Help! New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckythedragon

My new bearded dragon (about 2 months old) refuses to eat. I recently received her as a Christmas gift and I am worried about her health. I offer her greens, crickets, and even wax worms trying to get her to eat. Her basking spot is about 106, the ambient temp is around mid 90's, and the cool side is low 80's. The substrate is carpet. She was eating around 5-10 crickets a day for the first few days, but she started shedding a day ago and has not eaten anything since. She basks for most of the time and she only comes down to eat if I move her myself. She has been pooping fine the whole time also. Please help I am worried about her health.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sometimes they lose their appetite when they shed. Has she been drinking anything ? Try dripping water on her nose using a spray bottle or eyedropper. Do it very slowly to give her a chance to realize it's a drink. BTW, what type of uvb lights do you have and can you post pics of your baby and the set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Duckythedragon

Original Poster
110117-7711675074.jpg
110117-9021194768.jpg
Thank you for replying. I have been misting her and she will lick the drops off in order to keep her hydrated but I can try using a syringe. I only have the box of one of the bulbs that I am using but the other one came with the tank and is at least 100w also. The picture of her was taken a few days ago before she started shedding. (The other bulb that I dont have the box of is the one that is the UVB bulb.
110117-2364623854.jpg

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
If that's a double-dome light fixture and you have a screw-in "coil" UV bulb, you'll want to change that out as quickly as possible; dragons do best with a long tube UV bulb that stretches about 1/2 to 3/4 the length of their tank. I use and recommend Arcadia, but there are other good brands out there, too. Just make sure your new fixture is inside the tank, and doesn't have any plastic over it. That could be part of the reason your little one is off her feed.

Also, if she just came into your home on 12/25, she might be experiencing relocation stress. It can take them a couple of weeks to settle into their new digs. Between that and the shedding, it's not surprising that she's not eating much. They're anxiety-causing little pets, that's for sure! :)

Duckythedragon

Original Poster
Quick update: She had a mucus like poop but after that she perked up a bit. We decided to give her some mealworms (as a last resort) and she ate those fine. I think she may have wanted some variety in her diet but I am concerned since I have read that mealworms are bad for babies, but that is the only thing that she will eat

Edit: I also read that mealworms are addictive (we fed those to her on the first night she was here). Is this true?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah mealworms are somewhat addictive and can cause impaction in babies if they eat too many or if the temps. aren't high enough for digestion. It's best to keep trying crickets but a few mealworms now + then are O.K as well. Keep mealworms at a cool room temp.[ 60 - 72 or so ] so they are active and eating in bran and add a piece of healthy veg. like a piece of a collard green leaf, zucchini, mustard green, etc. That way they are more nutritious.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree get rid of the coil --- the health of the dragon is at stake w/ the coil --- the do not provide adequate UVB for your dragon-- you need 24" fixture like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22" --- this needs to be replaced ASAP-- they will go thru relocation stress but your basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stick ons they are inaccurate of 105-110 and UVB are the most important thing in the tank --- those lights control the over all health and behavior of your dragon--- she needs salads every morning here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
your insects need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -- I would look at getting her some BSFL they are a great staple feeder feed as many as you want and add them to the top of her salads as lures to the bowl you will need a glass or ceramic bowl that insects cannot get out of -- any more questions please ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom