A new issue with Ezekiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyyratt

I'm starting to believe I am cursed when it comes to babies.. I thought everything was going fine until he hurt his front right leg and now it's all going downhill. He's refusing to eat and I now have to force feed him just to maintain his weight. He's acting odd neurologically like walking right off of his hides and basking posts.. Not to mention him just going super still if I'm holding him. Almost like a statue. He also has odd little round lumps on his ankle joints.
I feel like a failure because I'm just screwing up everything it seems! I don't want to lose another baby but it feels like I'm just not made to be a reptile mom. Haha...
There aren't many vets around here who take reptiles, and those who do are 3 weeks out in advance. When we took Corndog to a family friend and certified exotic vet he ended up dying so now I'm terrified it'll happen again.

Info about Zeke:
1 - 2 1/2 months
Last weighed 12g

Setup:
40 gallon tank with screen cover
Zoomed light fixture for 10.0 T5 tube UVB
100W basking lamp as my room gets relatively cold and otherwise I cannot get the temperatures up.
CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) - I live in the north, and again my room gets rather cool.
Temps are 100-110 hot side 70-80 cold side

Pictures:
109146-5916460580.jpg
109146-6293118200.jpg
109146-6017797924.jpg
109146-6553845052.jpg
109146-5916460580.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Zeke is a little cutie pie, very sweet face.
Unfortunately, it appears that he has developed gout. This happens for a number of
reasons though. Where did you get him, a breeder, pet store, etc?
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb is a good bulb. Can you post another picture of the light
placement for us? Is it mounted on top of the screen, or underneath of the screen? Do
you know how far the light is from him? There isn't any plastic covering over the T5 light
is there?
What types of foods & supplementation are you giving to him & what type of gutload/feed
do you give to the insects prior to feeding them to him?
Let us know a little more on your feeding & supplementation so we can try to help more.
To be proactive, you could go ahead & get some black or tart cherry juice to give to him for
help flush out the kidneys. He may need to get started on gout meds. He is too small for a
blood draw though. A lot of vets would do an x-ray to see if there is any tophi (uric acid
crystals) buildup on the joint or joint area.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

pennyyratt

Original Poster
Oh goodness... Zeke is my baby and he really does have a cute face.
I can't believe this still :( I got him from a pet store chain that we knew could be respectable.
At the moment I cannot but I can explain! It is on top of a screen cover. One of those Zoomed ones with the triangular cut outs in the wire. It has no plastic cover on it and was recently put in there. I have a picture of the lid I believe from an older post so I'll attach that!
Food wise it had been crickets, Dubias, occasional wax worms whenever he was shedding and didn't want to eat much, and horn worms. Now that he isn't eating we made a slurry of wax worms and greens to hopefully boost him up. We also have Reptiboost (I believe) on standby.
I don't know what I can do with the vet situation when it comes down to gout meds because every reptile vet is backed up or 6 hours away.. I don't want my boy to suffer and I feel awful for letting this happen even if I couldn't have prevented it. It's just so shocking that he's going downhill so quick. I'll be sure to get my hands on the juice you suggested though!

Screen lid thing:
109146-6468754574.jpg

pennyyratt

Original Poster
Well it seems I was too late. When we went to feed him this afternoon he was limp.. You can put him on his back without fight, black beard. Right now he goes in and out of breathing and moving... Just like how Corndog went. This is sad but I'm more so angry and disappointed at myself for not doing more in time. Thank you for your suggestions though.. I guess from now on I'll do juveniles and not babies. I have terrible luck with them...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no! Poor Zeke, so he has already passed? :cry:
Well, this is definitely not your fault. The genetics of a lot of them are not good. He did seem
to decline pretty quickly though. I am so sorry for your loss.

Tracie

pennyyratt

Original Poster
This is so confusing... He ate a little and then went unresponsive on me... I don't know if I should just let him be or if theres really anything else I can do for him since he seems so sick :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is Ezekiel still with you I hope?
Does he have his eyes open or closed & is he wanting to bask right now? We will try
to help as much as we can. Do you have other pictures of him too?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom