underweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jess3103

110157-8181788702.jpg
110157-3979515722.jpg
had him almost a month now, the lady at the shop i bought him from was only feeding him 5/6 crickets apparently. he’s not been the best eater but i’ve got him on 10/15 calci worms, between 0-10 locusts depending on the day and also a couple of wax worms a day because he hadn’t been eating for a while and i’ve read they can help in fattening them up a little. he has energy and is very very lively i’m just worried he looks a little too skinny. as far as i know he’s maybe about 11/12 weeks but he’s quite little still, almost 7 inches. not sure if the pet shops lied about age to get them sold before christmas maybe :/

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They may have been wrong on the age, absolutely, it happens quite often.
Based on the pictures, he looks very healthy to me. Do you know his weight by chance?
At his age, he can eat as much as he would like, within reason but he does need the higher
amount of protein for awhile. Is he eating any vegetation yet?
Which UVB light are you currently using?

Tracie

jess3103

Original Poster
Drache613":2c79ihdt said:
Hello,

They may have been wrong on the age, absolutely, it happens quite often.
Based on the pictures, he looks very healthy to me. Do you know his weight by chance?
At his age, he can eat as much as he would like, within reason but he does need the higher
amount of protein for awhile. Is he eating any vegetation yet?
Which UVB light are you currently using?

Tracie
he weighs about 10grams, i have an all in one basking bulb from arcadia, it’s a d3 uvb and basking. as far as i know he’s the perfect size for a beardie that’s about 2 months, not one that’s about to turn 3 months

dave93245

Hello,
I had a similar experience with my Dragon Jim when he was very young. I also worried about his growth during the first few weeks I had him then all of the sudden he started growing like weed from 7 inches to 14 in less than 2 months. I am no expert but from my limited knowledge feed him as much as he wants with dubias and crickets make sure to gut load them with greens and squash dust them with calcium and provide good lighting lots of UVB and a 105deg basking spot, soon he will grow and try to eat you out of house and home. My one dragon cost almost as much to feed as 3 of my dogs. I always offer a salad with lots of mustard / collard greens and now at 4 months he has started finishing them off every day. I give salad in the morning and insects in the afternoon, I think offering only salad in the morning has kinda forced him to start eating greens. but I also make sure he gets plenty of live insects every day for the proteins he need to grow. Calcium every day and vitamins on Saturday, so far he is very healthy and active.
110261-5505357147.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom