HELP swollen vent

Julezmartin

Original Poster
Drache613":1wo4s9p1 said:
Hello,

Actually, I agree, it does look much improved!
How many Ceftz injections is he due to receive? Did the vet conclude that there was some
type of impaction that had led to some inflammation or some infection in the area?
I am glad to see that he is getting better now. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Hi Tracy,
He was given one ceft injection at the vet and I was given four to take him. She said there was no obstruction on the X-ray she could see, but possibly from the pin worms I’m thinking? Is that possible? I was never really given a conclusion as to the swelling.

Julezmartin

Original Poster
Oh god, I’m so sorry I forgot to mention that she did a fecal and he has pin worms. She said it’s common which I knew but his count is so high so wants to treat it. I gave him a dose of safeguard and three doses of Baycox.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so the pinworm levels were alarmingly high? Baycox should work just fine then, with
3 treatments. Heavy loads of pinworms or coccidia can definitely cause inflammation of
tissues. That was a pretty extreme case I must say for it to have caused such marked
swelling!
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Glactic

109811-5180045217.jpg
Hi, my male bearded dragon is 4 years old and I just noticed today he was straining to poo. A bit of yellow fluid came out. When I picked him up I noticed his vent is very swollen and hard. He is eating, drinking, running around and very alert. I’ve given him 2 baths and one sugar bath as well as massaged his tummy. I’ve also given him some olive oil and calcium water. I have him lying on a warm hot water bottle with a towel over it for extra warmth. His temps are all in the correct range and I keep him on reptile carpet- no loose substrate. Any one have any advice?
109811-2066911282.jpg
109811-84604561.jpg
Reptile carpet is very bad to use for any reptile their toes can get stuck and the carpet now matter how well you wash it holds in a lot of bacteria which I’m assuming is why his vent is swollen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Reptile carpet is very bad to use for any reptile their toes can get stuck and the carpet now matter how well you wash it holds in a lot of bacteria which I’m assuming is why his vent is swollen
What are you feeding for insects and how big are they? Is he hydrated this is very important for pooping-- to get him to poop please feed some plain canned pumpkin w/ a drop or two of olive oil ---

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
While reptile carpet is not ideal there is no substrate that doesn't harbor or spread bacteria at some point. A dragon kept on tile can make a mess that it walks through while the owner isn't home and loose substrate can soak up bacteria if it's not scooped , too.
But this situation has no relation to being on carpet, it's impaction.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom