HELP MY BEARDED DRAGON JUST BIT OFF HIS TOENAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP!
I have posted another topic about this, but it was for his hurt finger, it was cut, but it healed so we didn't think much of it. Today he bit off his toenail on the hurt finger, please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok for now put some raw unpasteurized honey on it Manuka works good - keep crickets out of tank if your feeding as a feeder--- they will go straight to the toe- the honey will prevent infection- ahbd and or Tracie can advise more on what to do w/ it
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he bit it off, it was probably bothering him. As mentioned, keeping infection risk down is the key at this point. The honey may help, but I've found it to be too sticky for feet and hands - winds up picking up lots of dirt and debris. I would also be concerned about the taste inviting further bites. Some plain neosporin might be the best route in this case. Try to keep it as clean as you can. Hopefully it will just heal over and not cause further problems.

bossdragon

Original Poster
Thanks
He has also started to lick it sometimes, what should I do about that, and will the neosporin hurt him?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
plain neosporin is OK, just use the original without any pain relievers in it. You can try covering it with a bandage, but in my experience they don't like or understand that sensation and will nip at it to try and remove the bandage.

bossdragon

Original Poster
I put a paper towel with a little tape (to hold it together) over his whole arm and he seems not to mind it. I think he keeps scratching it against his rock because my sister thought he bit another finger, there was so much blood. I also removed his bark and placed carpet instead tho so no dirt or splinters can get in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom