Help!! Cookie ate a wolf spider!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I saw a wolf spider in my home office. I don't like to kill them, so I left it be. A few hours later, I crawled around on my hands & knees looking for it. I didn't see it anywhere and figured it moved on. So, I then let Cookie out for her runaround time. Unfortunately, she spotted the damn thing, darted over, and gobbled it up before I could stop it from happening.

How dangerous is this for her? Is this an emergency vet situation? Or a "wait a couple days and keep an eye on her, but take her for a fecal test" situation? My usual exotics vet is closed today, so I'm hoping someone here can let me know how dire this is.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is nothing wrong with them eating spiders. The only potential issue would be if you spray pesticides, but the spider would probably be dead long before it got in sight of your dragon if it was exposed to pesticides.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
EWWWWWWWWWW--- I am not a expert on insect eating as far as spiders etc---- has she had any reaction yet ? Is she black bearding ? Usually if they have eaten something toxic it will start to have adverse effects right away -- its good to have some charcoal on hand for things like this if needed -- AHBD or Tracie or one of the other members w/ more experience w/ this can help
Karrie

Littlebuddysmomma

Original Poster
Thank you. She does seem fine... she’s basking currently. I’ll stop panicking and just be sure to get a decal done in case of parasites.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Venom is different than poison. Wolf spiders are venomous, so eating their venom isn’t going to hurt anything in any way. The venom is only toxic if it’s injected into your bloodstream and you happen to be another spider or something small like that.
With that said, I wouldn’t go buy a big bag of wolf spiders or intentionally set your lizard to go catch and eat them, but an accidental ingestion won’t hurt them unless bug spray was used.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, she should be fine, but I feel sorry for the wolf spider though!
If it would have been a black widow or brown recluse then that may have warranted a vet
visit or a bite from them.
She should pass it through relatively easily.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom