Beardie has yellow flakes coming off his underside!! help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just got my brothers bearded dragon and I noticed during his bath that there was a lot of yellow on the bottom of his tail. I was gently brushing him with a toothbrush and it was coming off, however some is stuck. I also noticed beforehand that his mouth seems to be raw and a bit yellow too. I’m not sure of the care routine my brother had, so I’m trying to figure out what this could be. I believed the mouth issue was mouth rot, however he shows no other symptoms. This makes me believe he was hitting his mouth on the glass of his cage, his cage is a 70gal i believe, so i covered the sides incase its his reflection. We just use paper towels for the floor and he has a very basic setup. I looked up the yellow flakes concern and everything says it may be yellow fungus, however he has no “stained” spots besides from 2 of his toes. If you have any ideas please let me know!! If you also notice anything else wrong with him from the photos please inform me!
110478-1215128345.jpg
110478-1036885251.jpg
110478-5223418036.jpg
110478-271974165.jpg
110478-6031095618.jpg
110478-5625822539.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It does look like retained shed, to me. It definitely isn't yellow fungus though. A lot of times,
old scales tend to become dull or yellowish in color before they shed off.
You can simply try giving a bath a few times per week, if the scales are slow to slough off.
Is his appetite good?

Tracie

spookyanger

Original Poster
he is acting normal from what I can tell. I posted this on a facebook group and a few people said its yellow fungus or scale rot... now im confused ? I was planning on taking him to a vet but I’m not sure what to do now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please dont listen to the people on FB most havent a clue and give bad advice- it isnt yellow fungus or scale rot - Tracie knows what shes talking about shes our vet tech mod

spookyanger

Original Poster
ahhh okay ? ill just watch it for a few days and see. im just worried because a few of his scales seem messed up and his mouth and toes are a bit yellow. i was planning on taking him to the vet just incase..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's 100 % not Y.F. You don't need to bother with a vet, some do needless biopsy + treatment and then come back to the owner and say that it wasn't. There are many very experienced owners here that know this is not Y.F. Sad to say that many vets do not know the difference. You can put a dab of raw unpasteurized honey on the slight dryness + crackly snout, it's like a lip balm for reptiles. Just be sure there are no loose insects in the tank. Other than that there's no action needed, he's fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom