HELP my beardie turned dark and is puffed up and yelling at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigieeee

HELP! I just adopted my beardie 5 days ago and everything was going great and he was having so much fun and climbing all over me and loved it. And suddenly he just got puffed up and black and started yelling at me and now his skin has changed a different color and he's yelling at me to come out and I don't know what is going on. I am petrified I am doing something wrong.

Hes about 3 years old, I adopted him from another family. Could it be that he's in a new tank with a new owner and so much has changed? Does he hate me now?

please please please help me. I want to give him the best life possible. Please

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be a few different things -- we need to go over the lighting first - what are you using for a UVB and where in the tank is it? Is it a coil or a long tube fixture? Basking temps how are you taking them and what are they? NO stick ons please and NO coil UVB's --- you can post a pic of the tank if you like
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post

Brigieeee

Original Poster
Oh no, I'm using a stick on temperature. I have the long tube UVB T5 10.0. It fills 3/4 of his tank. His entire body has turned black/orange. And he is definitely angry at me because he is giving me the stink eye and is puffed up and black underneath and is glaring at me back constantly. I read that it could be extreme stress? He was so happy and curious and energetic the past 5 days and all of a sudden he became angry.
Attached is a picture of my tank. its 36 by 18 by 18in. Thank you!
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/25502/full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so get a digital probe thermometer and get the temp -- it should be 95-110 -- the UVB I would get the stick that is right under it lower so he cant get completely so close to it -- you want your distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- if the temp is too hot that could be why he is not so happy --- relocation stress will give the stress marks - as long as your UVB is good and basking temps are good he will come around -- I dont really see any black --- usually if the body is turning black they are trying to absorb heat and that could be first thing in the morning -- beards turning black and I mean really black could be a sign of distress or pain and his beard is not that black -

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He looks good but I would get rid of the heat rock --- we dont recommend heat rocks or heat mats - dragons heat from the back not bottoms and its to much of a risk w/ the heat rocks - also what are you using for a substrate?

Brigieeee

Original Poster
Okay I will absolutely get rid of the heat rock. I'm using Zoo Med Reptichips. https://zoomed.com/repti-chips/ I read it was a good way for him to still burrow and dig and since he was an adult risk of eating wasnt as bad. Do you have a probe thermometer you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get one from the pet store most use the Zoo Med digital probe they are like $8-9 - also an IR gun is handy to you can get them from your local home improvement store for around $20 -- you dont need a fancy expensive one- they work good as well - just not on hammocks -- its good to have both

Brigieeee

Original Poster
Okay thank you so much, I will go there tomorrow when it opens. Is there anything I can do? I'm scared he's going to hate me now or is going to get worse and I won't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom