Strange Mark on Nose Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampgutz

I originally posted this in the health category a few hours ago but it doesn’t seem like anyone there can help me with it yet. I’m pretty concerned about Bee now so I’m hoping somebody here can help me with it.

Over the past 2-3 weeks I’ve noticed a slight yellowish color near Bee’s nostril. Initially I passed it off as something natural that I didn’t notice before, but I did keep an eye on it. But now I’ve noticed a bit of black around it as well. The yellow hasn’t spread at all, but I’m still concerned, so I’ll ask about it here.

He did have some really bad stress marks for about a week, which he seemed practically black everytime I went to check on him. They always went away after about an hour of holding him, though. I assume that was just because I was busy that week and didn’t get to spend a lot of time with him, which he isn’t exactly used to. I’m not sure if that could contribute to this strange thing on his nose, but I’ll mention it anyways.

He also sometimes runs into his glass of his tank, so I’m wondering if this could just be some sort of bruising from that? Aside from that he’s pretty healthy. He’s active and eats well. Has anyone else experienced this? There aren’t any reptile vets near me so I’m hoping I’m just freaking out over nothing.

Here are some images of it in different angles. Hopefully someone can help me with it when they get the chance ^^
110007-1756631476.jpg
110007-749088503.jpg
110007-3710987386.jpg
110007-6294453996.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a tiny one!
How often does he bang his nose up against the glass?
It is a bit hard to tell, but is it on or around his nostril? If it appears inflammed you can try to use
a bit of raw, unpasteurized honey on that area in case there might be some bruising or irritation
on that area from nose banging.
He is eating pretty well then?

Tracie

Vampgutz

Original Poster
Drache613":3rrgqpwq said:
Hello,

He is a tiny one!
It is a bit hard to tell, but is it on or around his nostril? If it appears inflammed you can try to use
a bit of raw, unpasteurized honey on that area in case there might be some bruising or irritation

Tracie

It isn’t too often, he just does it sometimes when he gets a little annoyed. I’d say once every couple of weeks or so, if not slightly more often occasionally. The yellow mark is on his nostril, while the black area is around it. In case it happens to be some food on him I am getting a toothbrush for him tomorrow.
I’ll be sure to try the honey if that doesn’t work, though. He is still eating well, I actually found him in his food dish this morning and munching on his greens so that’s relieving at least.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
Drache613":fempu7qg said:
Hello,

He is a tiny one!

Tracie

Okay, so here’s an update on Bee. I tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush and (unless it’s really stuck on him), it’s not any bits of food. I’ve tried some honey but I don’t think it did much. The mark is still there, so I’m not sure what it is. It hasn’t spread though, so I’m assuming it isn’t any fungus or anything, so that’s a relief.
However, he’s been showing some stress marks lately. Nearly everyday he’s almost completely black. I’m not sure if he’s cold or if it’s something else. I haven’t changed anything so I don’t think anything should be stressing him out, unless he’s just a little moody. Maybe he just needs some space? He doesn’t seem to mind when I hold him, as he just sleeps on me most of the time, but I don’t know. Not sure if you could help me out but maybe there’s something you could suggest. I think he’s still eating, but he isn’t as active as usual so I’m a bit worried.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics of his set up and list including the types of bulbs he has ? How are you taking his temps ? If his temps. + uvb are not up to par it will affect his energy and also greatly decrease his ability to stay healthy , his immune system will be weak and he will be more susceptible to any small health problem. You say that you think he's eating , what do you feed him and do you see him eat ?

Vampgutz

Original Poster
AHBD":381uc5ll said:
Can you post pics of his set up and list including the types of bulbs he has ? How are you taking his temps ? If his temps. + uvb are not up to par it will affect his energy and also greatly decrease his ability to stay healthy , his immune system will be weak and he will be more susceptible to any small health problem. You say that you think he's eating , what do you feed him and do you see him eat ?

I don’t have pictures right now, and I’m unable to take any at the moment, but he has a breeder tank. I think it’s a 40 gallon if I’m remembering correctly. But he has a basking rock and a hide of sorts on one side of the tank, with a water and food dish as well. His substrate is currently a reptile carpet, and he also has some scattered fish rocks on the hot side of his tank (they’re all pretty large so he can’t eat them, I’ll remove them once he gets older since I don’t want him to end up eating them in the future).

I currently do house a leopard gecko in the same tank, but there is glass in the center of the tank to separate both their sides so they can’t get near each other. He hasn’t had any issues with her before, and she usually stays in her hide anyways, but if he happens to see her that might make him a little stressed. I certainly plan to move the gecko into another tank in the future, but since Bee is pretty small right now I did this for the meantime as I don’t have a spare tank for the gecko. If I notice that this is becoming an issue for Bee I’ll have to put something over the glass to keep him from seeing her.

As for his bulbs, he has a 50 watt Exo Terra bulb, and the leopard gecko has her own of the same bulb. His UVB is a 10.0 Zoo Med compact fluorescent bulb, which I am hoping to get a long one in the future as I’m fairly certain it is considered a coil bulb. The light does cover more than half of his tank, however, so I believe he’s getting adequate lighting from it right now at least.

I’m currently taking his temps with an old thermostat that should still be accurate. On the cool side of his tank it gets about 70-80 degrees F, while on the hot side it gets around 80-90 degrees F. I know that’s a little cool so that could very well be the issue right there, but I’ve just gotten a 75W bulb that I plan to start using so hopefully that’ll raise the temps enough.

He gets fed crickets, collard greens, and Nature Zone bearded dragon bites. All of these are dusted with calcium. I’ve seen him eat his greens out of his food bowl a couple days ago, as well as a cricket or two. He’s also pooping, which seems to look pretty healthy, so that’s a good sign.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So that's a problem, the heat + uvb are both inadequate. A coil or compact on top of a 40 gallon is much too far away so he's getting next to no uvband the small heat bulb only getting the basking temp. has kept him from thriving. Make sure you get the 75 watt in right away, it's absolutely and desperately needed. You'll need some type of basking log so he can get closer to the uvb and you need a long tube byulb ASAP. If he's only eating 1-2 crickets he should be eating at least 15-30 every day. I know it's going to cost you bet the gecko needs his own tank, you CAN just use a small/medium plastic storage tote which is only 7-8 bucks and you'll need an under tank heater for it.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
AHBD":21oka92p said:
So that's a problem, the heat + uvb are both inadequate. A coil or compact on top of a 40 gallon is much too far away so he's getting next to no uvband the small heat bulb only getting the basking temp. has kept him from thriving. Make sure you get the 75 watt in right away, it's absolutely and desperately needed. You'll need some type of basking log so he can get closer to the uvb and you need a long tube byulb ASAP. If he's only eating 1-2 crickets he should be eating at least 15-30 every day. I know it's going to cost you bet the gecko needs his own tank, you CAN just use a small/medium plastic storage tote which is only 7-8 bucks and you'll need an under tank heater for it.

Alright, I’m thinking about alternating both bulbs as well if that seems okay. Just so that the 50W doesn’t go to waste, I’ll use that at night (since it’ll also keep the cooler temps for nighttime), and use the 75W during the day. And I’ll try getting a long UVB bulb ASAP as well.

And my apologies, I just realized that what I had said may have caused a bit of confusion. I meant that I saw him eat a couple of crickets, I do make sure to give him about 15-20 a day, if not a bit more.
I’m not sure how soon I’ll be able to get the gecko her own tank, but I do know she certainly needs one. I’ll look into a storage tote if possible though, thank you for suggesting that.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can't have a light at night, they need darkness to sleep. And yeah, a storage tote is fine, it works perfectly and is much less expensive than a tank so you should have the money for a heat pad right away. Make sure your gecko has a warm hide as well as one that is moist, you can use damp folded up paper towels but you need the under tank heater for the hides to stay warm.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
AHBD":2hukzw7m said:
You can't have a light at night, they need darkness to sleep. And yeah, a storage tote is fine, it works perfectly and is much less expensive than a tank so you should have the money for a heat pad right away. Make sure your gecko has a warm hide as well as one that is moist, you can use damp folded up paper towels but you need the under tank heater for the hides to stay warm.

I tried leaving the lights off at night when I first got him and the tank temp got below 65 degrees F, so I’ve just been leaving it on and he seems to be sleeping well. Unfortunately it gets quite cold where I live during the winter and I didn’t want to risk freezing him since it got so cold that first night.

And alright, perfect. I’ll see what I can do about the gecko then.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
You need to get the gecko housed in a different enclosure, the humidity from the leopard gecko (as I believe they have to have a more humid habitat) can trickle through to the bearded dragon side and cause skin infections. Also I’d be a bit more worried for the leopard gecko being able to see your beardie as they can drop their tail from stress. If you cover the glass, either one will be able to climb the vertical wall and end up in the other enclosure. You need separate enclosures.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
AHBD":28t5r59h said:

Okay, so uhm. I’m very sad to say that I think Bee has passed. He was perfectly okay last night, even pretty active. I was getting ready to check on him and change his bulb this morning and then I saw him in a rather concerning position. I don’t know what it was but it just looked wrong, so I immediately picked him up and my concerns seemed true. He was very limp, meaning that it was surely recent no matter what happened.

The thing is though, he still moved when I picked him up. He showed resistance and opened his mouth, but he was still limp. And then he just stopped. His color was back to normal though, so I’m not even sure what’s wrong. I’ve managed to overthink myself into thinking this is my fault, thinking that maybe I accidentally snapped his neck due to how limp he was. Though I’m sure that’s not the case.

He’s still limp, and I’m currently holding him in warm water in hopes that he’s just playing dead. I read that this could help, but there aren’t any good signs yet. The thing is though I don’t know what happened. Maybe he fell off his basking rock? I’ve read somewhere that dragons could tend to have seizures so maybe that’s what happened. Or maybe he choked on his food or something? I don’t know. He’s not even showing stress marks or anything so I don’t know.

One more thing, he was moving his tail earlier. I’m guessing it could’ve just been nerves, but if this matters I’m mentioning it now. I don’t know if there’s much you guys can do but thanks for helping me with Bee. I’m going to miss the little guy if he really is gone.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry, it could have been a number of things so you'll never know for sure. If he's still alive you can try an E.R vet but I doubt he's going to make it. Just set him in his cage, soaking in water won't do anything. I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you + your dragon. :(

Vampgutz

Original Poster
AHBD":mn2st46l said:
I'm so sorry, it could have been a number of things so you'll never know for sure. If he's still alive you can try an E.R vet but I doubt he's going to make it. Just set him in his cage, soaking in water won't do anything. I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you + your dragon. :(

I don’t think I have any vets near me even specialize in bearded dragons, let alone an ER vet. He’s in his tank right now but yeah, I do think he’s gone, unfortunately. It’s going to be weird without him, but I guess all I can do is possibly get a new one in hopes that I have better luck with that one.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
AHBD":yyrenw7b said:

Okay, he’s starting to get stiff, so yeah he is gone. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom