Beardie has mouth open, lethargic, eyes sunken

Status
Not open for further replies.
He started a couple of days ago with his mouth open, but only cracked open/not gaping. He’s sort of sticking the tip of his tongue out. Last night he started looking lethargic and today his eyes look very tired. He ate roaches earlier today, but wouldn’t eat his greens (normally will). He has been hanging out on the cooler side of the tank. He looks at me but looks very tired. He doesn’t appear to be turning black anywhere.

I called the vet today, but their “exotic pet” vet is not in until tomorrow night. Anyone have an idea whether this is something urgent or he should be ok until his appointment?

My gut feeling is URI, but not sure how fast it spreads or how fast it can kill him.
110694-1095877407.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is he? His beard is still orange which is usually a good sign. I see his mouth gaping a bit. That could mean several things. I don't see mucous buildup around his nose or eyes, so a RI may not be the issue. Having the vet check him out if he seems off is certainly a good idea, especially if your vet has some history treating him along with records - that helps for comparison sake. What is his weight? It's possible that he is a bit overweight and that can cause some general issues.

MusicMan05

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ddzhapd said:
How old is he? His beard is still orange which is usually a good sign. I see his mouth gaping a bit. That could mean several things. I don't see mucous buildup around his nose or eyes, so a RI may not be the issue. Having the vet check him out if he seems off is certainly a good idea, especially if your vet has some history treating him along with records - that helps for comparison sake. What is his weight? It's possible that he is a bit overweight and that can cause some general issues.

Thank you for your response!

His beard was black yesterday, but went away after I fed him. Vet is seeing him for the first time unfortunately...he’s about 2 years old. Not sure of his weight, but comparatively speaking to other beardies I’ve seen, he’s pretty average size. He’s looking a little less lethargic, but mouth his still gaping and looks like he’s taking a big breathe every once in a while.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a good sized dragon. Does he have any symptoms of a respiratory infection at all?
You mentioned that his tongue was pale, is the rest of his mouth & or gums pale in color?
Let us know how the vet visit goes! I would also consider gout possibilities or a respiratory
infection.
Which UVB are you using currently?
For now, try to keep him around 75-80 overnight to help keep his system boosted.

Tracie

MusicMan05

Original Poster
UPDATE: Vet didn’t find anything wrong other than he is small for his age and may not be fully developed. They injected him with Subcutaneous fluids, Vitamin A/D/E and calcium. He wouldn’t eat for a few days, but then started eating.

The problems now—He still seems lethargic. He has an appetite, but won’t chase his roaches (just waits for them to come to him) and I have to wave greens and fruit in front of him (50/50 chance he wants it). He won’t move around and starts swing his tail around when I pick him up. He is not showing any black, but his still opening his mouth with his tongue out most of the time. He will still only poop if I give him a bath, but isn’t pooping as much. Main thing is it seems like he “winces” a lot. He’ll squint and tense up when I get near him or when he’s bathing...sometime unprovoked.

Vet wanted a follow up after two weeks, but just realized it’s been over two weeks (from my post date) so I will call them on Monday since they didn’t call me.

MusicMan05

Original Poster
(cont) they wanted to run bloodworm but couldn’t get enough blood. Also, he needs to exercise more, but I’ve taken him out to roam and he’s not energetic.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? coil or a tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps ? what are they are how are you taking them?

MusicMan05

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2mqxx02t said:
What are you using for a UVB? coil or a tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps ? what are they are how are you taking them?

He has a 150W basking bulb (https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti-basking-reptile-spot/dp/126600) during the day and not 100% what the wattage is on the nighttime bulb. They are on a timer. In the same fixture on the left side of the terrarium. It ranges about 90-100 on that side and about 80-90 on the cool side. I’m going to try a lower wattage basking bulb (100w) on the on my next Chewy order (next week) because he doesn’t seem to enjoy basking. He’s had the 150 for a couple years now though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? That particular light is fine, but, it isn't a UVB source
however. You will need t get a UVB light such as the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12
both are tube bulbs.
The basking temperatures are fine but the cooler end needs to be a little cooler, arounnd
75-80 so he doesn't overheat.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If your using a colored nite time bulb please get rid of it--- dragons like cool and dark to sleep - the colored bulbs are harmful to the eyes and it keeps them awake at nite

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Dragons prefer it cool and dark at night to slow their metabolism to get rest. Any type of light disturbs their sleep patterns and will make them cranky and lethargic. This is a common problem (with all of the misinformation that pet stores push these days) but one that is correctable.
At 2 years old basking temps should be around 95 (+/- 3°) and the cool end should be around 75°to 80°. As long as your house temps don't drop below 65° at night, no heat source is needed.
You dragon will thank you for it!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, is he still lethargic?
I think that with a few changes, he should start to feel better real soon. Let us know how
he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom