Tail rot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordFreezer

I'm worried about my new bearded dragon. When we got her she had a grey tip and it was bent. I didn't think it was anything to worry about until now. Now her tail is bleeding and it looks super dried up. It's very minimal blood and it isn't actually like dripping or anything. I was just curious if this was tail rot or not and wether or not a betadine solution would cure it as it says online.
109955-8345477911.jpg

This isn’t as much tail rot as it is a tail injury. That part of the tail you could put betadine on to keep it from getting infected but it’s more than likely going to fall off eventually or need to be taken off. The fact that there is blood (even a little) is a good sign as that means the tissue on her tail isn’t entering a state of necrosis yet. You can also try using a small amount of honey on the tail as well, just be careful with feeders as they will be attracted to this tail while it’s an open injury.

LordFreezer

Original Poster
Shadowablaze":1hu84l6o said:
This isn’t as much tail rot as it is a tail injury. That part of the tail you could put betadine on to keep it from getting infected but it’s more than likely going to fall off eventually or need to be taken off. The fact that there is blood (even a little) is a good sign as that means the tissue on her tail isn’t entering a state of necrosis yet. You can also try using a small amount of honey on the tail as well, just be careful with feeders as they will be attracted to this tail while it’s an open injury.

After a few weeks of the betadine and if the tailpiece is still there should I take her to the vet to get it removed or do you think a vet wouldn't be necessary? Vets are kinda pricy around me so I would like to avoid it but if it's necessary I'm willing to go.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That is both an injury and rot. The injured piece has died already. I agree with the betadine treatment but I would actually use clean scissors to cut slightly above the injured part. It is not a big deal to do this, a quick cut, gauze with betadine if there's a bit of bleeding [ which won''t be much ] and it's done. They don't feel much pain back there at all, lizards are built that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom