Help! Gulping/gasping mouth breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty123

Hi

So we have a 6 month old beardie called Dusty and he seems to be having a hard time swallowing and looks almost in panic at times . He seems to be gipping like he’s trying to throw up. He sometimes throws himself to the glass aswell really stuck on what to do ?!?

He’s been prescribed baytril and metacam a week ago for a suspected infection in the joints due to not eating properly, Don’t know wether the meds have made him sick as he’s been taking them on an empty stomach.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did Dusty just start breathing that way since starting on the meds. ? What type of infection is suspected and how did the vet come to that diagnosis ? It's very important to be sure an animal actually has a health problem when giving strong meds. like that. He may have aspirated the meds. or they may be making him sick. Metacam can cause stomach upset and even seizures in animals. Can you post pics of Dusty and his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

It would be very helpful to answer all the questions so we can help Dusty !

Dusty123

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for replying. He was breathing a little strange before but has got a lot worse since starting the meds. The initial problem was that he had swollen feet/fingers and the vet suggested that this could be due to him being a little run down and was put down as an infection hence the antibiotics . A week prior to this which I should have mentioned, we had been told he had pinworm eggs so he was also taking panacur for this, which was 1 dose of 0.04 ml every 2 weeks 3 times.

We have since noticed he has quite a lot of blood vessels and blackish throat partially towards the back but understand this could purely be due to stress and feeling Ill and puffing out his bearded.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics of his feet and now also his throat ? The foot problem sounds more like gout so if that's what it is the meds. he's on are totally wrong.

Dusty123

Original Poster
Yes of course. The vet did mention that it could be gout but as he had already been prescribed for the pinworms she thought that it might have been due to him being run down.

We do have an appt at the vet on Monday for diagnostics and a blood test but we are just worrying as his breathing has plummeted and seems like he’s getting a lot worse rather than better. Do you know if this strange breathing is a symptom of gout? Or would this be due to the medication been prescribed for something that it’s not ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The breathing problem is not a symptom of gout but there's a possibility that he aspirated some meds. when you administered it.

Dusty123

Original Poster
This could be true however i have given the meds slowly and most part in the corner of his mouth. Plus he does this everytime I give him the meds.

Are you able to view the pics iv uploaded?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Then he could possibly be having a bad reaction to the meds. And no, I don't see any pics.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a very nice large set up and your boy looks so cute sitting there although he's sick. The throat does look odd but it's kind of dark. I hate to bother you for more pics but are all the feet swollen ? That one doesn't really look bad. Is he having trouble walking ? If not then it's very unlikely that he has gout. I suspect that the meds. have made poor Dusty very sick, if you look up the side effects, nausea + vomiting is one of them. I think he's very sick right now because of this , we see this pretty often here when vets give meds. that are not needed. I would stop the meds. ASAP and give him water the way you were giving him meds.. BTW, what type of uvb bulb do you use and how close is it?

Dusty123

Original Poster
I will upload more pics now.

He hasn’t vomited at all however as we are speaking he’s throwing himself all over this tank which this behaviour for him is not normal. It doesn’t look like a seizure but he is definitely in some discomfort.

We are trying to keep him hydrated and have been giving him a bath each day.

We have a exoterra 25watt, 30 inch length, UVB 150

Dusty123

Original Poster
110200-4733511475.jpg

This photo shows he keeps opening and closing his mouth like he’s gipping or struggling to breath etc. He’s doing this constantly

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His joints look fine but he's REALLY sick from the meds. So sorry, it really sounds like that behavior is a side effect of meloxicam. It can cause confusion, seizures, etc. Please stop those meds., this vet did not know what they are doing. So was he able to walk O.K, aside from his problem now ? Something else to be concidered now that you mention his lights, the uvb is not a real strong one , is it over on the same side as the basking bulb and can Dusty get within at least 8-10 " ? Because if he has joint problems it could be that he's developing a calcium deficiency due to lack of uvb exposure.

Dusty123

Original Poster
It’s mainly his front feet and fingers which are the problem and not his joints. I’m not sure if you can tell from the photo but the left ones seem much more swollen than the right (on the pic).

He was able to walk however when we touched his fingers he did seem to jump a little indicating that they were tender.

Yes we will stop the meds now. Thank you. Is there anything you can suggest we do with him if this could be a reaction to his meds?

And yes there are areas within his tank which are closer than 8-10” from his uvb light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom