New baby beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddyanddrogon

Hello there! I am new to the Forum. So- HELLO :blob5:
I got my baby beardie Drogon 8 days ago. First-time beardie owner. I know they need some time to settle in but he really worries me. He is in a 40-gallon tank with his basking spot on 110F and his cold area on 85-95F. I got a 10.0 UVB light reptisun. I feed him crickets, dubia roaches, and greens. He's been eating on and off but only a couple of feeders and one piece of green a day. I offer him his food every 2 hours. He usually only eats once a day. I powder his food with calcium and vitamins. I feed oranges and carrots to the feeders. He hasn't been eating since yesterday. All he does since yesterday evening is hiding. I got him standing with me on my desk so he can see me and my fam and gets used to us. I try not to take him out. He poops daily. I turn his lights off and on at the same time daily. The company I got him from said he's about 2.5 months old. Could it be that he's going into shed mode? I am really worried and on my wit's end. I just want him to be a happy lil dragon. Please help! :cry:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Welcome to the forum, but sorry you are having some trouble with your dragon already.
Is the Reptisun 10 a long tube or a compact/coil bulb? What are you using to measure
his basking temperatures with?
Which feeders are you giving to him?
The temperatures may be a bit off. The basking temperatures sound fine if they are in
the range of 95-110F but the cooler end should be a little less hot. Those temperatures
only need to be in a range of 78-82 or so. He could be getting a little too hot which can
affect his appetite quite a bit.
If he is getting ready to shed, that can also affect his appetite & his mood overall.
Do you have pictures of him, along with your tank setup you could post?

Tracie

maddyanddrogon

Original Poster
Drache613":34y3oklm said:
Hello,

Welcome to the forum, but sorry you are having some trouble with your dragon already.
Is the Reptisun 10 a long tube or a compact/coil bulb? What are you using to measure
his basking temperatures with?
Which feeders are you giving to him?
The temperatures may be a bit off. The basking temperatures sound fine if they are in
the range of 95-110F but the cooler end should be a little less hot. Those temperatures
only need to be in a range of 78-82 or so. He could be getting a little too hot which can
affect his appetite quite a bit.
If he is getting ready to shed, that can also affect his appetite & his mood overall.
Do you have pictures of him, along with your tank setup you could post?

Tracie

Hey Tracie,

Thank you for your reply. I have attached a pic of his viv and also a pic of his tail. I think he might be shedding because his tail has this bright part and the rest of him is greyish. But I haven't found any skin. His cold side is on 81F. I have the bulb that came with the kit and I also bought a 10.0 long tube. I gave him a bath yesterday which he seemed to enjoy. Today he is hiding again. :( oh and for some reason today the humidity meter that I have in there shows 40. so on the tropical side. I usually have 30!? I have no water in there since I feed him with the pipette and no food as well. what could that come from? Oh, and I measure the temp with a temp gun. I feed him crickets, dubia roaches, and waxworms. I asked the company where I have him from what they fed and they said crickets and mealworms. he likes both but the dubia roaches are his fave I think. The glass dish that is in the tank is to feed the crickets without them running away. the dubia and his greens I feed with the tongs.

109978-8550568404.jpg
109978-2499362799.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your UVB is a T 8 or a T 5-- it looks like a T 8 w/ that being said please move the T 8 into the tank - the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and there should be no clear plastic cover over the bulb - that too will block the rays --- here are some things to hang inside the tank place a piece of basking decor directly underneath approx 6-8 inches for a Reptisun bulb or 10-12" for a Arcadia 12% D3 bulb
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line - potted plant wire hangers-- and these I found work really good https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Your humidity is fine - I would recommend getting a digital probe thermometer -- petco or petsmart for $8 -- sometimes IR guns do not read correctly because of the material the piece is made out of or they do not read off of hammocks -- its best to have one on hand
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom