Scared my beardie is egg bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, that is some odd behavior, I hope she isn't in any pain. Is her beard back to a normal
color right now, at bedtime?
Has she been eating much?
I would say that you will need to really watch her, because she definitely may be close to laying
again. I hope she isn't having any trouble. Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3vpwmg5g said:
Hello,

Hm, that is some odd behavior, I hope she isn't in any pain. Is her beard back to a normal
color right now, at bedtime?
Has she been eating much?
I would say that you will need to really watch her, because she definitely may be close to laying
again. I hope she isn't having any trouble. Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Yeah, I am worried. Like I said, she did this before where she would tense up her muscles and her beard went grey. In the end she ended up having a difficult poop with a hard urate and she went back to normal after that. But her poop yesterday was totally normal, so I don't know if that could be the issue. Her appetite has been fine, apart from her clear preference for worms. Yesterday she didn't want to eat her greens but she ate some pureed squash. Her beard still looked a little dark at the bottom when she went to bed, I'm hoping it's better this morning when she wakes up. She hasn't been showing any of her obvious signs of laying yet, but it hasn't been 2.5 weeks since her last clutch, which is usually when she begins showing signs. I just really wish she could stop laying because I feel it really takes a toll on her body each time :( . She always ends up constipated afterwards and having MBD doesn't help. She has laid four clutches so far this season.

Update a few hours later: Her beard is back to normal and she is eating a lot of her greens now. I'm really just hoping she was just momentarily stressed or wants to go poop again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good to hear her beard is back to normal. How much calcium are you giving her? Since she
has laid so many clutches this year she would benefit from liquid calcium. If she is a bit backed
up you can definitely give soft foods such as sugar free apple sauce, canned or fresh pumpkin
or sweet potato mixed up with a few drops of olive or coconut oil. Just use a plastic dropper or
syringe to drip it onto the end of her nose for her to lick that off of her nose.
Keep her well hydrated too for help with constipation, too. I hope that she gets better. Keep us
posted on her progress!

Tracie

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I’m sorry I haven’t written back, I’ve been very busy as we’ve been moving the past week. Overall Liz has been doing well. Good appetite and she seems happy. Today she scared me though. I was lifting her food bowl out of her cage and when it was above her she started kicking one of her back legs out. I freaked out and for some reason my first instinct was to touch her leg, and when I did she stopped moving and I haven’t seen her do it since. It was so fast; I honestly can’t remember the exact movement just that it seemed very fast. I’m hoping that it was just because I scared her by lifting an object over her. As I’ve mentioned before, she does have MBD due to previous poor care and has lived with it for almost three years now. Her UVB is new and is an Arcadia D3 12% UVB T5 Bulb. I have it over her top screen which I was told was fine by her vets, since the light is so strong. However now I’m wondering if I should hang it inside her cage just in case. Do you know how many inches this particular light should be from her basking? I ask because I know it’s a bit more powerful than other bulbs so I’m wondering if maybe it shouldn’t go as close.

I also read online that a back shaking leg could be a sign of impaction. She pooped a week ago which is normal for her, but I’m giving her hydration to get her to go again and hopefully she will.

Thank you again, by the way. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope your move hasn't been too stressful! It is very time consuming that is for sure.
I'm glad to hear Liz is doing well, despite the stress of relocating, etc.
That is very odd about the spasm of her leg! Has that happened before, or not? Since she
has metabolic bone disease, that could be caused by that condition, but not sure. How close
is the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube? As long as it is alongside of the basking bulb, you can safely
have it at a 10-12 inch distance.
The mesh screen top that it is sitting on, is it a fine mesh screen or does it have a larger holed
screen?
I hope she is doing well!

Tracie

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":34cq4p8p said:
Hello,

I hope your move hasn't been too stressful! It is very time consuming that is for sure.
I'm glad to hear Liz is doing well, despite the stress of relocating, etc.
That is very odd about the spasm of her leg! Has that happened before, or not? Since she
has metabolic bone disease, that could be caused by that condition, but not sure. How close
is the Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube? As long as it is alongside of the basking bulb, you can safely
have it at a 10-12 inch distance.
The mesh screen top that it is sitting on, is it a fine mesh screen or does it have a larger holed
screen?
I hope she is doing well!

Tracie

Thank you! The move definitely has been time consuming. I feel bad because we have not been able to give Liz as much attention as we usually do. Hopefully she does not feel neglected!

I've never seen her do the weird leg kick. It kind of reminds me of when she'll wave her hand really fast when she's scared, but it's strange she did it with her back leg. However a few weeks ago I remember posting about how I saw her twitch for a second, so maybe this is all related. I hate the fact that she has MBD (I could go on for hours about how angry I am about the mistreatment she endured in the beginning of her life) because it causes so many problems. I have been using the same type of UVB bulb as always, however in April I started using a new fixture for it. I didn't think this would be an issue since even though it was a different brand, it was still meant to fit a T5 bulb and had a reflector. Her old fixture required two bulbs, so I would use one UVB and one general daylight. This new fixture only requires one bulb, so I just use the UVB. Hopefully the lack of the daylight light (which had no UVB) isn't bothering her.

This is a picture of her screen from above. I think I would consider it fine mesh. I'm not exactly sure what the best way to go about hanging her fixture from inside, since I unfortunately lost the parts that attach her to fixture so I could attach it with wires. Would cutting the mesh so that there's nothing in between the UVB and the tank help? It would still be the same distance from the bottom of the tank but at least there would be no screen in the way.

full

Also, I noticed that the Bug-De-Lite website listed in your signature sells liquid calcium--I'm wondering if maybe that would be something good for me to purchase for Liz? I bought her liquid calcium before but I'm unsure of the dosage.

Thank you so much for the help. I'm sorry I bother you so much with questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the work you do on these forums and how much you have helped me.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Liz laid an egg today :cry:. That might have been the reason for her random twitch/spasm if the eggs were taking calcium from her. At least she was courteous enough to wait until we were done moving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom