Bearded dragon got sucked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was vacuuming up some dead skin from a recent shed. Sucked up the dragon on accident. Ended up into the container where items go an filter. He is about almost 3 months old. 6-7 inches long. Temps 98-103 and cool end 74. I use exo terra 100 watt and reptisun 10 along whole tank. Its a 20 gal. Just worried with current black beard. And back legs seem be dragging. Doesn't look to good. If anyone can help with uploading images may help. Also opens mouth if you try hold him an check for anything. Already got bit when putting cage items back in. If legs are broken will they heal on there own. I don't have a way get him to the vet currently. I don't drive an live alone. Just want do what I can help him. Just worried an didnt mean for this to happen. Should of removed him from tank before I cleaned. Wasn't thinking straight.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh how horrible. He is black bearding most likely because he is in a lot of pain and scared. And that would explain him biting you too.

The rear legs not moving is a bad sign. Best case scenario really is gonna be that his legs are broken, it's possible it's his actual back that is broken. He really needs to get seen by a vet for an x ray. They will be able to prescribe him medication to help with any inflammation and pain too.

I understand you don't drive and live alone, but you really should work out a way to get to a vet. Call an uber if you must, or perhaps explain to the vet your situation. You'd be surprised at how willing some vets are to treat an animal, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be willing to send someone to come pick him up, or pick you both up.

-Brandon

Feetlover01

Original Poster
I wish someone could help me. Seems to be his right rear leg an looks swollen. I don't even have money take him to the vet. Thank you going hope for the best :(
Claudiusx":3731wncf said:
Oh how horrible. He is black bearding most likely because he is in a lot of pain and scared. And that would explain him biting you too.

The rear legs not moving is a bad sign. Best case scenario really is gonna be that his legs are broken, it's possible it's his actual back that is broken. He really needs to get seen by a vet for an x ray. They will be able to prescribe him medication to help with any inflammation and pain too.

I understand you don't drive and live alone, but you really should work out a way to get to a vet. Call an uber if you must, or perhaps explain to the vet your situation. You'd be surprised at how willing some vets are to treat an animal, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be willing to send someone to come pick him up, or pick you both up.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I have never heard of this happening before, how horrible. He most definitely is in pain
& may have multiple broken bones in his back & legs.
All you can do is keep him comfortable & ensure that he can get his warmth from his basking &
UVB so he can be optimal temperatures. So if needed, go ahead & move his basking & UVB
to a lower distance to accommodate him being on the bottom of his tank.
I hope that you are able to get him comfortable & possibly get him to a vets as well.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Feetlover01

Original Poster
I have a grapevine under the heat an uvb. So he can get like 7-8 inches away from bulbs. There's no way to lower the lighting with mesh top? But with what am seeing there is no movement in the right rear leg. Just dragging it around. Havent seen an dark bruising. No open wounds on this leg. Just hoping it won't fall off like a broken tail. I gave a lukewarm bath for 30 minutes going offer crickets now.
Drache613":33hz2cc4 said:
Hello,

Oh no, I have never heard of this happening before, how horrible. He most definitely is in pain
& may have multiple broken bones in his back & legs.
All you can do is keep him comfortable & ensure that he can get his warmth from his basking &
UVB so he can be optimal temperatures. So if needed, go ahead & move his basking & UVB
to a lower distance to accommodate him being on the bottom of his tank.
I hope that you are able to get him comfortable & possibly get him to a vets as well.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

If you *really* can’t get that poor thing to the vet, you need to do the right thing and end it’s suffering yourself because the current circumstances are beyond cruel. I’m not blaming you—accidents happen—but you’re responsible for that animal and sometimes being responsible (unfortunately) means getting your hands dirty with things we don’t like thinking about.

Feetlover01

Original Poster
Myself? I think this message is cruel. If I had a way to help this little guy I would. I would even give him up if the op can fix this. I am already blaming myself. But this message is uncalled for. I made a mistake but not going put him in freezer smash him with a brick. Would be easy way out. But something I cannot do. I never hurt a animal or human. Not going start now. I just want him to get better. All I ask for an will pray tonight. I am already sick over this. Wasn't bad care just poor judgment on my part. Smh at this post. You actually should reread it. I sure hope you don't own a pet.
reereejugs":3c17fw6p said:
If you *really* can’t get that poor thing to the vet, you need to do the right thing and end it’s suffering yourself because the current circumstances are beyond cruel. I’m not blaming you—accidents happen—but you’re responsible for that animal and sometimes being responsible (unfortunately) means getting your hands dirty with things we don’t like thinking about.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

****Please refrain from lack of empathy to the OP as that will not help in any way, shape or form in this instance!
How is your dragon doing this evening?
You will need to watch the coloring on that leg. If there is no open wound, etc it should not become
infected. I am not sure what it will end up looking like, it is possible it could heal up. How does his
back look right now?
Has he been resting comfortably & have you been able to get any food into him?

Please keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Feetlover01":1rstvuws said:
Myself? I think this message is cruel. If I had a way to help this little guy I would. I would even give him up if the op can fix this. I am already blaming myself. But this message is uncalled for. I made a mistake but not going put him in freezer smash him with a brick. Would be easy way out. But something I cannot do. I never hurt a animal or human. Not going start now. I just want him to get better. All I ask for an will pray tonight. I am already sick over this. Wasn't bad care just poor judgment on my part. Smh at this post. You actually should reread it. I sure hope you don't own a pet.
reereejugs":1rstvuws said:

You already DID hurt your pet and now you have a responsibility to either get it treated or end it’s suffering yourself. Cruelty is being selfish enough to make it die broken and in agony because you don’t want to get your hands dirty or find a way to get it professional help. And yes, I do own a pet; one that’s extremely well cared for and I just had to make the painful decision to have my other beardie euthanized 2 days ago after she went into a lightning fast decline. I don’t have a car and couldn’t really afford a vet visit thanks to recent life events, but I still figured it out, got her seen and diagnosed literally as soon as a vet would see her, and chose the only humane option available, not because of cost but because of her diagnosis (GNT that rapidly spread) and physical condition by that time. Losing her was the last thing I wanted but I put her need to find peace ahead of my desire to have a little more time with my baby girl. She seemed fine not even a week ago and now she’s gone because life isn’t fair like that.

Feetlover01

Original Poster
Seems to be the same. I haven't seen any change in color of the leg. I thought it would change to a purple or black color. There is no open wound. Hes been basking alot since this happen. Maybe was stress on him. But wasn't interested in the crickets and greens yesterday. The back right rear leg just seems a bit darken.
Drache613":3rfeb6fp said:
Hello,

****Please refrain from lack of empathy to the OP as that will not help in any way, shape or form in this instance!
How is your dragon doing this evening?
You will need to watch the coloring on that leg. If there is no open wound, etc it should not become
infected. I am not sure what it will end up looking like, it is possible it could heal up. How does his
back look right now?
Has he been resting comfortably & have you been able to get any food into him?

Please keep us posted on him.
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I a sorry to hear about your baby-- please make sure your using a long tube fixture uvb-- coils are inadequate-- I don't know what size your tank is but for a 40 gallon you need a 24" w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5-- this is going to help him heal-- if you need more help please ask
Karrie

Feetlover01

Original Poster
full
full

Feetlover01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1wz2igha said:
I a sorry to hear about your baby-- please make sure your using a long tube fixture uvb-- coils are inadequate-- I don't know what size your tank is but for a 40 gallon you need a 24" w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5-- this is going to help him heal-- if you need more help please ask
Karrie
Hi thank you I am using a 20 gal for starter. Plan on getting 48" inch enclosure this summer. I am using a 18" reptisun 10.0 t8 if thats ok. I have a brand new 24" t5 H0 fixture but just have the 5.0bulb that came with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom