Baby has dead tail tip- breeder told me to clip off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moogle217

Hello! I received a new little baby from a reputable breeder last week. Unfortunately when she arrived, the end of her tail seemed very dry, hard and bent. My other beardie never had a full tail, so I was unsure how the tip of the tail behaves during a shed.

I sent the breeder a photo asking if this was tail rot. She told me it was not, and that it was just dead tissue. She told me to clip the dead bit off and then spray it with hydrogen peroxide.

I’m pretty nervous and wondering if I should fork out the dough to have a vet take care of it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and successfully combatted it.

(I’d add a photo, but I have no idea how to add photos to posts here. If someone could help with that too it would be very appreciated!)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

I wouldn't cut the tail at all without consulting with a vet. Sometimes they have a tail that was damaged by a tankmate at some point and it doesn't necessarily get infected or progress. I would take frequent photos of the tail and monitor it to make sure the damaged area isn't traveling up the tail. That might indicate infection and need quick treatment from a vet. If the damaged area remains the same, then it isn't likely to cause a problem and may wind up falling off on its own.

Moogle217

Original Poster
109965-1584986020.jpg

Thank you for your help!
Yeah I really don’t want to clip it myself and risk infection- I don’t know what I would be doing there, and she’s just so young and fragile

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The end is definitely damaged and dead tissue. Hopefully that's the end of it and no infection will occur. I'd just monitor it closely for now to make sure the crimped area doesn't appear to expand up the tail any further.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's about an inch worth of tail. If the breeder did not disclose this at time of purchase you need to ask for a discount. If they don't agree post about it on their website and/or all the beardie forums. That's like selling damaged goods but hiding the damage. Keep a very close eye on it and post pics here weekly to see how it's doing. If you need to at some point you CAN snip it off, they do not feel much pain back there and it should heal quickly. A little watered down betadine can be applied now and if + when you cut it.

Moogle217":3h0o1uwt said:
Hello! I received a new little baby from a reputable breeder last week. Unfortunately when she arrived, the end of her tail seemed very dry, hard and bent. My other beardie never had a full tail, so I was unsure how the tip of the tail behaves during a shed.

I sent the breeder a photo asking if this was tail rot. She told me it was not, and that it was just dead tissue. She told me to clip the dead bit off and then spray it with hydrogen peroxide.

I’m pretty nervous and wondering if I should fork out the dough to have a vet take care of it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and successfully combatted it.

(I’d add a photo, but I have no idea how to add photos to posts here. If someone could help with that too it would be very appreciated!)

Hi! I wouldn't risk doing it yourself. The same thing happened with my beardie Lizzie, a year ago. The tip of his tail had tail rot and so I went to the vet, they anesthetized him, amputated the bit of tail, gave me painkillers to give him, and he's perfect now. The end of his tail healed perfectly and it doesn't look manipulated or weird. I would go to the vet, if your funds allow. Otherwise, I think cutting it yourself would be fine. It's just the vet would be really good.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That definitely is damaged there at the end. As stated, you can snip it off, but you would
need to be absolutely sure where the damaged part ended so you didn't get into viable
tissue which would hurt him.
For now, just focus on keeping it clean, use some raw unpasteurized honey or antibiotic
ointment on the end to help with infection. Avoid hydrogen peroxide, it is cytotoxic. You
can use a diluted betadine though to clean it if needed.
Does it seem to be bothering him?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Anesthetizing for a small section like that and painkillers is going overboard though. Anesthesia on a reptile or any creature can have it's own dangers. A quick snip and some betadine + raw honey would take care of it easily. I understand the fear though but I know that it could easily be done by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom