Trouble getting my Dragon to switch from crickets to worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

butchelsa

My Beardie of 15 years passed a couple weeks ago so I got all new lights, rocks, tree branches (artificial) and other habitat additions and then went all the way to 'the city' and brought home an 8 weeks old "Charlie". She was fed crickets at the shop and I was able to bring a couple dozen home with me. Trouble is... I live so far out that Amazon and others will not ship live crickets to me in the winter. I still have a large mealworm (my super's are to large) population and have tried to get her interested in them. She sits in the bowl watching them squirm around her and them walks away. Yes, she is very active exploring her viv and will run after any cricket I put in. I am running out of them though, and am asking for help in getting her to make the switch (its been 10 days). Thank you in advance

That's an interesting problem, you could try to mix the insects together, see if she snags a few worms in as she goes for the crickets.
You could also try withholding crickets for a day and try giving her the worms the day after see if she will go for the worms then when shes a bit hungrier, though i don't really feel conformable doing this method for more than a couple days since she is a growing baby, if not you can always try investing in canned crickets as a back up.
If you do happen to run out of food for her to eat you can make her a slurry with the worms and some greens/fruit then syringe feed her just so she'll get some food in her until you can convince her to eat the worms normally.
The last method is a little more difficult just because you have to be fast; pretty much present her a cricket in front of her then as she goes for it put a worm in her mouth and hope she doesn't spit it out
Sorry I couldn't provide anything else, these are just the methods I know of hope this helps!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Too many mealworms will cause impaction--- for a baby - please order some dubia roaches from here and have them hold at the post office- you can call your post office and tell them to hold them as well--
www.dubiaroaches.com

butchelsa

Original Poster
Thank you for the info. I will try those ideas and see if she'll eat. She did eat a couple this morning so I hope she is she way to expanding her diet. -Mick

butchelsa

Original Poster
To those who replied: I have decided she's too young to mess around so I found a friend who is heading down to the city and will pick up an order of small crickets and Dubi Roaches. I will meet him in town and that should take care of Miss Charlie. I am happy to say she really dug into her salad his morning. She should be OK until the day after tomorrow when the livestock comes in. Thanks for the help and concern. -Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom