Bearded dragon threw up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5 1/2 month bearded dragon. This morning I noticed what I thought was a poorly digested poop from my bearded dragon. You could clearly see undigested cricket parts within but no urate which I thought was weird. Quickly after I noticed this the little guy came down and pooped in front of me so now I’m thinking this pile of undigested crickets was regurgitated. I’m not sure what could be causing this. I have been trying to get a proper temperature in the tank I have a 4x2x2 enclosure that keeps heat in a little to well so I know the temps are not to low that he would be having trouble digesting. Could it be he is too hot?? About two nights ago his heat emitter stopped working and he did not have any heat for the night could this be why?? We have a t5 uvb light that sits about 8 inches away a from his main basking spot. He has had a great appetite but last night and this morning I couldn’t get him to eat. I am considering bringing him to the vet to test for parasites but all the vets I call want from 80-200 dollars for a fecal on top of the exam fee. Could they treat him for parasites without a fecal being brought in. Should I bring him to the vet yet or wait to see if he gets better??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please adjust your T 5 8" is too close -- distance should be 12-15--- sounds like he got a upset stomach from what ever it was he ate --- what are your temps in the tank at nite -- if they are below 65 then you would need the CHE -- what are you feeding besides crickets?
Karrie

Hannahskye

Original Poster
I’m sorry I was wrong about the distance of the t5 my basking bulb is about 8 inches from the main basking spot but the t5 is about 12-13 inches away. Right now he mainly eats crickets twice a day I can only get him to eat one or two small roaches a day. He also get salads throughout the week. I rotate between calcium with D3 calcium without D3 and multi vitamin for dusting during the week. His temps at night stay around 85 on the basking side and around 70-75 on the cold side. We did have an incident two night ago where the ceramic bulb we where using broke and we didn’t notice she it got pretty cold in there. I did give him a bath yesterday afternoon could this be why his stomach was upset

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did he drink a lot of water? He didnt aspirate did he? The calcium D3 should be given 5 x per week once per feeding w/ him being so little -- the regular calcium can be given when he turns around a year old alternating between the 2 calciums and vitamins w/ beta carotene -- temps in the tank at nite should be 65-75-- 85 is too warm unless he is sick --- an upset stomach could of been caused by the crickets I would offer the roaches and no more crickets and see if that solves that issue- please dust your roaches w/ the supplements if your not already -- this could of been a one time thing but feed your roaches for now -- if it does not solve the issue then we are going to haft rule out other possible factors
Karrie

Hannahskye

Original Poster
Hey Kerrie thanks for all your help. I will try to switch him to roaches he just is picky about them. I appreciate your help I’m just curious where you have learned this information you hear so much when you read about bearded dragon it’s hard to know what to trust. He did drink a good amount of water but he didn’t seem like he was having trouble would I have noticed if he aspirated?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes -- he would of been breathing heavy etc --- most of the knowledge has come from this forum -- there are alot of people on here that really know their stuff -- I have also read some stuff on the internet by searching for answers as to certain things but for the most part it has come from here -- we can only help so far and then if its bad enough we recommend vet visits -- and even then sometimes we are questioning the vets ways on treating --- some of the times its way off and causing more harm than good --
Karrie

Hannahskye

Original Poster
I didn’t see any changes in breathing pattern after the bath. I will keep an eye on him. Of course if things don’t improve over the next fees days I will be taking him to an exotic vet down the road for me. I’m just trying to avoid the heavy vet bills I know will come along with it. Thank you for your advice it’s so hard to find solid trustworthy information everything you read seems like it can be counteracted by something else you read about it’s all so confusing I just want to do what’s beat for my baby.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wondering how many cricks he ate and what time of the day, also how soon afterwards was the bath ? Very important to answer those questions. Most beardies throw up if they didn't have enough time or proper heat to digest the food or if they are soaked afterwards too soon and chilled afterwards. It can also happen if they were too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom