Limp leg after Droncit shot!! Advice needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my BD to the vet and afterward I noticed that she was not moving her left arm and just letting it hang and drag around while she walked. She was given a shot of Droncit for parasites/pinworms in that arm and now can not move it except above where the shot was given. My vet said that this has never happened to any of his patients before and gave me anti-inflammatory meds to give her. I am super worried that she will never be able to use that arm ever again, she just let's it hang and even when I try to move it she doesn't squirm or anything like she's in pain and it doesn't look inflamed at all. It's like she can't feel it at all. She did not eat well also but I think it may be just because she is getting tired of crickets. Any advice? Pls help!

PS- she normally gets many different types of insects at home but there is only crickets available at my parents house where I am staying for the next week and due to covid the pet store limits how much you can buy so I couldn't stock up on them before I left

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that happened. I haven't heard of a reaction quite that severe, either but have
heard of them having limps or sore limbs, etc. Do you see any swelling on or around the
injection site?
Is her beard darkened at all? Which anti-inflammatory medication did the vet give her?
What other insects have you tried for her? They do tend to get picky with their eating.
You could try phoenix/calcium worms, or silkworms if you can to see if she is interested in
those.
For now, if you can lower the basking area if she is having trouble climbing that would help
her out so she doesn't hurt herself more.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Alliemc1234

Original Poster
Drache613":147rb8t6 said:
Hello,

I am so sorry that happened. I haven't heard of a reaction quite that severe, either but have
heard of them having limps or sore limbs, etc. Do you see any swelling on or around the
injection site?
Is her beard darkened at all? Which anti-inflammatory medication did the vet give her?
What other insects have you tried for her? They do tend to get picky with their eating.
You could try phoenix/calcium worms, or silkworms if you can to see if she is interested in
those.
For now, if you can lower the basking area if she is having trouble climbing that would help
her out so she doesn't hurt herself more.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

There is no swelling or any apparent discomfort of that limb, it's just seems paralyzed and she drags it around. Luckily, I reached out to someone on here who went through the same thing 10 years ago and he said his bearded dragon got better after 2-3 weeks, so fingers crossed. On his post people mentioned that the vet could've severed a nerve and it could be nerve damage or something. She usually get hornworms, wax worms, earth worms, meal worms, dubia roaches, and crickets but I don't have access to those right now, I think she's just being temperamental about her food choice. The previous guy also said his also stopped eating as well for a few days after the shot and started eating regularly again after their BD got used to it's limp leg. I don't know what anti-inflammatory the vet gave me, it's in prefilled syringes with no label and I give her 1 a day. Seems like the vet took responsibility for what happened to her because they gave me the meds for free and offered a free exam but I'm not sure I want to take her back there ever again after that happened.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That was my thought, which is somewhat common, a nerve is damaged or hit which renders
the limb injured, etc. A lot of times, it doesn't last very long but it just depends on the extent
of the damage.
How is she doing today, any improvements? That was very nice of the vet then, to give you
the anti-inflammatory meds free of charge along with a free exam. It isn't often that they take
responsibility & admit fault. That is entirely up to you as to whether or not you take her back
there, if she is a decent vet hopefully that wouldn't happen again. I am always cautious as well
when something like that happens.
They do get picky with their foods but she will most likely go back to her favorites soon! Let us
know how she is doing.

Tracie

Alliemc1234

Original Poster
Drache613":1i17uuau said:
Hello,

That was my thought, which is somewhat common, a nerve is damaged or hit which renders
the limb injured, etc. A lot of times, it doesn't last very long but it just depends on the extent
of the damage.
How is she doing today, any improvements? That was very nice of the vet then, to give you
the anti-inflammatory meds free of charge along with a free exam. It isn't often that they take
responsibility & admit fault. That is entirely up to you as to whether or not you take her back
there, if she is a decent vet hopefully that wouldn't happen again. I am always cautious as well
when something like that happens.
They do get picky with their foods but she will most likely go back to her favorites soon! Let us
know how she is doing.

Tracie

She's eating again, but no improvement so far :( I have been doing range of motion exercises with her to keep her joints from becoming stiff but it's still just a limp noodle. It been 2 days so I think it's more than just her being sore from the shot and she doesn't seem like she's in pain. Hopefully it's only temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom