Upper respiratory infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardedowner72

So I adopted a baby bearded dragon almost 3 months ago, it’s about 5-6 months old I think. (I don’t know it’s gender so I’ll just assume male)
T8 UVB light, 30% humidity, 85 degrees on the cool side and 105 in his basking spot. He has 2 heat bulbs on a 12/12 schedule.
Up until last week he’s been eating, drinking, using the bathroom and just running around like a beardie does. He started doing what looks like wheezing. He’ll take deep extended breaths and then release them. He’s become very lethargic, and has lost his appetite. He also has mucus in his eyes that has come and gone with the help of reptisafe eye drops.
I know I need to get him to the vets but I literally financially can’t for another week or 2. Is there anything I can do at home? I feel so terrible?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry to hear your baby is having trouble, wintertime humidity is a huge culprit of
respiratory issues.
Can you try to get the humidity down to under 20% right now, maybe using a dehumidifier?
Or, if you have a ceramic heat emitter you can use that to dry out the air a little more, plus,
keeping him a little warmer overnight can boost his immune system too.
If he is not eating on his own, you can make up some nutritional slurries for him using some
chicken or turkey baby food, blended greens, with squash baby food or sweet potato baby food.
Or if you have fresh squash or pumpkin or sweet potato, then you can blend that up instead. Using
a plastic dropper or syringe, just drip some food onto his snout to see if he will lick the food off of
his snout.
Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures? Be sure his basking
spot temperatures during the day, are optimal in a range of 95-110,but no higher so he doesn't
get overheated.
For his eyes, if they are bothering him, you can use a chamomile tea bag warmed & moistened,
to place over his eyes like you would a warm compress. Be sure it isn't too hot but you can do
that at night, when he is going to sleep. There are healing properties in chamomile. Maybe that
will help to clear up his eyes a little.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Beardedowner72

Original Poster
We’ve been slowly raising his temperatures because the room is getting colder.
Right now we have a humidity gauge & thermometer on both ends of his tank. We’re also getting a dehumidifier sometime this week.
I have baby food to give him and I heard about another type of slurry to give him including Serrapeptase.
Thank you so much for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom