Beardie threw up after bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingleonaidas

EDIT: He's mostly breathing normally now, with only occasional hiccup-type noises. He's otherwise acting entirely normal, and his colors are back to normal as well. Did some poking around on the forums here for similar issues and my guess is that he's aspirated some water (he did stick his entire snout into the bath when I put him in, but I lifted him out almost right away). Tried the "tea pot" method - tipping his head and body downwards - but no water came out, so I'm hoping that it was only a tiny bit that he inhaled. Gonna follow some suggestions I saw on other threads and keep his nighttime temps higher for the next few days, just to stave off any possible respiratory infection. Any other advice would be a help though.

Hi all, I've got a six-year-old beardie. He was looking a little dehydrated so I was giving him water with an eyedropper, and then I decided to give him a quick soak (his femoral pores are also a little clogged so I know it helps with that too). He drank a fair amount of water in the bath and then I took him out, but he started making noises almost like a hiss/wheeze. I set him down on the ground and he vomited - mostly water, but also some of what he had eaten this morning. His beard was also completely black.

He's back in his tank now but every minute or two he makes a wheezing type sound, almost like a hiccup. I'm definitely freaking out a little, he's never thrown up before. Did he just drink too much water too fast, or could this be caused by something else? I also noticed his poop this morning was a little runnier than it normally is.

It's late so I don't want to take him to the vet unless I have to, but obviously I will if you all think that's the best course of action. Thank you in advance for any help, I appreciate it so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like he aspirated water --- watch for black bearding and hold him upside down for a few to see if some water comes out of his mouth -- next time you bath him if hes drinking that fast pull him ---
Karrie

kingleonaidas

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2dwb1ygf said:
Sounds like he aspirated water --- watch for black bearding and hold him upside down for a few to see if some water comes out of his mouth -- next time you bath him if hes drinking that fast pull him ---
Karrie
Hi, thanks for your response. I already tried tipping him downwards, and I didn't see any water coming from his nose or mouth. His beard was black just after he threw up, but it went back to normal coloring not long after. He's pretty much acting normal now, just an occasional faint wheezing noise. Now's about the time his lights would be shutting off for the night, but I turned off the timer for now so he can get some more light/warmth before he sleeps. Anything else I should be doing, or do I just need to keep an eye on him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes just keep an eye on him --- but it sounds like hes ok if his beard is back to normal ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom