Albon and Panacur medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I took buster to the vet and from a stool test it came back that he has moderate amounts of pinworms and coccidia in his system. He’s been eating normally and has been very active so it came as a surprise to me. On my end I’m doing everything I can, making sure his tank is as sterile as possible and trying to not stress him out as much as I can.

The medication hasn’t arrived yet, but should either today or tomorrow, I’ve read a lot about how these medications can cause extreme lethargy / lack of appetite, so for the sake of my health and to make sure I don’t do anything wrong, I was wondering if anyone had advice when taking these medications? Especially together?

If he stops eating and I need to act fast I wanna know how I can do that now before anything bad happens. He’s a tough guy so I think he’ll be fine but I want to be prepared as possible.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are fairly common parasites and can be treated effectively. The Panacur is quite effective against pinworms and seems to have minimal side effects and short dosage time. The Albon can be pretty harsh on them though. I've seen people have better luck using Ponazuril to treat the coccidia. It might be worth checking with the vet to discuss possible side effects of the Albon. Either way, it's good to offer plenty of extra water by dripping on their nose and offering hydrating foods like squash etc to help keep their kidneys running well during treatment.

Since coccidia was detected, you'll want to take extra care with your cleaning during treatment. Using disposable substrate and minimal/easy to clean accessories in the enclosure is a good idea. Thoroughly clean and sanitize any surface that comes into contact with poop as soon as you can. Coccidia doesn't seem to respond to bleach, so disinfecting with an ammonia solution or heat/steam or a veterinary disinfectant like F10 or Rescue is a good idea. This will help prevent re-infection after treatment is complete.

Connordac18

Original Poster
I really appreciate your response!! I did ask my vet about the possible side effects of the medication, and they told me there shouldn’t be any, which sort of sketched me out because everywhere I’ve looked I’ve heard it does. Although she’s seems very knowledgeable about other things so far (only been with her for a few weeks).

I’ve been cleaning everything with boiling water and I just bought ammonia today and made a 10% solution and deep cleaned one tank, I’m planning on switching him between them so I can clean each out every other day. I only have his hammock, a hide and his food bowls in his tank. I have tile a the bottom which I sanitized last night and this morning put 2 layers of paper towels over it just to be extra safe. Planning on cleaning every accessory/tank atleast once a day and when he poops.

I’ll take your advice in the medication, I also heard it would be good to get yogurt/probiotics to help keep his systems up, has that ever worked for you or from what you’ve heard? Let me know if you think I should be doing anything else!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you're on the right track. Hopefully the treatment will work quickly and completely. Probiotics can be helpful so are probably worth a shot. Non dairy/soy yogurt contains the probiotics needed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it sounds like you have a good handle on everything with your cleaning, etc. It
really shouldn't be too difficult to get those levels down at all.
As Cooper suggested, probiotics would be helpful if you do go with the Albon. Since it is
sulfa based, it is very dehydrating so try to get in extra oral fluids daily if possible.

I hope things go smoothly!

Tracie

Connordac18

Original Poster
110279-6258581877.jpg
Hey guys, so I got the medication in, so these look like the correct amounts I should be giving to him? cc and ml are the same measurements, not sure why they switched between them. I just got weirded out that I’m giving him a dose of panacur every two weeks, and about 3-4 doses, but they want me to give them another fecal in two weeks, even though in theory he’d only have had his first dose? Does this seem right? Just a check up to see how the medicine is doing?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those look like typical amounts. Not sure why they used the cubic centimeter but as you said they are the same amount in a syringe. From what I've seen, the Panacur is typically offered in two doses over a week or two, but I think that's up to your vet. The dosing is done by weight. I'm not sure why the report is written in kg for a dragon (assuming the .02kg at the top of the report is the weight at the vet visit). That is only 20g which is quite small. Do you have a kitchen scale? If so, I'd get a current weight measurement in grams and see if the report is accurate. Dosage can be adjusted based on recorded weight. Certainly double check with your vet before making any changes based on recommendations here though.

Connordac18

Original Poster
Thanks for the response :) buster is only about 2 and a months old, I’m not sure if that would still be considered small but I’ll definitely weigh him today

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did the vet not dose the medications for you? So essentially you are supposed to compound
& measure the powder to be mixed into a liquid? I am really good at that, so let me know if you
need any help.
We can help out with that if you need. How is he doing today?
I am glad he is eating well & is active, that is a good sign. The levels were moderate so that
is good they weren't affecting him.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tracie, It looks like the meds are dosed, the question is more of a sanity check on the dosage amount for such a little guy (20g). The dosages are on the package labels (the meds were mailed) I also wonder about giving two weeks of Albon to a small dragon (even at .02ml). Perhaps Ponazuril would be a better way to go. Just thinking aloud though. What do you think of it?

Connordac18

Original Poster
So I gave him the panacur today and he seems to be doing fine, it took a while because he’s still kind of scared of me and my girlfriend. He’s not eating as much but he’s also pretty stressed out because we’ve been constantly changing things and handling him when we need to to keep things clean. If there seems to be really big trouble I’ll call my vet right away and see what they say, switch over meds if needed. His next dose isint for two weeks

Connordac18

Original Poster
110279-8303581695.jpg
110279-1724768468.jpg
These are pictures of him I just took, in a 50 gallon tank for reference. I’ll try to weigh him but he’s still not used to being handled so I don’t know how I’ll get him to stay on my scale without jumping/running off or anything.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah he's still pretty small. 20g is probably a close enough approximation. No sense stressing him out even more if he isn't going to want to sit still. For future reference though, I've had good luck putting a shoebox top on the scale and taring it. Then just plop them in the shoebox top (or any kind of container really).

The Panacur shouldn't be too rough. That's for the pinworms. It's the Albon that has me a bit concerned just because I've read about that and other sulpha drugs being a bit harsh compared to the newer meds such as Ponazuril. As mentioned before, keep offering plenty of hydration during treatment, as that should help quite a bit. Drips of water on the nose to lick up, spritz of water on the nose, hydrating food (and fresh veges to gutload bugs) etc will all be beneficial.

I'm not trying to cause concern, just being cautious and thinking aloud a bit trying to get additional opinions to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom