Sudden Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

xashleyxdianex

Hey everyone. Sorry to make this my first post but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or has any ideas on what may have happened.

My beardie, Little Dude, passed away this morning he was 2 years old. He had a pretty uneventful life health wise until around Thanksgiving, when he started star gazing and flipping onto his back. He received a series of 3 antibiotic/vitamin shots from the vet and seemed to be improving. The vet did comment that his color seemed off.

Around New Years one of his eyes starting swelling, we had sand in the tank because we didn't realize it could cause issues and we assumed he had sand in his eye and started flushing it out daily because otherwise he seemed fine. Saturday I noticed his beard was black and the back of his head and beard appeared swollen on the same side as his eye. Unfortunatley he declined very quickly after that and none of the emergency vets in my area see beardies so I was unable to get him seen. Last night he started bleeding from his mouth and passed sometime during the night.

Here are a couple images from Saturday night.
110138-2318424103.jpg
110138-4318851894.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats too bad I'm sorry for your loss.

What type of lighting did you have in your tank?

The stargazing and flipping into the back could have been ADV or it could have been from sever MBD due to improper calcium or vitamin absorption.

-Brandon

xashleyxdianex

Original Poster
Thank you. He had a Reptisun T5 bulb and a couple of Zilla Mini Halogen bulbs (one on constantly during the day and the other on if the temperature dropped). He was in a 4'x2'x2' enclosure.
Though for most of his life (until a few months ago) he had a coil uvb and a smaller tank.

I have another beardie that I got a couple months before him and thinking back he never seemed to look as good or get as big as my other one. I assumed it was just because he was younger or the other one was just bigger but now i'm wondering if there maybe was something wrong all along that I should have caught earlier.

Also thought I would add that we got him from a chain pet store and the other one from a local pet store.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he had an underlying health issue all along. Atadenovirus is a strong possibility. It sounds like he may have had organ failure at the end. Poor guy. I don't think there is anything you could have done to change the outcome though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost your boy, so suddenly, that is so devastating. :cry:
It sounds like some type of kidney or liver failure, with blood involved. He most likely had some
health issues when you got him.
My condolences to you.

Tracie

xashleyxdianex

Original Poster
Thank you both. I know there's no way of knowing for sure what happened at this point but I appreciate the responses, mostly for easing my mind a little bit.

I'm so sorry ? I just lost my Pancake pretty suddenly yesterday, so I know how you’re feeling.

If I were you, I’d have an autopsy done to determine the COD. If it was something you unintentionally caused, you’ll want to know so you can make sure it won’t happen again. If it’s not your fault in any way, knowing that is a huge weight off your shoulders.

xashleyxdianex

Original Poster
reereejugs":1ichx2fp said:
I'm so sorry ? I just lost my Pancake pretty suddenly yesterday, so I know how you’re feeling.

If I were you, I’d have an autopsy done to determine the COD. If it was something you unintentionally caused, you’ll want to know so you can make sure it won’t happen again. If it’s not your fault in any way, knowing that is a huge weight off your shoulders.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I love the name Pancake! My other beardie's name is Sushi. :lol:

I wish I would have thought of an autopsy before I had him cremated. I do plan to get Sushi a full check-up and testing for parasites and anything else my vet feels is relevant. My dragons didn't live together but they did use the same feeding area and have came in contact with each other so it would probably make me feel better.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
That’s horrible, I’m sorry. Make sure you wipe everything down and sanitize surfaces before your other beardie comes into contact with those surfaces just in case ADV is responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom