb is it in a hood w/ a reflector? Basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? Uvb has to be in certain place and distance- post a pic if her please we need to get some more advise from some others but the lighting needs to be in correct place

Gada

Original Poster
KarrieRee":t674ztfp said:
I need to know the UVB- brand and bulb is it in a hood w/ a reflector? Basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? Uvb has to be in certain place and distance- post a pic if her please we need to get some more advise from some others but the lighting needs to be in correct place

Brand is zoo med 24’ / 610 mm reptisun 10.0 UVB
Yes I have a thermometer that points at the location and there’s a light that picks up how hot it is. I’ve had it for a few years if you think it’s bad I can buy another soon. The uvb and basking are exposed and the tank is cleared out currently from moving but I will put everything in it so u get a general idea of how it always is. She’s hasn’t moved from the basking and she keeps repositioning herself I actually don’t know how to upload on phone give me a second it will be my next reply

Gada

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3txpj0rc said:
110746-8662674790.jpg
KarrieRee":3txpj0rc said:
110746-8662674790.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is a T 8 or T 5-- look on the bulb it will tell you-- does that fixture have a reflector in it? Distance for UVB is important- along w/ a reflector-- the bulb looks yellow- it need to be a bright white bulb--- and the IR gun is good but I would invest in a digital probe thermometer as well-- I am going to get some more help-

Gada

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ffus61g said:
The UVB is a T 8 or T 5-- look on the bulb it will tell you-- does that fixture have a reflector in it? Distance for UVB is important- along w/ a reflector-- the bulb looks yellow- it need to be a bright white bulb--- and the IR gun is good but I would invest in a digital probe thermometer as well-- I am going to get some more help-
Thank u all for ur time and it’s a T7 with reflectors the bulb isn’t new but I do have a new one however it’s 100w so I am hesitant to use it all bulbs from petco are yellow in color when giving off light. Unless I’m wrong and have never noticed. Will put the new one in I’m currently out and I’ll buy one just to make sure as well. The enclosure itself has a built in probe I just have a hard time finding those small dime like batteries and just use the gun. Buying apple sauce rn too

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have never heard of the T 7- only a T 8 if it's the T 8 it needs to be lowered to approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and if it's 6 months old replace it NOW- the bright white basking bulb is like a Exo Terra intense bulb--- those are bright white-

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how much time does she get outside natural sun ? An hour every day would make up for an old uvb but did you also say that someone bought you the new uvb bulb ? It's fine where it is , only IF she basks under it. I don't think any food items would cause impaction but I would take out that fake plant, beardies are notorious for eating them so that's a possibility. And what type of flower did she eat , please name it or post a picture.

Gada

Original Poster
AHBD":cky2y9yt said:
Hi there, how much time does she get outside natural sun ? An hour every day would make up for an old uvb but did you also say that someone bought you the new uvb bulb ? It's fine where it is , only IF she basks under it. I don't think any food items would cause impaction but I would take out that fake plant, beardies are notorious for eating them so that's a possibility. And what type of flower did she eat , please name it or post a picture.

Currently on the road behind a scene so I’m not getting home soon unfortunately but I stay outside until she feels like she wants to come back to me so on average 2 hours I bring her pull out and food and hide spot. The uvb is new and the decor is her favorite basking spot when done with the heat light. I have absolutely no idea what kind of flower it is other than it might be a lilly but when I get home I will immediately send in an image. It has the shape of a lilly but looks like it’s been painted pink going to the ends of the pedals. Grows on vines too. I usually give her untouched dandy lions because I read it has calcium in it and it’s leaves and she loves them. Only thing different is a cat but she’s not scared of him and he’s lost interest in her and just sits watching her instead of trying to touch. I did move in with kids tho can sound stress a beardie out? They scream so much and the house echos. Hurts me to see her look at me like she’s trying to tell me she’s hurting she runs to me when the kids come near as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you figure out what type of flower you gave to her? Some are toxic but not all. The hornworms
were fed what type of feed prior to her eating it?
You mentioned that her beard usually never gets dark, is it normal color now? It sounds like she
is doing a little better. Has she ever laid eggs before?
Your tank setup looks pretty good. The tube bulb is in a fixture but it needs to have a reflector
around it to help direct the UVB light more downward towards her.
from the pictures.
How often do you give her calcium?

Tracie

Gada

Original Poster
Drache613":8rwelgqy said:
Hello,

Did you figure out what type of flower you gave to her? Some are toxic but not all. The hornworms
were fed what type of feed prior to her eating it?
You mentioned that her beard usually never gets dark, is it normal color now? It sounds like she
is doing a little better. Has she ever laid eggs before?
Your tank setup looks pretty good. The tube bulb is in a fixture but it needs to have a reflector
around it to help direct the UVB light more downward towards her.
from the pictures.
How often do you give her calcium?

Tracie

Calcium is 4 time out of the week on bugs.
She’s has eggs before but when they were infertile she has them almost every other month. Until she had a fertile clutch which was idk how many months ago at least half a year ago. Now she’s had no eggs and I’ve checked her regularly she just has no eggs growing.
I’ve got an image of the flower it haven’t found what it is on google.
Horned worms were feed the thick smoothy type substance that comes with their container at petco. I have no idea what it is but she’s eaten them before loads of times.
Here beard normally stays her original color and yes as soon as I let her be and sit her beard goes back to normal only when I’m bathing her or she’s straining like when she had to poop does it go black. As for the uvb I said reflectors because I remember the lining of the fixture has metal in it it’s a set fixture and it’s apart of the tank so I can change it. I’ve been eyeing new enclosures for awhile now tho
110746-70786556.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks like a rhododendron which is toxic to pets. How much did she eat ? Hopefully not much, but here are the symptoms which seem consistent with your dragon's.....vomiting and now a strange limb posturing. Keep her well hydrated and hopefully it will reverse.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawsdogdaycare.com%2Ftoxic-and-non-toxic-plants%2Frhododendron-poisonous-pets&psig=AOvVaw0BrKIMGTNAGv_zb_xI_b4b&ust=1616260490280000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwiCuK_U7bzvAhW1cc0KHd0qDiQQr4kDegUIARDTAQ

Gada

Original Poster
AHBD":3oxo3up4 said:
Looks like a rhododendron which is toxic to pets. How much did she eat ? Hopefully not much, but here are the symptoms which seem consistent with your dragon's.....vomiting and now a strange limb posturing. Keep her well hydrated and hopefully it will reverse.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawsdogdaycare.com%2Ftoxic-and-non-toxic-plants%2Frhododendron-poisonous-pets&psig=AOvVaw0BrKIMGTNAGv_zb_xI_b4b&ust=1616260490280000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwiCuK_U7bzvAhW1cc0KHd0qDiQQr4kDegUIARDTAQ

Thank u she only ate a whole flower which is still a lot to me it sat in her over night as well. She’s alert and wants to walk and do everything but she won’t eat and as I’ve learned force feeding her isn’t that easy she clinches her mouth shut hard. Thank u for ur help this means a lot. Idk if this is a good sign but she walks fine most of the time but she’ll have moments where she clinched her whole arms and legs again more the legs arms do it but not like the legs. Still won’t eat

Edit I really can’t offer her anything she won’t eat anything I know she’s hungry it’s been two days. Her mouth is giving off a horrible odor and I got the strawberry in her mouth she just spit it back out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom