Constipated/Impacted bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melaniec

So I've got a 3 year old beardie with muscular dystrophy with slight paralysis. Its been a little over a week since she's pooped and I'm starting to get worried shes either constipated (if that's a thing for beardies) or impacted. She's on repticarpet, was previously on straight calcisand for 3 years but has been on the carpet and regularly using the bathroom for the past 4 months. She has a 50 watt basking bulb and 26 watt UVB bulb, 101° basking temperature. She's on a diet of wax worms, super worms, crickets (freeze dried & live), broccoli and collard greens. I don't give her baths anymore because she can't support herself in there and we've had 2 drowning scares already. What can I do to help her pass her bowels?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It's not uncommon for them to not go poop for days sometimes weeks-- I would lay off the wax worms or feed very sparingly- the are very fatty and long term can cause liver damage--- please no more broccoli here's a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Your uvb your using is in a dome w/ reflector and unobstructed w/ a distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor
Karrie

Hi there,

I doubt the muscular dystrophy is having an impact on diet, though it is possible. Have you tried hand feeding. I generally do not advise that, but it may be needed in this circumstance. Keep an eye on her weight. Check to ensure she isn't at an unhealthy weight. You can learn how to tell at the link below.

https://www.cliffhangerreptiles.com...hssc=753710.1.1608438144853&__hsfp=2833492646

Everything with your setup seems fine. Generally, the calcisand would not be causing an issue since it has been so long. Nevertheless, calcisand is not good. Haha.

You can try administering a product like reptiboost to spike her appetite and in turn defecate. Nonetheless, it isn't uncommon for dragons to go without eating. Ensure that she is not losing weight, is alert, and she should return to normal digestion.

Do bear in mind, many bearded dragons really slow down in the winter months. This is not uncommon, not is it an issue.

For hydration, mist her every other day. You may also mist her greens. This is a suitable alternative for the scinairo.

Hope this helps.

Melaniec

Original Poster
Okay I'll check out that chart and cut the wax worms out. And yes it's in a reflective dome 6.5 inches above the spot, no obstruction in between the lighting & the basking spot

Melaniec

Original Poster
I wasn't sure if the MD would have any affect so I just threw it in there lol. But she is a healthy weight for her size, although her past owners had done something to have stunted her growth; albeit she is a healthy weight for her size. She's as active as she could be, and has been since we've rehabilitated her to the best health.

At first we were feeding her with tongs but she's become strong enough to chase the food/ eat it out of a bowl herself. As for drinking I've been dropping water on her nose to drink it like that because I don't trust enough to keep a bowl of water in with her.

I've started misting her weekly as of 2 weeks ago to make up for bath time, and so far so good. I'll invest in some reptiboost for her ASAP. thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom