Opinions on medicating a baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarac

Hi everyone. I've posted on here so many times now about my baby lol.

So if you have seen my other posts, my ~2 month old beardie is having some respiratory issues and it seems that it is looking like a respiratory infection. She is only about 6 grams. She gasps about every minute, even in her sleep. No cough, mucus, discharge, wheezing etc. Her urates are white, poops are normal, and energy levels are good (although she naps sometimes, but she isn't getting adequate sleep since the gasping will sometimes wake her up... so I let her have it). She eats about 8-10 bugs a day and then I give her reptaboost and she'll eat some veg. Anyways, with a 6 gram beardie I am very afraid to medicate. As I have already discussed with @AHBD it is possible that she will recover from increasing temps at night. I have a vet appointment Monday and I am wondering if I should even ask about antibiotics. I have seen so many people have success with their babies when taking antibiotics for an RI, but none were this small. I am afraid that my vet may not properly dose her, or that it will really compromise her body. On the other hand, if this gets worse I would probably not be able to get her into a vet for another week because of COVID, so I am curious if I should get antibiotics to have just in case. I really don't know.... she is just so tiny.

If anyone could give their opinion on the meds used to treat RI's I would really appreciate it. If any are too harsh, or you have seen people with a lot of success with them? Especially with babies this small?? I am going to stick with high temps for as long as possible, I just want to prepare for meds if I need to.

Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sara,

How is your baby doing?
Is she still having breathing problems? Medicating them for a suspected respiratory issue
needs to be carefully considered because antibiotics can be really hard on their system.
Has her breathing improved at all?
Having antibiotics on hand can be good, in case you did decide to medicate. Continue to
give reptaboost & keep offering veggies as she eats them.
As AHBD suggested, increasing her overnight temperatures will hopefully help her out. Do
you know what the humidity is in her tank?

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

sarac

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

She is about the same. Normal activity, eating, pooping, hydrated etc. Just still doing her gasping. I wouldn’t say it has improved, in fact it probably got slightly worse, but I haven’t had her with heat in the night for a while.. maybe a few days so I don’t think it would have gotten better yet. The humidity in her tank ranges from 10%-36% but she rarely ever goes to the side where it’s 36%. I have to take her on my drive tomorrow and I’m really worried how the stress will affect her immune system, so I will definitely be going to the vet and will address how I think antibiotics would at least be good for me to have on hand. If it comes down to it, I want to be prepared for the supportive care that comes with medicating her (probiotics etc) especially since it will be so hard to dose her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom