Injured baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
Today my husband accidentally dropped our light strip in our baby beardies enclosure and it hit it on its left eye. There was some blood, but minimal. It hasn’t opened its eye yet. It is still crawling around for the most part. I have cleaned around the eye with warm water. Now, it is on the side of the tank, with its front legs up on the glass and it looks like it is taking a nap. When should I become worried?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We need Tracie to look at it- what are you using for a UVB please no Coils-- it's not gonna help w/ the healing- UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds like a T 8-- if there is a cover over the bulb please take it off - what brand? If it's a Reptisun that is a good bulb- please no thrive brand or Zilla- it needs to be in the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above basking decor-- I have flagged post to Tracie she's our vet tech mod

Amberjeanlouk923

Original Poster
Welp, it’s thrive. I’ll have to order the reptisun since it’s better. Should I leave the UVB on at night while he’s healing? I currently use a ceramic bulb at night because my house gets colder at night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No- shut the UVB off-- Petco and PetSmart carry the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 if you have one near you-- I would keep the che on over nite to keep your tank warm 75-80 or so- Tracie is on late at nite---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry that happened, I hope she will be ok!
Has your baby moved much or been pretty lethargic after the incident happened?
It would be a good idea to upgrade to the Reptisun 10 tube bulb. Is the Thrive a basking
bulb?
Did the light hit just the eye or did it hit any other part of her body?
I would definitely watch for changed behavior in case there was any internal injury or head
trauma such as loss of balance, black bearding, lack of appetite, etc.
As Karrie suggested, keep her warm overnight, around 75-80 to help boost her system.

Tracie

Amberjeanlouk923

Original Poster
I have a separate basking bulb, it came with the terrarium kit that I bought. And I have a thrive uvb bulb. I run them both during the day. Ya, the baby has been pretty lethargic since it happened. It licked some water drops off of my finger, then basked until bed time. It wouldn’t eat anything, but is still walking ok. I ordered that reptisun bulb last night so I will have that Friday. It looked like it only hit the eye, but it is only opening the other eye a little bit. It was opening the other eye more right after it happened, so idk if it just has a headache or concussion. I put a few crickets in the enclosure before I left for work just incase it wants to eat. If it won’t eat, what should I try? And when should I know if it needs to be seen at the vet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please find the crickets you left in the tank -- please do not leave them in over nite - its best to feed them one at a time or two and keep track of them -- they will bite the baby and it can cause infection- I would look at ordering some BSFL for him those you can leave in the tank in a dish like glass or ceramic - one they cant get out of and I would also getting some dubia roaches they are easier to feed and those you can leave in a dish as well -- keep offering salads in the morning along w/ the crickets - those you can disable and put in the dish w/ the salad -- how long have you had the baby? They will go thru relocation stress so the eating will be off -- but he should be eating something-- the eye injury may have traumatized him so its hard to say - you can get some baby food like chicken and squash maybe mix w/ some water so its runny and try and get him to lick off the spoon --
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
https://symtonbsf.com/ I would order large they are small and a great staple feeder use as many as you want do not dust them ---
http://www.dubiaroaches.com check for nutri grubs they are the same as BSFL --
Also another recommendation I would get rid of the green mesh hammock -- they are terrible for babies claws getting caught in the mesh and they end up w/ sprains and swollen legs etc -- if you want a hammock you can get a fleece or cloth ones -- check here www.pamperedbeardies.com

Amberjeanlouk923

Original Poster
Ok, I’m learning lots from you all! Thank you so much. I am a newbie and can use all the pointers you have. I left the crickets this morning (about 5) and know not to overnight. I didn’t know about the bsf, so I’ll order some of that. And you said squash and chicken baby food? I can try some of that when I get home if it hasn’t eaten. I have some Dubia roaches on order too, it really likes them better than the crickets. Also, they have these neat dishes that the roaches won’t be able to get out of that I ordered too. I like the one you sent the link for so I’ll probably end up getting that one too. And I will change the hammock out. I think I can make a fleece one with a blanket I have. I got the baby Friday at petsmart.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So tomorrow a week? Keep w/ the insects trying to feed them but if it comes down to getting food in him then try the organic baby food + I think it's beech nut- also make sure he is getting water- either by dropping water on his nose or syringe- I think bathing is going to stress him out too much- if you haft to use a syringe make sure go real slow let him swallow what you put in- you don't want him aspirating- if you end up w/ the baby food you can water it down so he gets hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom