Young dragon with MBD not eating, abnormal swelling in limbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam2479

Greetings everyone, Cam here.
I have had my bearded dragon Grogu since January 8, 2021. He was given to me by a friend who could no longer care for him. At the point he was handed over to me, all he had was an incandescent bulb and likely was not receiving any vitamins. His exact age is unknown and sex is unknown but he is about 8.5 inches and weighs 22 grams as of March 6. He was normal and had a great appetite for about 1 month, but around February 20th I started to notice swollen, red joints on the right side limbs. He gradually started to eat less and less. He has been to the vet 3 times with no definitive diagnosis. At the first visit he was 26g and he guessed that maybe he had a fall but I have not witnessed any falls. The vet said he didn't want to overtreat this and that I should keep an eye on him. At the second visit he was 20g I was advised to force feed him with baby food, keep him hydrated and soak once a day. Again, the vet didn't want to overthink the situation. Around this time his spine also appeared lumpy and has gotten more pronounced over time. At the third visit he had gained a little weight due to the force feeding and the vet finally said it could be early stages of metabolic bone disease and advised more force feeding of a well rounded diet and soaking twice a day.

On a typical day, his lights switch on a 8am. He sits under the light and doesn't move much. I usually feed him for the first time between 9 and 10, then between 12 and 1, and finally around 5. His beard is black throughout the day. He seems lethargic most of the time, closes his eyes often, and is generally not alert. Sometimes he stays in the same place all day and can't pick his belly up off the ground and support himself. When he attempts to walk, his head drags and his limbs seem rigid. Occasionally he will slide off of the rocks and other structures and he has to picked up because he can't climb anything. His lights switch off at 8pm, and he'll either fall asleep at his current position or climb down to the ground to sleep, but he can't climb up.

Diet/Supplements: When I first got Grogu, he didn't eat much for about a week (I think from relocation stress) but his appetite did improve. He ate small crickets dusted in Fluker's Repta calcium powder (w/ D3, no phosphorus) 1-2 meals per day. He also ate small crickets dusted in Zoo Med's Reptivite vitamins (w/ D3) about 5-7 meals per week. Eventually I bought Dubia roaches with the same supplement routine. At his best, he would eat around 30 roaches a day. The insects were also fed produce. I bought hornworms and he ate two small ones but his condition got pretty bad around this time. During all of this, I also offered produce frequently (collard greens, bell pepper, kale, carrot, strawberry) but he refused them with the exception of an occasional bell pepper, celery, and strawberry. It was discouraging because he really didn't care about greens. After the 2nd vet visit was when I introduced baby food. He seemed to enjoy the sweet potato puree. I got some other varieties with carrot, pumpkin, squash, kale, apple. Sometimes he will lick it off his nose and kinda seems to enjoy it. I started to mix some Fluker's Repta Boost with baby food and water in an attempt to add protein and nutrients. I also mixed 0.5 ml of tart cherry concentrate with water, Repta Boost, and baby food together twice a day because he absolutely refused every form of food at this point. He gets water dropped onto his nose to drink 4x/day. His stool is not as frequent and is mostly liquid now. To this day he still doesn't care about bugs either in a bowl or from tongs and I continue to syringe feed him. Since he's not getting powdered calcium or vitamins I have started to give him 3 drops per day of Zilla liquid calcium and I just received Fluker's liquid vitamin that I will administer soon. I bought Oxbow carnivore critical care powder to try out as well.

Enclosure/Setup: With the previous owner, he had an incandescent spot bulb, a cheap thermometer, one hide and one bridge thing on reptile carpet in a 15 gallon tank. For that tank I bought him a more powerful basking bulb, a coiled UV light (which I later realized was a poor choice so he only had it for a week) and I added a taller log for him to climb closer to the light until I could buy a more appropriate tank. He now has a 48x18x21 glass tank lined with ceramic tile. For UV, he has a 36 inch T5 Reptisun terrarium hood that came with a 5.0 bulb which I used for a week until I replaced it with a 10.0 bulb. It used to sit 14-16in away (sitting on top of mesh) from Grogu but now the hood is 8-9in away, suspended by chains (not obstructed by mesh). He has a 160w mercury vapor bulb, currently on top of mesh, and a 100w ceramic heat emitter which both remain 14-16in away. The CHE is on 24/7 and keeps it at 80 degrees as night but the other two are on 12hr timers. For daytime temps, the hot side is 105-110F max (surface) and cool side is roughly 80. I check on the surface temps with a handheld IR gun and I don't have a digital thermometer right now. The humidity fluctuates from 35-50%.

My main concern is the swelling and lack of appetite. The left side limbs are starting to swell, including his digits. The vet visits have not been very productive and I don't know what to do. His legs and tail twitch also randomly and his level of inactivity is concerning. I will post pictures of Grogu and his home tomorrow. Any recommendations in diet or husbandry practices would be appreciated to keep Grogu healthy and happy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon isn't doing well, pictures would be great if you can get some posted!
How bad is the swelling?
Your tank setup sounds really nice, with using the Reptisun 10 T5 along with a MVB for
basking. What brand is the MVB?
Just basing everything on your description, it is highly possible that he either has some
complications of metabolic bone disease or he has developed gout. Do you know if he
had any UVB lighting before you took him in?
I would definitely continue using the black/tart cherry juice though, daily. Did the vet not
have any suspicions of gout?
As for supplementation, since you are using a T5 tube UVB, I would reduce the amount of
D3 supplement for him so it doesn't get too much. The calcium can be given 4-5 times per
week for him.

Tracie

cam2479

Original Poster
Here are the pictures of him and one of his enclosure. Let me know if you need any additional pictures of something! His spine looks concerning to me but I'm not sure what I could do at this point since he has the T5 bulb closer to him and I started the liquid calcium. I'm open to any suggestions and will do anything I can to help him. To my knowledge he did not have any source of UV during his time with the previous owner, I saw his setup at their house and all they had was one incandescent spotlight bulb. I'm also 90 percent sure he didn't get any sort of dusting on his crickets.. they were going off of the "pet smart care brochure". The MVB is a 160W Zoo-Med Powersun, which I use both for additional UV and as a primary heat source. I was suspicious of gout too, given the abnormal swelling of the joints, but my vet never mentioned it the three times I took Grogu to see him. The vet is supposedly an exotic animal vet which deals with beardie care, but I don't know his exact qualifications.

110689-4510155357.jpg
110689-6133974749.jpg
110689-6705482756.jpg
110689-1641105493.jpg
110689-536671286.jpg
110689-7955838679.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing today?
Those are classic characteristics of gout, unfortunately. Metabolic bone disease usually does
not manifest irregular swellings quite like that.
Of course, it is likely a mixture of lack of UVB along with poor absorption of calcium, & renal
dysfunction from improper care.
Sure, the Zoomed Powersun MVB is fine. How far from him is the MVB? The Reptisun 10 T5
is very helpful. How often are you using the liquid calcium?
Has the swelling improved at all or has it gotten worse?
To be proactive, you can get some black or tart cherry extract to give to him daily. Just start
at .5ml to 1ml daily, to help begin flushing out his kidneys.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

cam2479

Original Poster
Hi Tracie, thank you for the replies!

He is doing more or less the same today, basically just laying around and moving slightly only when necessary. He did slide off of his rock and I had to move him since he can't really get anywhere himself. I'll probably need to reduce the height of things in his enclosure since he can't get back up once he's descended. In which case I'll also need to lower his lights too. The MVB is on top of the relatively course mesh of the enclosure top, roughly 16 inches away from the highest point inside the enclosure. I have been giving him the liquid calcium every day (only got it three days ago), around 3 drops. I will follow your instructions and give it 4-5 times a week. As for the tart cherry concentrate I have been mixing it with his other liquid foods, will this be fine or should I try to give it straight?

In regards to his swelling, I would say that the swelling has gradually gotten worse. I haven't really seen it improve at all since it started. His hands/fingers that were unaffected maybe two weeks ago are now starting to swell much like his other swollen areas. It is very concerning. Is there anything further I could do aside from giving cherry concentrate, keeping him hydrated, doing soaks, and ensuring he is getting enough UV? I hate to see him get worse and be in constant pain.. I've read that gout is very painful so I feel bad knowing that and seeing him try to get around with little success :(

As always, your knowledge is much appreciated and I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, you are doing really well for him, he is lucky to have you helping him out!
I think his tank setup is fine, so I don't think any changes need to be made there. You can
give the black cherry straight or diluted, whichever way he takes it more readily.
I will PM you with my website for information on medication to help with gout. You can also
try to get him on serrapeptase to help with pain, swelling & inflammation of joints, etc.
The swelling since it is already present, most likely wont reduce any without some intervention.
Try to get oral fluids into him, daily as best you can.
I hope he is feeling better soon. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

cam2479

Original Poster
I have sad news,

Grogu is no longer with us. He died yesterday while I was taking an exam. I tried to feed him before and he was acting really weird, opening his mouth and pushing his tongue out, then closing his mouth on his tongue. He kept doing that while I was trying to feed him but he wasn't eating any of it. He didn't really seem to be completely there. After trying that for 15 minutes I had to put him up to start my exam, and when I went back after, he was gone. I am unsure what he died from, but I'm glad he's no longer suffering. Thank you for your time and help Tracie. I will get another dragon at some point, and I will make sure to come here the moment I have any questions. To anyone who's reading this looking for answers for their own dragon, just make a post and get help sooner.

Cam

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about Grogu's passing, it is so difficult to lose one suddenly. :cry:
I know how heart breaking these types of situations are. He knew how much you loved
him.
My condolences to you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom