Seddie passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t know where else to post this...
I don’t know what happened. He started black bearding yesterday (which I didn’t know was possible at only 3-4 months old). I just finished putting in new furnishings for him and he seemed to be having a ball, making sure his little lizard butt got on every last area. The beard didn’t go away all evening and I guess I just assumed he was being a drama dragon. He ate, pooped, nothing unusual. I put him to bed in his little sleep sack after lights out. This morning he was still in bed at 10. I took him out and put him under his basking light and went about our normal routine. He’s never been a morning lizard, so I leave him be to eat his veggies until I hear him tap his glass, which has been his way to tell me he pooped. I went to check on him and found him with vomit hanging all around his mouth and his eyes bulging. I grabbed him out and started pulling out undigested lettuce. I took him to the sink and placed him in warm water, massaging his belly. I placed him back under his heat lamp and let him rest. He was very sleepy and obviously exhausted. Then I heard this god awful gagging noise and he was thrashing and fell off his stick and he was on his back limp. I checked his throat and there was no obstruction but he was salivating quite heavily and I just sat with him and rubbed him trying to bring him back around but his breathing stopped. I thought he was gone but then he came back to life and started arching his back and calling in his side and he looked so scared and all I could do was just hold him against my chest and then he was just gone, still clutching my finger.
He had such a rough start in this world and he left it the same and my heart is just broken. I have hopes that he might come back to life but I’m pretty sure he’s passed. His body is stiff and his mouth and eyes are open. Should I give it 24 hours or is he definitely gone? What do you think happened?? I’m so sorry i just...I don’t know what else to do

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What a horrible experience -- :( It almost sounds like a seizure but we need the more experienced on here to give it a guess as to what happened--- I feel horrible for you :cry:
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So sorry for your loss. How awful.

What were the new pieces you put in the enclosure?
Was the lettuce thoroughly rinsed?

-Brandon

SeddieCanuck

Original Poster
109279-2766053966.jpg
All of it was new except his favorite stick and his hammy. And yes, I rinsed his lettuce. You can see his black beard in the photo. I took this right before this all started for his “baby book”. ?

SeddieCanuck

Original Poster
Just to clear up - he was in a 20 gallon, 10.0 Reptisun t5 uv bulb with 75 w white basking bulb. Temps were 110 under lamp area, around 95 in the middle and 75-80 in the cool area. He ate around 20-30 crickets every day and an assortment of lettuces/greens every morning. He also got a slurry every other morning because he had a real distaste for calcium dusting on anything until recently; the last week or so he finally started eating his salad dusted. If you read my very first post on this site, you can see we struggled to keep him alive from day one :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that Seddie passed away.... :cry: He definitely had a rough start in life but I am so
glad that he had you there with him, so he wasn't alone. He was most likely ill from the start as
so many of them are. He definitely had a seizure of some type, possibly due to adeno virus or just
poor genetics, etc.
I am truly sorry for your loss.

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Animals are difficult and traumatic to lose. I’ve had many traumatic experiences with animals dying in horrible ways (including my mom’s boyfriend decapitating a wild fish with a punctured swim bladder and watching the eyes in the head panic, as well as the morning I woke up and picked up my guinea pig and she was stiff as a board.)
I don’t think the feeling of “I couldn’t save them” will ever go away 100%, but it really decreases over time as you realize they aren't suffering anymore and you did the best you could. I take these experiences with me and share them to reassure others that they aren’t alone when it feels like the whole world is in the other room and that it’s torture to ourselves sometimes to befriend creatures we can’t 100% understand. Regardless, the friendship during life far outweighs the pain in the end. When I’m a surgeon, there’s no doubt I’m gonna have to go through traumatic people experiences where people die painfully and rely on me to help. That scares me a lot, but I’m no stranger to the feeling of wishing I wasn’t the one calling the shots in a life or death emergency. If you ever feel uneasy about a traumatic loss of an animal, every pet owner goes through it. I’ve lost hermit crabs, dogs, a cat, horses (not mine, but I was attached), Guinea pigs, fish, and people in ways that make me confident that you’re not alone in your sadness or guilt. Just try not to blame yourself, you really did all anyone could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom