Baytril Dosage Concern - for Respiratory Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthon

Hi,

My name is Kelsey, I have a female bearded dragon named Jack. I've had her for 6 years since she was the size of my thumb. She's my absolute life and world.

The past 2 weeks her diet / appetite has decreased, and yesterday morning I noticed she had some breathing issues, and therefore set a vet appointment as soon as possible. The vet had a spot available for that day.

He removed stuck shed in her nose, and noticed pus came out, and diagnosed her with a respiratory infection.

My bearded dragon is 19-20inches , 6 years old, and 730 Grams. (She was 860 grams previously a year ago full a full poop belly) I believe she has lost weight because she's not full of lots of poop, she got out of brumation last month, and recently has decreased appetite due to the respiratory infection.

Im not sure how she got sick, in Texas we had a bad cold weather storm hit us, and many power outages etc: I also moved into a new apartment, so it may just be multiple things that effected her. I am very careful about her husbandry, and she has been a happy and healthy dragon for 6 years.

The vet gave her an injection 10% baytril yesterday and prescribed her Baytril 10% , 0.14 ml TWICE a day for 10 days.

Considering she got an injection yesterday, twice a day of 0.14 ml 10% concentration seems like a lot. I looked at the recommended dosage online and it recommends 0.14 ml for her weight once a day it seems? Im no expert, and im just a worried momma. She means so much to me, and I know Baytril is a hard drug on beardies systems (kidneys , liver etc).

The vet is closed for the weekend, and im really needing some advice. She did not eat today, and I called the vet and he gave me some Carnivore/Herbivore Critical care mix. I gave her some. I have a video of me giving her the critical care this evening on my instagram - Kjones_crafts (you dont need an account to view my stories).

Even though she did not eat today, that is not too unusual as of lately, she has only been eating 3 crickets a day or less, and will not touch her greens (I think its because she could not smell her greens).

Since I gave her two doses today, should I only give one dose of 0.14ML 10% baytril tomorrow afternoon and the rest of the 9 days? Or should I listen to the doctor and do it TWICE a day. (remember she got a shot too yesterday)

Im really concerned for her and any advice based on years of experience would mean SO much to me.

She has a custom made vive that has suited her for 5 years - UVB tube 18' 10.0 inside the cage mounted - basking spot 95-100 degrees F. Cool side of tank 75-80 degrees. (Her tank has custom vents on the side for air flow)

Sincerely,
Kelsey Jones

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kelsey,

I got your PM & did write you back earlier.
Actually that dose is too high really. So she is getting the .14ml, twice daily?
He is dosing her at around 20mg/kg, which is pretty high. Personally I wouldn't go any
higher than 10mg/kg which would be .07ml, one time daily.
Are you giving a probiotic too?
I would also keep her around 75-80 overnight too for boosting her immune system.
Try to continue getting oral fluids into her as best you can, via a dropper or syringe, a
couple of times per day.

Tracie

Sarthon

Original Poster
Hi Tracie , no pro biotic yet .

What do you recommend I do ? Why would he do such a high dosage twice a day and a shot ? And such a high concentration? I can’t call the vet because it’s the weekend .

Should I give her .14 ML once a day until I can talk to the doctor monday? She’s very black bearded right now. Or should I give her time to settle and recover from so much medication with the shot and two doses of .14 yesterday ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

For now, since she still has a black beard I would stop giving the baytril in the case she has
gotten overloaded or is having a reaction to it which is possible as well.
I would try to get a probiotic such as a non dairy acidophiliz or a non dairy organic soy yogurt
to help get her system balanced out again.
I am not sure why he would have prescribed a higher than normal dose of Baytril. Usually, the
recommended dose shouldn't be any higher than 10mg/kg because it can be hard on the kidneys
& very dehydrating.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom