beardie keeping one eye closed/shut

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtony

hey all. pretty concerned right now, as this issue has been going on for 1-2 days now.

heres the situation, basically my 3 year old beardie Jesse has had his left eye shut for a while now. it'll open a little bit throughout the day, and then close back up. his eye is shut both when he is basking and when he is not basking. i just moved, so the stress of the move might be a factor to take into consideration. his UVB light has been out for a week (i needed it delivered, i live in the middle of nowhere), and i just replaced that and this issue popped up. however, whenever i take him into the bathroom for a bath or pick him up for some quality time, his eye is normal. the same eye also looks a little sunken in, however he is not dehydrated because i did the skin test and it was normal.

i use carpet as my substrate, so its not sand or anything getting into his eye. i also dont see any parasites or anything around his eye. i give him collard greens for vegetables and crickets with calcium powder on them for his food. he is well fed, but not fat or anything. it looks like he's about to start shedding as his arms have gotten lighter as well. any input is appreciated, and im sorry if i posted this to the wrong board. im just a little worried for jesse :(

thanks everyone for any help

heres the regular eye (with the arm that might be sheddding?)
https://imgur.com/GEIGEYP

and here is the problem eye (the gunk is on the outside from where i pulled off the stickers dont worry his tank is clean )
https://imgur.com/ovCC3xi

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb NO coils and what substrate are you using?
Karrie

bigtony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ht4yote7 said:
What are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb NO coils and what substrate are you using?
Karrie
i am using an exo terra uvb 10, but i have one of the long ones coming in the mail. i havent had on his uvb for 2 days, as i read online that they could irritate him. this is the same uvb that he had before and he hasnt had any problems. for the substrate, i am using zilla terrarium liner for his 40g tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Exo Terra UVB 10 is a coil? What long tube do you have coming please---
Karrie

bigtony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":274792qv said:
The Exo Terra UVB 10 is a coil? What long tube do you have coming please---
Karrie
yes, its the shape of a coil. he has had this type of light for the last 3ish years and he hasnt had a problem. this is the one i have coming in, i saw it recommended on here: https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-t8-reptisun-100-uvb/dp/126592?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35V3Ocy1-1yJxQ-1UfYvY_1TKiLqI16WTJDWcwemLmHyqasJJ_B4gueRoCPDMQAvD_BwE

i am getting the 18 inch version

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that T 8 is going to need to go into the tank w/ NO obstruction meaning NO cover over the bulb -- when you install it take the cover off and it needs to go inside the tank directly over the basking decor w/ a distance of 6-8 inches ---
Karrie

bigtony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ds5qyhi said:
Ok so that T 8 is going to need to go into the tank w/ NO obstruction meaning NO cover over the bulb -- when you install it take the cover off and it needs to go inside the tank directly over the basking decor w/ a distance of 6-8 inches ---
Karrie
ok, i can do that. thank you for your help. do you think its the UVB that i have rn thats causing the issue?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes --- after you get it installed watch the behavior -- and if you need help w /stuff to install please ask
Karrie

bigtony

Original Poster
KarrieRee":cgbb320d said:
Yes --- after you get it installed watch the behavior -- and if you need help w /stuff to install please ask
Karrie
thank you for your help karrie. :)

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
As someone with blue eyes, I totally know what he feels. I went to the Dominican Republic once for spring break and I literally couldn’t open my eyes when I was outside unless I was wearing 2 layers of sunglasses and a sun hat. Like my body just wouldn’t let me open my eyes so I just kinda had to pray I didn’t walk into the pool located next to the restaurant. ? (I stepped on a bee unfortunately and it died immediately... poor lil bee.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom