Beardie Weird Egg Laying

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon Jaxie is laying eggs, unsure if they are fertile or not (I'll explain in a second). A couple of days ago she laid maybe 5 eggs but I got to them too late and they dried out. I could still feel eggs in her stomach. The only thing is, it's too early for her, I can't see the bumps in her stomach yet and the eggs seemed a tad small. Anyways, later that night, I had her out and she laid another egg with me there. I put the egg in the incubator, as I wasn't sure if it was fertile or not and wanted to make sure. (It's white but also is squishier than most eggs so I'm really not sure). She hasn't laid an egg since. I still can't see the bumps in her stomach. What's going on? Is she egg bound? Is there anything I can do? Yes, she has had access to a male, which is why I think that the eggs may be fertile. Yes, it's late for eggs in the year, but he was doing mating things so... anyways. Help!! Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is Jaxie? Is she showing any signs of distress such as a black beard, lethargic
behavior or restlessness? Is she eating anything right now?
A lot of times, you wont be able to feel the eggs if they are not all dropped yet. Since she
did already lay some eggs, though not many, she may still have more eggs that will be laid.
Have you made a lay box for her yet?

Tracie

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
Jaxie is 3 1/2 years old. She isn't showing any signs of distress, and her belly isn't black, so she isn't stressed. She's not lethargic or restless. And she definitely is eating. Lots. She ate so many crickets yesterday. When will she lay the other eggs? Are the eggs she has already laid premature? Yes, she does have a lay box.

Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very interesting. So if she is still eating, then, if she has more eggs they are likely
not quite ready to be laid yet since she hasn't lost her appetite. If she stops eating much at
all, & becomes more pear shaped then more eggs have dropped. Though sometimes they
will have eggs & you can hardly tell at all. Usually a lack of appetite & round belly are the
give aways though. I am glad you have a laybox for her though, just in the case she would
prefer that.
The eggs she laid previously were probably infertile, just based on your description of them.
It could be several weeks or so before she lays the others, if she doesn't reabsorb them for
some reason. Be sure to keep her calcium intake up as well.

Tracie

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
Okay, thanks for the info! Will the eggs still in the beardies' womb be infertile, then, if the previous ones were? I've been giving her extra food, yes, and calcium to keep her calcium intake at a healthy level.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If the eggs were fertilized at some point, they will be fertile when laid. Sometimes though,
they can have a clutch which have some fertile & possibly a few infertile included along with
them.
Ok, that sounds good. Keep up her calcium & food intake to help her out. Let us know how
she is doing.

Tracie

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
Jaxie is doing well. She's been digging around her lay box with increased attention, and the eggs in her stomach feel bigger, so I think she's due pretty soon, ie. in a week or so.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds about right, if she has been digging around quite a bit, & you can feel the eggs in
her belly it shouldn't be too long. Is she eating very much right now?
Keep us posted on her. I hope she doesn't have any trouble laying her eggs.

Tracie

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
She's eating a lot. The other day, I put a new plant in her enclosure and she tried to eat that! No, she's eating like a pregnant woman. I can definitely feel the eggs in her, and she spent an hour digging around yesterday in her dig box.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good she has a big appetite, so she is getting some nutrition into her! Hopefully she
will make herself a nice laying burrow too.
What plant did you put in her tank?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, they are awful about chewing on fake plants, so I'm glad that you did take it out!
You could replace it with an herb or something edible perhaps.

Tracie

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
Yes, I'm planning on placing plants in their cages and eventually even making them bioactive cages. Oh, I definitely know about their plastic-eating tendencies. My savannah monitor Pallie actually ingested a piece of hard, penny-sized plastic this last summer, and tries to eat her cage decor regularly so I'm pretty used to switching plants in all my lizards' cages.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds like a plan! Let us know how things are coming along with her. I hope that
she lays her eggs soon & doesn't have any trouble with them.

Tracie

SavannahDragons

Original Poster
Jaxie laid her eggs today... but she didn't lay them in her lay box, choosing instead to lay them on her basking spot, and they dried out, poor baby eggs, before I could get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom