Need Help with Necrosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbochelen

So long story short my elder brother got a Beardie for his daughter about a week ago. I call him Nemo.
So Nemo was offered to my brother for free from PetSmart because Nemo had a missing toe. The on-staff "Vet" said it was caused by poor shedding. I have two Beardies myself I educated them from day one on all the essentials and told them to keep an eye on the dark "hand" of his that he lost his toe on. Welp on Christmas Eve two more toes on the same hand are gone. They said they didn't see his toes in his enclosure.
He's been with me for two days and ill be having him for about a week while they are on holiday.
He is completely normal he acts like his hand is not a problem.
From other posts I have read on here I have started to do the following regiment
*daily bath 20 minutes+
*diluted betadine and Neosporin

I need help resolving this there is only one vet even close that does reptiles and is not taking any new patients. I'm a little lost on what I need to do right now besides what I'm doing. I have cared for several animals from farm animals to pets. so I'm comfortable doing whatever I need to but sadly vets not available according to my reptile supplier there are only two in the area and one he will never trust again so I'm not gonna risk it and the other is not taking any new pets because of the extreme restrictions we have right now due to covid. I'm reaching out to every one of my vet tech friends to see if they know anything that could help.

110064-5935981190.jpg
110064-9697703770.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your pics did not post- see if they downloaded when you click on XIMG you should see them then click on the pic it should post-- is the toe infected if it is you can put some raw unpasteurized honey on it like Manuka make sure there are No crickets in the tank- they will go straight for the toe
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get some raw honey on that ASAP-- use this website to find a vet www.arav.org if you can get a vet you need to call them asap and tell this is a emergency- that infection is creeping up the arm and if it gets into the blood stream any further it will end up in the vital organs
Karrie

dbochelen

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2x3imtul said:
Get some raw honey on that ASAP-- use this website to find a vet http://www.arav.org if you can get a vet you need to call them asap and tell this is a emergency- that infection is creeping up the arm and if it gets into the blood stream any further it will end up in the vital organs
Karrie

Thank you so much for the link no one had any answers for me. I just got off the phone with the vet and told them about the situation and that I marked the arm a couples days ago and it has not spread and what treatment I’m doing. They said that everything I’m doing is perfect. One thing I forgot to post earlier was that when I have soaked him and applied treatment, the darker skin was coming off, almost like molting, in some areas. I honestly think the PetSmart Vet misdiagnosed his molting issue and I think this is layers of dead molt, cutting off circulation to the front paw. The only reason he is not seeing a vet ASAP, the vet said there are no openings anytime soon and that it is not life threatening. But he is scheduled for the soonest available appointment.
THANKS FOR THE HELP! I will keep updating.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please do I am going to flag the post to Tracie our vet tech mod -- she can help as well --- shes on late at nite --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one, that cannot feel good at all! I agree, I don't think it looks like gout but retained
shed is probably the culprit. Does it look like he might have been bitten or attacked at the pet
store or not?
Go ahead & bathe him daily, & use a small soft toothbrush on that hand to gently scrub to see
if any of that skin will loosen up & slough off. You can use raw, unpasteurized honey, coconut
oil or antibiotic ointment to put on it to help keep it from getting infected.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

dbochelen

Original Poster
Today was a lot better and I'm relieved. I have been using a qtip and gently removed the slough off after soaking his hand in betadine/water solution three times a day. A lot came off and I used Neosporin. I've been treating it like tail rot.
110064-8231799733.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom