Bearded Dragon Keeps Turning in Circles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I have a few problems with my bearded dragon. First of all, he always goes in circles every few minutes and has a hard time hunting food because he’s always moving his head all the time, like enigma syndrome in leopard geckos. He doesn’t stargaze or have adenovirus, so it has to be something else. He just stares at me or anything else and move his head ( not head bobbing ).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you take a video of his behavior? You can upload video to a host like vimeo or youtube and then post a link to it here.

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1jlfyk3k said:
Can you take a video of his behavior? You can upload video to a host like vimeo or youtube and then post a link to it here.
Ok. Whenever it happens, I’ll record it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB and where in the tank is it? Please NO coils
Karrie

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2tkr6uld said:
What are you using for a UVB and where in the tank is it? Please NO coils
Karrie
So. I am buying long tube UVB light and say some videos saying to put it on both sides, and some saying to put it only on one side. Do you know where would be a good place?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are you using now for a UVB? What do you mean what side to put it on? When you get the video record on youtube and post the link in the message box please
Karrie

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":kjbampo9 said:
What are you using now for a UVB? What do you mean what side to put it on? When you get the video record on youtube and post the link in the message box please
Karrie
Right now, I take my bearded dragon outside when it’s sunny to get heat and UVB. Also, I mean on the cold and warm side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is optimal to have the UVB on the basking side but if its not possible you can put it in the middle of the tank --- distance and placement is crucial here -- what tube did you order a T 5 or a T 8 --- and what brand of bulb are you getting? T 5's have options to placement - if the screen on your tank is a wide holed screen not fine mesh like a screen door it can go on top but I am thinking your going to need to get that into the tank ---- the going in circle sounds like it neurological - but I am not a vet -- has the dragon had NO UVB at all only outside time ?
Karrie

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":29u735rs said:
It is optimal to have the UVB on the basking side but if its not possible you can put it in the middle of the tank --- distance and placement is crucial here -- what tube did you order a T 5 or a T 8 --- and what brand of bulb are you getting? T 5's have options to placement - if the screen on your tank is a wide holed screen not fine mesh like a screen door it can go on top but I am thinking your going to need to get that into the tank ---- the going in circle sounds like it neurological - but I am not a vet -- has the dragon had NO UVB at all only outside time ?
Karrie
I have no idea on which one. Would you recommend to me which one is better? T8 or T5? Which one would be more beneficial? I have a screen with little holes like diamonds, and they are metal. Could you specify on the neurological thing about the going on circles too?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lack of UVB will cause neurological issues also MBD and alot more health issues --- the T 5 is a better bulb than the T 8 -- can you look on your order and tell me what you ordered --- a pic of the screen would be helpful https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --- please post a pic of the dragon and his tank -- its going to help Tracie our vet tech mod see what might be happening here -- shes going to ask about the UVB that is crucial to their environment
Karrie

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":btzft68q said:
Lack of UVB will cause neurological issues also MBD and alot more health issues --- the T 5 is a better bulb than the T 8 -- can you look on your order and tell me what you ordered --- a pic of the screen would be helpful https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --- please post a pic of the dragon and his tank -- its going to help Tracie our vet tech mod see what might be happening here -- shes going to ask about the UVB that is crucial to their environment
Karrie
Ok! Thank you so much! Will the neurological issues be cured with more calcium and UVB over time? Also, the tank is temporary since I just got him. Just a few decorations and paper as his substrate. Can I be able to post the pictures tomorrow? Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so give us back ground on the dragon -- you just got him -- where did he come from and what was his husbandry like when you got him? Please post the pics as soon as you can --- Tracie is on late at nite -- I cant say about the neurological issues Tracie will haft to address those questions since shes the vet tech--
Karrie

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3d94vdo3 said:
Ok so give us back ground on the dragon -- you just got him -- where did he come from and what was his husbandry like when you got him? Please post the pics as soon as you can --- Tracie is on late at nite -- I cant say about the neurological issues Tracie will haft to address those questions since shes the vet tech--
Karrie
Ok. The bearded dragon was my neighbor’s. They got him at a pet store, but they don’t know the age. They never used a special light or UVB on him. They also used a reptile carpet that had fecal matter all over it. They ignored the bearded dragon. When I touched him and took him, I was already a bit informed on how to take care of him because I have a leopard gecko who was also on bad shape, but now he’s so healthy. He always shivers when he walks and goes in circles. When he isn’t in a light, he doesn’t walk or want to do anything. He just lays down with his head flat. The tank is super basic with nothing added yet, since I’m buying decorations and everything he needs. Also, he has just eaten alone for the first time without any help or force feeding! I gave him some super worms as a treat for doing so good! He ate 4, and they were dusted with calcium!

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
The tank is really dirty because of the last owner, but the bearded dragon still tries to move away and to the light! The one light I have right now is a heat lamp. I am also buying a new heat lamp because the one that I have is not giving enough heat, but it’s better than nothing. I’m buying a basking light especially for bearded dragons with a dimmable switch!
109875-5987347159.jpg
109875-8916697930.jpg
As you can see, the bearded dragon is basking right now!

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
Oh! I also found a sperm plug or something along the lines of that in his genitals. I tried a warm bath and soaked it and massaged it. I got a bit out, but it just ripped into two pieces. The other piece is still in his genitals, but hidden. I also think he has clogged sperm plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom