Saliva build up and lethargic!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimarsh

hello, my beardie had a build up saliva around his mouth, he has gulping and breathing heavy ( also opening his mouth to breath after eating) i took him to the vet and they treated him for a respiratory infection. He got baytril for 2 weeks, but he hasn’t been eating, he’s not interested in crickets or worms, i gave him rapashy ( recommended by the vet) and he hasn’t been pooping, he still has a lot of saliva and some crust forming on the bottom lip, i’m not sure what i should do to help or what’s wrong

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube? Uvb is extremely important for the overall health along w/.basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons please--- what is the humidity in the tank?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Baytril may have affected his appetite. Is he done with the prescribed dose now? I would offer plenty of water by dripping it on his nose to lick up as well as offering bugs that are gutloaded with fresh veges and hydrating options like squash. When he does regain his appetite, those may help out.

Can you post some photos of him and the affected area around his mouth? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Minimarsh

Original Poster
CooperDragon":19o8gxle said:
The Baytril may have affected his appetite. Is he done with the prescribed dose now? I would offer plenty of water by dripping it on his nose to lick up as well as offering bugs that are gutloaded with fresh veges and hydrating options like squash. When he does regain his appetite, those may help out.

Can you post some photos of him and the affected area around his mouth? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Hi! i’m so sorry it took me a while to answer, i’ve been caught up with school. When he was taking the baytril he got prescribed very little and it was hard for him to take in. He still have some sort of crust on the side of his lips. He started eating again and popping regularly, but i’ve kept noticing that when he’s sleeping he keeps his head up and he licks his lips a lot too. I’ve taken him to the vet and told them this but they didn’t find anything wrong just told me to bath him more. He’s acting a little lethargic and when eating his veggies he breaths he’s heavily and his beard turns darker, I’m suspecting a URI since he drools saliva quite a bit. I’m not sure what I can do to help, his temps are high and i’ve been feeding him crickets ( he doesn’t seem to want veggies because they make him breath harder/he gaps more) over all he’s healthy but his respiratory infection ( If it is one) has been getting worse.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get him into a vet here is a website for finding a reptile vet-- www.arav.org--- what are you using for a UVB? This plays a huge roll in the health of your dragon-- if your using a coil UVB hes not going to get any better- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a juvie/ adult dragon--this needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer this also plays a roll in the eating and health of the dragon--- please post some pics of him and his tank --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Please NO colored bulbs NO heat mats NO heat rocks and NO coils for a UVB

Minimarsh

Original Poster
KarrieRee":14gcfios said:
Get him into a vet here is a website for finding a reptile vet-- http://www.arav.org--- what are you using for a UVB? This plays a huge roll in the health of your dragon-- if your using a coil UVB hes not going to get any better- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for a juvie/ adult dragon--this needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer this also plays a roll in the eating and health of the dragon--- please post some pics of him and his tank --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Please NO colored bulbs NO heat mats NO heat rocks and NO coils for a UVB

His heating lamp is at 105 ( i use a digital probe thermometer) and I am using a coil UBV right now while i wait for his UBV stick to arrive.

110402-4391305051.jpg

that is him and his tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You have the long tube coming? That is real good --- what did you order?

Minimarsh

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jb690yc said:
You have the long tube coming? That is real good --- what did you order?

I got the Zoo Med FS524 Reptisun 5.0 T5-Ho Uvb Fluorescent Lamp-24 W-22"

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so get the 10.0 bulb --- the 5.0 is not strong enough and can be used for a back up but you want that 10.0 bulb -- its a T 5 and better for him --- when you get it place it inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from his basking decor piece -- that log piece you have sitting next to the hammock is a real good piece for offering different basking temps - I have that same piece sitting under my basking light- my dragons love that decor --(separate tanks) I have the stick part sticking in the air layed on the floor of the tank and the big trunk piece under the basking light -- it offers temp gradients -- they can lay on it stand against it lay under it or prop themselves on the long stick part --- if you need help in hanging the fixture let me know and I will post some stuff for you --- that coil your using is not helping your dragon get better ---- coils are NO good and offer no UVB in bigger tanks --- to be honest I wouldnt even use them in small tanks either -- no faith in them

Minimarsh

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1e889dyg said:
Ok so get the 10.0 bulb --- the 5.0 is not strong enough and can be used for a back up but you want that 10.0 bulb -- its a T 5 and better for him --- when you get it place it inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from his basking decor piece -- that log piece you have sitting next to the hammock is a real good piece for offering different basking temps - I have that same piece sitting under my basking light- my dragons love that decor --(separate tanks) I have the stick part sticking in the air layed on the floor of the tank and the big trunk piece under the basking light -- it offers temp gradients -- they can lay on it stand against it lay under it or prop themselves on the long stick part --- if you need help in hanging the fixture let me know and I will post some stuff for you --- that coil your using is not helping your dragon get better ---- coils are NO good and offer no UVB in bigger tanks --- to be honest I wouldnt even use them in small tanks either -- no faith in them

okay thank you so much for your help! also should i take my bearded dragon to the vet? or will the UVB stick help?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Both --- but that long tube fixture is going to really help ---- they need that good UVB for the overall health of the dragon --- the vet needs to do X rays to see if there is any fluid there -- w/ him going on the Baytril and not having any UVB really did no good - but going back on a med w/ the good UVB should clear it up-- along w/ good basking temps-- its going to help his immune system fight it off -- just remember to change out that 10.0 bulb in approx 1 year -- I usually recommend a month prior to -- the dosage was probably right but not having the good UVB wasnt doing any good- what was the amount they prescribed and how long and how much does the dragon weigh - we can have Tracie take a look and she can tell you if the amount was right for his weight etc

Minimarsh

Original Poster
KarrieRee":28mrxo3l said:
Both --- but that long tube fixture is going to really help ---- they need that good UVB for the overall health of the dragon --- the vet needs to do X rays to see if there is any fluid there -- w/ him going on the Baytril and not having any UVB really did no good - but going back on a med w/ the good UVB should clear it up-- along w/ good basking temps-- its going to help his immune system fight it off -- just remember to change out that 10.0 bulb in approx 1 year -- I usually recommend a month prior to -- the dosage was probably right but not having the good UVB wasnt doing any good- what was the amount they prescribed and how long and how much does the dragon weigh - we can have Tracie take a look and she can tell you if the amount was right for his weight etc

They prescribed 0.5mm and he weighed around 400g when they prescribed it, now he weighs 510g. The last time I went ( back in february) they didn’t find anything wrong but his symptoms were showing them they said to bath him more which would help with his poop too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would not think bathing would help w/ a RI -- I am sending your post to Tracie
she is on late at nite normally

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sorry your dragon is still having trouble. Baytril is a bit harsh on the system. Do you know
the strength of the solution by chance, so I can double check the dose? He weighs 510 now
but they dosed him when he was 400 grams?
If the oral meds are not working, you can consider doing some nebulizer treatments for him to
help with delivering the medication more effectively into the lungs. Are you keeping him a bit
warmer during the night, in his tank also?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom