Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone

A month ago, my bearded dragon was seen by a vet for lack of appetite. We later discovered he had some parasites, given medication (he's on his last dose next week) and I thought by now his appetite would return. However, Drogon hasn't eaten anything green in weeks nor has he had interest in any of his feeders. On his good days, he will take food from my hand (a few bugs at most), but I don't want him to get used to that behavior. He's still doing well with baths, he's active, alert, and curious. His initial weight at the vet visit was 692 g and has since dropped to 680 g.

Should I be concerned? Do you have any idea what's going on or how I can get him to eat again? I'm really concerned and frustrated :( I just want my baby to be okay! :(

Thank you!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't worry too much yet, as that's not too much of a weight drop - though others may need to chime in if I'm mistaken. I think I recall reading that some of the meds for parasites can have a negative impact on the appetite, but I'm not sure how long that lasts for... maybe ABHD or Drache could let you know.

Have you tried organic pumpkin or squash baby food, fed via dropper? Maybe that would jump-start his appetite? What's Drogon's usual salad and bug menu?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
ComicBookMama":2hxmd9ux said:
I wouldn't worry too much yet, as that's not too much of a weight drop - though others may need to chime in if I'm mistaken. I think I recall reading that some of the meds for parasites can have a negative impact on the appetite, but I'm not sure how long that lasts for... maybe ABHD or Drache could let you know.

Have you tried organic pumpkin or squash baby food, fed via dropper? Maybe that would jump-start his appetite? What's Drogon's usual salad and bug menu?

Regarding his usual feeding, he used to eat every day and was pretty good with his greens! I provided spring mix, his favorite, along with dubias, BSFL, mealies, and supers, all rotated through the week for variety with calcium daily and multi-vite powder a few times a week.

I tried the syringe method and he was pretty good with organic canned pumpkin, and sometimes I made him a smoothie with extra greens. He was good with it, but for some reason the vet said not to do that too often? :(

Im so lost and frustrated :study: :study: :study: :banghead:

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Selkie1993":3o6alyaj said:
ComicBookMama":3o6alyaj said:

Regarding his usual feeding, he used to eat every day and was pretty good with his greens! I provided spring mix, his favorite, along with dubias, BSFL, mealies, and supers, all rotated through the week for variety with calcium daily and multi-vite powder a few times a week.

I tried the syringe method and he was pretty good with organic canned pumpkin, and sometimes I made him a smoothie with extra greens. He was good with it, but for some reason the vet said not to do that too often? :(

Im so lost and frustrated :study: :study: :study: :banghead:

I would feel frustrated and confused, too. I know that not many people do syringe feed for long term just because of the extra work it takes (making the smoothies and all), but I'm honestly perplexed as to why the vet would say you SHOULDN'T do it very often. I'll have to defer to a more experienced owner on this.

Maybe also try to change up the greens and veggies you're offering? Maybe try arugula for a bit - my boy has always liked that - or something else that he doesn't often get? Or try altering the way the salads are presented... I've started grating yellow squash and carrots, and Figment likes them pretty well that way, when he wouldn't touch squash as cubes or carrots as slivers/ peels.

Wish I had more to offer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom