"Burping" while sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarac

Hi everyone. I made a post about this a while ago. My baby bearded dragon has been gaping quite a lot. It looks like a burp and she even does it in her sleep. I have ruled out an RI at this point, because its been almost 2 weeks that she's been doing this. It hasn't necessarily worsened. No wheezing, coughing, discharge etc. She just burps and makes one large pop sound when she does it. I went to the vet and it was a horrible experience. His words to me were "I know as much as you do." Then tried to get me to pay for antibiotics for no reason and tests for adenovirus and when I asked if these were signs of adenovirus he said no. So.... I really hope anyone on here could give me some insight. He didn't even look at the video I had of her doing it and tried to give me medical advice. Anyways, I'm going to show you some videos. I'm wondering if my feeders are too big, but honestly I give her 1/4 crickets, tiny dubias, and micro superworms. I am going to attach a few videos.

Sorry I am posting about this again, but now it is interrupting her sleep. He also said it could be pain... TMJ etc. I just have never seen this and it seems like nobody else has either. She just finished shedding, I woke up today and shed was everywhere. I thought that was the reason she was doing this, but she still is and there is no shed to come off honestly, so I don't know. Also, she is eating normal, her poops are normal, she is hydrated, and she has a lot of energy still.

t5 10.0 UVB, 100W bulb (basking 105 degrees), humidity ranges from 10-36, cool side 75 degrees, 40 gallon glass tank.

Thank you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1rK26mBQ_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-8zbiYIkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-1VqtfRWI

sarac

Original Poster
@Drache613 @KarrieRee do you guys mind taking a look? I just have no idea what this is.

sarac

Original Poster
I also just want to add - this happens almost every 2 minutes while she is basking and probably every 10 minutes in her sleep. Although, I haven’t seen her completely throughout the night yet and I’m not sure if she stop at a certain point in the night. For instance, her lights have been out for 2 hours now and still every 10 minutes she lets out a gape. After some discussion maybe it is that her temps are too low at night and it is affecting digestion. They are about 70 degrees. Please let me know what you think.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Just a thought... could she have some stuck shed or any kind of blockage in her nose? Even if just a partial blockage. I've seen my boy do this before after a shed and it wasn't even visible at all to me until it was hanging half way out a few days to a week later lol. But this was in his adult life so maybe it will take longer for it to come out for your baby? I'd probably try to gently rub the nostrils to maybe loosen anything that could be there.

Maybe try using a mister spray on her to try and loosen any possible blockage. Like an actual misting spray bottle. Not the droplet type. It's more gentle and less stressful for them if they're not the type that likes being sprayed. I hope she feels better soon!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Sara, I do believe that's it's an R.I, just not a severe one and may just go away on it's own. Try keeping your cool end temps. and your night temps. around 80 and avoid soaking her. She'll still need water so you can drip it n her snout for a drink. Is she still eating well ?

sarac

Original Poster
AHBD":17ct0hib said:
Hi Sara, I do believe that's it's an R.I, just not a severe one and may just go away on it's own. Try keeping your cool end temps. and your night temps. around 80 and avoid soaking her. She'll still need water so you can drip it n her snout for a drink. Is she still eating well ?

Hi. Do you really think it’s an RI? She has been doing this for like 2 weeks now. I thought it would be so much worse now. I haven’t had her drink any water yet at all because her urates are white. She is drinking and eating fine. She also poops normally and has normal energy

sarac

Original Poster
Also, do you think I should push the vet for antibiotics? Or should I just let this resolve? She is gaping more often so it doesn’t seem that it is getting better. I asked for antibiotics and he said he “couldn’t dilute it enough”

sarac

Original Poster
I just got the call that she is positive for coccidia, do you think that could be it? I’m getting antibiotics today

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think that would be it. You can bump the cool temp. and the night up to 80 as I mentioned , that can help. If the vet prescribes something hopefully that wiil help.

sarac

Original Poster
AHBD":31xcr36v said:
I don't think that would be it. You can bump the cool temp. and the night up to 80 as I mentioned , that can help. If the vet prescribes something hopefully that wiil help.

The vet is refusing to even watch the videos. So I doubt he will prescribe anything. I will bump up her temps. If she is on coccidia antibiotics, should I also get RI antibiotics? I am going there at 1 and might just push for them. I am at home for winter break but go back to college on Friday and she will get stressed. I’m afraid that without antibiotics, if she has an RI she will get horribly sick

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can only tell you what I would do, if my dragon was eating well I wouldn't use coccidia meds. now because it could affect his appetite and cause him to stop eating. But if you feel the need to , you have to make that choice and see how it goes. I would think that your vet would have wanted to see your very short video. BTW, ask the vet what the coccidia count is, if it's low to moderate, many vets wouldn't treat it.

sarac

Original Poster
Okay. Yes my beardie has been eating normally. I am going to ask for the load of coccidia when I get there and I will let you know. I would rather not throw off her appetite if she is fighting an RI. I just called again and fought for RI treatment. I think they’re annoyed at this point and going to give it to me. I emailed them the videos AGAIN and asked that they watch them before I get there. It is insane to me how unprofessional they are being by trying to brush off a baby’s symptoms without even seeing the action. Just to be clear, in your opinion this is most likely an RI and not from coccidia. Btw, her poops are very normal. No mucus and they are 1-2x a day. I have a vet appointment on Monday at a veterinarian at my school who does think there is an issue and would like to look at it. That was the earliest I could get. In the mean time I am going to pick up a ceramic heat emitter for night. I believe everything is quite mild right now, but who knows what a 5 hour drive to school on Friday could do to this little baby. I am not willing to take the chance of not treating at least the RI. The coccidia is a different story because clearly this vet is unprofessional and does not know what he is doing. I will purchase the disinfectant but will wait on making any changes to avoid stress.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
sarac":23pgyhp1 said:
Okay. Yes my beardie has been eating normally. I am going to ask for the load of coccidia when I get there and I will let you know. I would rather not throw off her appetite if she is fighting an RI. I just called again and fought for RI treatment. I think they’re annoyed at this point and going to give it to me. I emailed them the videos AGAIN and asked that they watch them before I get there. It is insane to me how unprofessional they are being by trying to brush off a baby’s symptoms without even seeing the action. Just to be clear, in your opinion this is most likely an RI and not from coccidia. Btw, her poops are very normal. No mucus and they are 1-2x a day. I have a vet appointment on Monday at a veterinarian at my school who does think there is an issue and would like to look at it. That was the earliest I could get. In the mean time I am going to pick up a ceramic heat emitter for night. I believe everything is quite mild right now, but who knows what a 5 hour drive to school on Friday could do to this little baby. I am not willing to take the chance of not treating at least the RI. The coccidia is a different story because clearly this vet is unprofessional and does not know what he is doing. I will purchase the disinfectant but will wait on making any changes to avoid stress.

Get the second opinion from the vet at your school. You should put your beardie in a dark container while traveling so she sleeps the whole way. Bundle her in a small blanket and keep her in the dark while transporting. Many young beardies get mailed in deli cups for 24 hour journeys and show up just fine. I’m sure your beardie will be okay in a climate controlled car for 5 hours. You might want to keep them warm though.

sarac

Original Poster
Hi. I think she would be okay if she did not have this other stuff going on. She is doing it every few minutes so I think it would just get much worse if I brought her on a 5 hour drive. Not sure though. The vet legally can't give me her advice over the phone, I tried asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom