Prolapse! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothy

Hi guys I am writing this while panicked so please excuse any spelling mistakes. So I was just bathing my beardie toothless not even 5 minutes ago when she prolapsed. Basically at first it looked like she was trying to poop so I let her be but after a minute I noticed a urate floating in the bin and when I checked her vent I saw red. It was not a big prolapse at all in fact nothing even extruded at all but her vent looked like it was starting to go inside out and there was pinkish red showing. I tapped it with my finger lightly and there was no blood and it went back in. It has not happened since but Im keeping a close eye on her. She is 2 years old and I do have to admit I was an uneducated crap owner that fist year and was really not ready for a beardie but we got thought that and Im more educated and a better owner now. Back in late september she went on a hunger strike and would not eat. she is already a picky eater and weighed over 500g so she was fine and by mid october was eating again. this is the fist year she has started brumating bus she is still attentive and all but she is on a hunger strike again the thing is that on her hunger strike she did not get any calcium or vitamins so she could have calcium deficiency right now which could be the cause of the prolapse. she also ate a bunch of okra and crickets and has now pooped 2 urates without any poop so It could be impaction too. I have fed her prunes for the last 3 days now and still nothing. lastly she hasn't had a fecal done in a while. so basically I know that I have to take her to the vet but im just wondering the costs. Im in southern Ontario right now and we are headed towards lockdown. Im 16 and I do have a job so I can spare about $500 for vet costs. does anyone know how much a fecal, blood test and xray would cost so I can check for parasites MBD and imaction and how much the treatments cost for each? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Every state is different for vets----- do you have a good vet to take her to? A reptile vet? If not here is a website to find one
www.arav.org
Karrie

Toothy

Original Poster
Ill try to find one and ask for costs though. Is there anything I can do for now though. The prolapse is not out and is not coming back out as far as I can tell. i do think she is straining to poop.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok w/ that being said start feeding her soft foods like canned pumpkin baby prunes unsweetened applesauce --- DO NOT LET THE VET DO AN ENEMA --- it is too hard on them and the last few days we've had some disasters --- the natural laxatives is best for them ---- the prolapse will need to be addressed by AHBD or Tracie our vet tech mod
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, a prolapse is always scary but thankfully it did not actually happen but it has the potential to happen. It's not likely to be from calcium deficiency since many beardies, mine included, brumate every year, they eat no food for months and never prolapse from lack of calcium. Sometimes it's because the dragon is not hydrated enough or eats a ton of insects that can jam up their digestive tract a bit. How many crickets would you say she had ? It's good that you're offering prunes, are those whole fruit or baby food ? You need baby food mixed with water and get some raw honey to add to it. Baby food like sweet potato, squash, prune and canned pumpkin are all natural laxatives. Give her a warmer than usual bath , a little deeper as well . Those things should work and hopefully she won't prolapse.

Toothy

Original Poster
its pure prune baby food. she has about 2 weeks without pooping and thats 15 crickets every other day for the fist week and then after that I got concerned and switched to baby food for the second week.

Toothy

Original Poster
Ill pick up some more baby food tonight and give another bath. ill get her to a vet as soon as I can. I got an estimate of $85 for a checkup and about $40 for a fecal. X rays are more expensive but hopefully it wont come to that. Thanks!

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Hello there :) I'm glad your beardie didn't end up prolapsing! I once had a bearded dragon that prolapsed, and I found that soaking him in a 1" deep sugar bath helped. Not saying this will always work, so I recommend always calling a vet at first and ask what to do. But once the prolapse was back in, I fed soft foods such as Pumpkin Puree, Prunes, baby food, etc. Soft foods are always a good option after a prolapse. They prevent the dragon from having to strain for their next poo, and allow them to heal.

Abby

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she seems to be doing better right now. Are you still feeding baby food too?
Let us know how things are going & how the vet visit goes when you are able to get her
there.
Keep her a little warmer overnight, to help out her system, also.

Tracie

Toothy

Original Poster
Hey, Thought Id update. She had the larges bowel movement I've ever seen this morning :lol:. Still going to go to the vet for a checkup though. Thanks for all the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news to hear, it sounds like she is definitely feeling better. I guess she was
somewhat impacted then!
You are still taking her into the vets then? Let us know how that goes, too. I think she's
going to be just fine now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom