Jumped out of hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorienP

My 3 month old bearded dragon jumped out of my hands in its enclosure. now whenever it inhales i notice one side goes in a little more than the other. i think it hurt its rib and i think i should take it to the vet but i want to make sure. it's still energetic and running around but im super scared that its hurt.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry this happened, they seem to love jumping from things!
Is your dragon's beard or tail darkened right now? Do you possibly have any pictures
you could show for us to see the physical differences on the rib cage?
If he/she is still active that is a good sign that there aren't any serious injuries thus far.
How is the appetite, has he eaten anything since the incident?
How far did he jump & did he land on carpet or a harder surface?

Tracie

DorienP

Original Poster
his tail isn't dark and since he's so small he only eats around the size of one mealworm every few hours, which he has been doing. i dont know if i can post a vid here but i will since a pic isnt enough to . ive uploaded it to yt here https://youtu.be/ZUf8NpdH3Jc

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, has his breathing slown down some now? Has he eaten
anything yet?
He is a little one, but should be eating daily at his age. Do you have any small crickets for
him, also?

Tracie

DorienP

Original Poster
He is breathing properly and eating every few hours. I'm getting crickets today but he eats about half of the 10 within 10 minutes. i dont know if that should be happening or not since i was told he would eat the amount he need himself

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At his age, he should be eating at least 40 crickets daily, for growth. Are you giving him a
5-10 minute window to eat his insects?
Has his behavior changed any, such as a darker than normal beard or lethargic behavior?

Tracie

DorienP

Original Poster
well i did not know that he should be eating that many daily. i havent been feeding that many crickets because of my lack of knowlege but his beard has not gotten any darker. he also only behaves lethargically when the heat and uv lamp are off, otherwise he chases his own reflection. also when i gave him crickets he didnt eat that all 10 in one day. and for growth i give him pellets that the pet store recommended

DorienP

Original Poster
also i forgot to say this, but the pellets are to be put into a small amount of water and turned into mash

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
That is normal for him to be lethargic when the lights are off, if he isn't very warm, etc.
Do you crush up the pellets for him then, or soften them with water before he eats them?
Yes, at his age, they do need a pretty good amount of food, to support their growth initially.
He will slow down after about 8 months or so on eating.

Tracie

DorienP

Original Poster
i do not crush the pellets because they dissolve in water by themselves. he hasn't been eating it yesterday so i gave him the recommended amount of crickets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please dont leave any crickets in the tank -- they come out at nite and bite --- how is he doing w/ the eating the amount you fed did he eat them all? I would stop feeding the pellets and get him on fresh veggies here is a nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --- I would get some BSFL you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so they cant get out http://www.symptonbsf.com they start shipping Monday -- do not dust them they are a great staple feeder for babies feed as many as you want -- rinse the salads before serving he get will lots of moisture from them --- make sure your dusting the crickets w/ calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding --
How long have you had him? I would let him acclimate to your tank and surroundings -- they are terrible about jumping when they are so little -- they seem to think they can fly --- please make sure you have your hand over his back when handling him --- that will prevent him from jumping -- no shoulder riding either --
If you have any more questions please ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom