URGENT: pale, not eating, parasite medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fil4Lyfe

My beardie Fil is 1 1/2 years old./2 months ago he stopped eating. A few worms every couple of days or so but absolutely refusing anything else. We were bathing him once every three days. We didn’t feed him syringe food because we thought he was brumating initially. Started force feeding him blended greens with a little blended dried/gut loaded cricket about a week ago.

Took him to the vet and he didn’t poop for two weeks. When we finally could bring it, Fecal sample contained lots of parasites; he’s been taking pancur and metronidazole as directed for 2 days. Today was the first day he had blood in his pee/poo. Lots of runny liquid. Have been changing paper towels almost obsessively. Today he was also ghost white, his eyes are incredibly sunken in, and he has been black bearded since we force fed him his blended food. He doesn’t look incredibly thin, however, not totally dehydrated.

Is he dying? Has anybody else experienced similar side effects right after beginning medication? Really really worried over here . Thanks for any and all advice ! ❤️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, poor guy. So, was he that ill before you took him in & he started medication?
Can you review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, temperatures,
etc & if possible post some pictures of him & the tank setup too.
Since he is seemingly dehydrated from the looser stools, it is imperative that you try to get some
oral fluids into him. You can use water or water mixed with pedialyte, to help get him hydrated.
Panacur is normally pretty mild for them, but Metronidazole is a bit more harsh. Did they say
what his ailments were, pinworms & flagelletes or amoebas?
If you can get the strength of each medication along with his dose given & his body weight, I
can double check the doses for you.
Is his beard black all of the time too?
Just how much blood was in his stool? That is not good & it could be from a heavy load of
worms, etc passing through causing some damage, or kidney issues.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us, has he gotten any better or worse?
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom