My bearded dragon is shivering or trembling

CATaylor

Sorry this is so long:
My bearded dragon started "shivering" or "trembling". It started about two weeks ago. I am in Texas and went without power for 52.5 hours when that ice storm happened and he lived on my chest the whole time. Not sure if that is relevant to his issue, but wanted to give you as much information as I can. It started with a slight "shiver" that I noticed by seeing the spikes on his head shake. It happened a couple times throughout the day and was pretty subtle. I looked it up and started talking to some people that help bearded dragons and everything looked like it might be a calcium deficiency. I will pause here to say that he gets calcium without D 3 days a week, calcium with D twice a week, and a multivitamin once a week. I was instructed to add another day of calcium with D and to make sure he was getting enough UVB to absorb it. I opened up his screen lid to let more UVB in. I will pause here to say that his UVB light is a 36" Arcadia T5 10.0 14%. At this point it was sitting directly on the top of his tank and was about 10" from where he basks. So after a couple of days of this, he started getting worse! The shaking was happening more often and in some cases was really violent. The best way to describe it was almost like someone with Parkinson's disease. It is just his head that shakes and it's important to know that he has no other symptoms of any kind. Eats, poops, drinks, and acts otherwise normal. The shaking does not even effect his coordination with running, climbing, or catching his bugs. I consulted other people and was told that it was actually the exact opposite and it he was getting too much calcium and too much UVB and that it was too close to him. Since it seemed to be getting worse with what I was already doing, I decided to try changing things to see if what the other person is saying might be true. I raised the light up about 5.5". So now his basking light is a 150 watt and it is directly on the screen and about 10" from his basking spot which is about 105-107 degrees. The UVB light is now 15.5" from his basking spot. His cool side is around 80ish and the humidity stays under 30%. He was hatched on 10/13/20, so he is about 4 months old. I have had him for 2 months so far. In those 2 months, he has gained over 100g and almost 4" (he's about 144g and 12.5" right now). His substrate is drawer liner. He is in a 55 gallon tank (this is temporary because of wrong information that was given at the beginning and I am getting him the Zen Habitat in about 2 weeks). I think that is everything. Does anyone have any insight as to what this might be? I am making him an appointment at the vet, but wanted to reach out to others and see if anyone might have went through anything like this before?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry no one got to this for so long ! Well the symptoms can be a number of things including low calcium, highly unlikely to be too much calcium. It could also be vit. B deficiency or something genetic. What morph is your beardie ? Some trans. dragons can develop a neurological issue as well. Can you by chance post a video of it ?

CATaylor

Original Poster
He is a hypo HET translucent. I was originally told it was too little calcium and not enough UVB absorption. So I followed the instructions and added an extra day of Calcium with D and opened the lid of the tank so more UVB could come in. That's when he actually got worse and the shaking was violent looking. After that I was told it is actually too much calcium and too much UVB. So now I closed the screen back up and raised his UVB up by 5.5 inches. Since then, he seems to be back to the original shaking/vibrating. I was also told it is possible to be neurological. If it is, I can deal with it and he can have a happy and long life. I'm just terrified it's something else and that I am doing something wrong. How do I post the video??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can barely see it there, actually can't tell from that video really. Just keep an eye on him and try not to worry too much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can juuuuuust barely see the slightest movement . Again, not sure what it is but doesn't appear to be serious. Dragon looks alert + healthy. :)

CATaylor

Original Poster
He is alert and I think he is healthy. He has literally no other symptom. His coordination is on point. He eats, drinks, and poops just fine. He loves free roam time and definitely has his own little characteristics lol. He averages 15-20 grams and about 0.5 inches a week in growth. It's just this shivering/vibration thing that just started that has me freaking out. I know reptiles don't shiver so this is not normal. Are you thinking more likely neurological with his morph?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's just one of the guesses , no way to tell for sure but symptoms are very subtle, almost unnoticeable. Is your vet really experienced with bearded dragons ? That's a must, you don't want someone doing tons of tests when they don't know much about b.d. illnesses.

CATaylor

Original Poster
I haven't been to the vet yet (going next week), but I was told it is a great knowledgeable vet that has a lot of BD patients as well as other reptiles so I think they are good :)

CATaylor

Original Poster
Well that makes me feel better!!! What about the fact that it got really worse when I had the UVB closer and not blocked out and it appears to be getting better now that I changed it back. Do you think that's a coincidence? I wish I could have gotten a video when it was violently shaking, it was really scary. But even so, he still walked, climbed, and ate while his head was violently shaking with no issues.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom