baby beardie throwing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

askelly23

I got my baby beardie three days ago, she is a month to two months old. The first day I had her she ate about eight crickets and five dubia roaches i was given when i bought her. Some of the roaches looked way too big so I threw them out. The next day there was one dubia roach that was hiding in there that she found and ate, and it looked a little too big but I wasn't fast enough to grab it and she ate it, after eating some crickets. A few hours later she threw up the roach, it didn't look very thoroughly chewed through. She then threw up again a little bit later. Yesterday, she ate a total of about ten crickets, and even though i ordered small, i think a few were too big for her again and a few hours after eating she threw up again. Within the next hour she threw up two more times. This morning she had about five crickets and seems to be doing fine. I am soaking her for ten mins a day to keep her hydrated. I also have greens for her to eat but she doesn't really touch them. The basking side is around 107 degrees. I don't know the wattage of the UVB but it was what the reptile store recommended, so I don't think there's a problem with heat/lighting. She is having regular bowel movements- once or twice a day.

I called the store and they said the food is probably too big and that is why she is throwing up and she could be eating too much, and that she could be dehydrated, so i'm making sure she is drinking water while she soaks. They told me to only feed her once a day and to not let her eat for longer than three minutes.

I just wanted a second opinion from all you beardie lovers to see why you guys think my beardie is throwing up.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Please let us know what your set up is like? Post a picture if you can. Also lots of reptile stores don't recommend the correct lighting. She needs to be fed bugs 2x a day with her bugs dusted with calcium 5x a week and vitamins 2x a week.

askelly23

Original Poster
I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture right now. I do dust the crickets with calcium and i have the vitamins but I haven't used them yet since I've only had her for three days.

askelly23

Original Poster
110665-9517634995.jpg
on the cool side i have the water bowl and a plate of greens. she likes to climb the hammock and the rock wall, she usually uses underneath the hammock as a cooling down spot. then on the right side is the basking spot with the rocks. she is currently beneath the log in the back right corner after basking for about an hour.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks. How big is the enclosure and how are you taking the temps? I would get rid of the coil uvb. You want to replace it with a reptisun 10 T5.

askelly23

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm using a digital thermometer with a probe. Does the lighting or temp have anything to do with my beardie throwing up?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Absolutely. The proper uvb is essential for digestion and to prevent mbd. So is a bright white light and you want a basking temp of 100 to 110 for babies and make sure she basks for at least 2 hours after she eats.

askelly23

Original Poster
Thanks I appreciate it! I try to put her on the basking side after eating but she usually leaves and goes to the cooler side of the tank. I'll keep trying to get her to stay on the basking side after eating.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do not listen to the pet store people they do not know what they are talking about -- as recommended byt the poster above me get rid of the coil UVB and get the long tube fixture a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Acradia fixture 24" w/ the Reptisun T 5 or the Arcadia 12% bulb --- when you replace the bulb please post back on here so I can help you place it in the tank ---- your dragon should be eating at least 20-30 crickets at a time and in a 10-15 minute time frame --- w/ what the reptile people told you dragon is going to starve -- he needs salads every morning -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
the basking temps and UVB are the two most important things in the tank --- I cannot stress this enough ---- NO colored bulbs NO heat mats or heat rocks please

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Bruh pet stores are run by some of the most uneducated people ever, why do they all keep recommending the worst products and advice ever? I’m glad you found this forum, unfortunately the store scammed you into buying that stupid dual dome fixture that I hate with a burning passion, but hopefully you can return it and get your money back. Let me guess... petco?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing?
Definitely look into changing out the UVB which will greatly help out with overall health.
While she isn't feeling well, try to keep her around 75-80 overnight, to help boost her system.
Has she thrown up today, or have you gotten her to eat anything?

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

askelly23

Original Poster
everything is going great now she is back to acting and eating normally i am feeding her twice a day right now and increasing her feeding time over the days so she doesn’t jump right back into eating big full meals so she doesn’t get sick again. I will look into the uvb i appreciate everyone’s suggestions and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom