HELP!! PLEASE!! Please! GOUT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz0115

I need help please!!
I’m seeking any advice or help possible for my Frilled Dragon!
** I am aware they are not the same and therefore the help and everything regarding both will be also different, but I am in such desperation for anything and anytime I search anything for Frillys I get re directed here or other beardie pages, please!

I have a New Guinea Frilled Dragon, about a year and a half. I’ve had him since he/she was just a hatchling. I have *him* in a 4x3x2 enclosure with correct uvb and heating on a daily 7am-7pm schedule, he eats his daily dusted dubias, crickets, or super worms (usually dubias though) and always has it’s daily evening soak to hydrate (enclosure also misted around noon).

Monday (2/15/21) I noticed his arms/hands were swollen, I know this doesn’t happen “overnight” I truly do not understand how this happened?? I began googling like crazy and came across a lot of articles regarding gout, maybe I’ve been over doing it w calcium D3? Although his uvb was still up to date I bought a new one just in case and many articles recommended Black Cherry concentrate so I picked that up as well and have given him some every day. There’s never a right time for anything like this but rn it truly couldn’t be worse I live in TX and we’ve been hit with this damn winter storm! Our power was on/off until today (2/18/21) but I did all possible to keep him warm until it came back. As off today it’s been back and hasn’t gone out again.I don’t have trusted, knowledgeable vets near me except one about an hour away which I don’t mind but rn can’t get an appt soon enough. He is still eating, and although I’m trying to minimize his movement assuming there’s pain, he still moves fine and drinks water & BCC out of the syringe. Ive read a lot about allopurinol, will that help? Can I buy over the counter?

I know this is all over the place I’m sorry I’m just so overwhelmed, I’ve been researching like crazy since Monday but I feel so limited to what I can do due to this damn storm, I have a picture of his little legs but I’m not sure how to upload here!! Please please any help please!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your frilled dragon is having trouble! We live in Texas also & have been lucky with
our power though.
You can simply click on the XIMG to upload your pictures to the photo gallery, then copy/paste
to post here.
Which UVB light are you using for him? What type of supplementation are you using?
Gout can seem to come on suddenly but most of the time you will see subtle issues like isolated
swellings, etc. It could be something as simple as the calcium to phosphorus ratios being off
from a high protein diet, or not enough water, etc. Oversupplementation can sometimes cause
imbalances. How many insects weekly are you giving him?
What are the temperatures you are keeping him at?
Do start him on the black/tart cherry extract, daily. You can give .5 to 1ml daily & you can either
give it to him straight or diluted for extra oral hydration.
Allopurinol is the best drug to give for gout. Depending on whether or not it is full blown gout he
may not have to be on meds, for life. You can purchase it without a prescription online. I will
PM you for a link for you should you want to start him on it for awhile.

I hope you are staying warm!
Tracie

Liz0115

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your reply!!!!

For UVB I’m using the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO (the long bar bulb). He is served 10 medium dubias in the morning and 10 in evening out of the total 20 he’ll usually eat about 16-18. (Same w crickets, if super worms it’ll be 8 in am & 8 in evening since they’re a little longer) I dust them with Zoo Med Repticalcium
w D3. His basking spot (the top left side of enclosure) is always at ~100F and he has the bottom of the enclosure & the right side as his cooler area, with a hide spot under his hammock and branches to rest/cool off on.

I’ve been syringe giving him the black cherry since Monday 2/15 about 2mL around 9am once he’s more alert and has had time to get adjusted for his day, his lights turn on at 7am

Thank you so so so so much!!
About to figure out how to upload the picture right now!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I sent you a PM this evening, with my email also.
How is he doing tonight?
The Reptisun 10 T5 is a great tube bulb so, he should be getting plenty of UVB.
For now, I would cut out the calcium with D3 in case he was getting too much & just use
calcium without D3 right now. Since he has a strong UVB light, he should be synthesizing
adequate D3.
Does he like the black cherry concentrate?
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom